RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

hyhuu

Apr 8, 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #1 of 9 (5489 views)
Shortcut

Fish aid ladder
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know that Yates are real popular but I can't seem to find any information on the web about people's experiences with Fish aid ladder. Does anybody here use Fish's?

On a separate subject, on easy aid is there a difference between etrier vs ladder style? In my limited experience, I feel that they both function equally well.

Thanks.

skiclimb

Apr 8, 2011, 2:51 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Fish aid ladder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Yates ladders..I prefer ladder style aiders as my feet just seem to get in the steps a bit easier. I like supporting FISH over Yates when I have the option. I'd imagine Fish ladders are excellent they are a bit lighter and have an interesting set of top steps but I havn't used em.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Apr 8, 2011, 2:55 PM)

charlie.elverson

Apr 8, 2011, 3:38 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm new to aid, but I own a set of fish ladders. I prefer ladders over etriers. From my limited experience it seems like ladders get a little less tangled since it's all in a straight line instead of zig-zagging. I also think my feet get in them a little easier.

Fish ladders are pretty inexpensive (they were something like half the price of yates or metolius when I bought them) and I'm very happy with mine. I asked for mine to be made with 1" instead of 3/4" webbing. Do you want any specifics?

(This post was edited by charlie.elverson on Apr 8, 2011, 3:48 PM)

hyhuu

Apr 8, 2011, 7:14 PM
Post #4 of 9 (5397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the response. For the Fish aider, I just want to hear how people like them. Strangely enough, I come to like walking up and standing in the etrier a little better because I can have my feet side to side instead of straigh down the fall line. But that's really a minor thing and didn't affect how I climb on easy aid.

skiclimb

Apr 8, 2011, 8:43 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
Thank you for the response. For the Fish aider, I just want to hear how people like them. Strangely enough, I come to like walking up and standing in the etrier a little better because I can have my feet side to side instead of straigh down the fall line. But that's really a minor thing and didn't affect how I climb on easy aid.

use 4 aiders

jmeizis

Apr 8, 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #6 of 9 (5366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Fish ladders. They're nice. I like them better than etriers because they don't tangle up. Even if they get a little tangled up you can use them as is. They're light, pretty cheap. So far they've been durable but that's only on like 20 aid pitches so not a great measure, On thing I think that would improve them (you listening Russ?) would be if individual steps were a little more substantial. Sometimes if I can't see my feet and I'm not in climbing shoes I can't tell if I'm hitting the step because the fabric is kind of soft feeling. I dont' know if stiffer nylon would do the trick or attach some plastic to the instep part but that would be the only thing that sometimes bothers me.

They can feel a bit long which in some circumstances is nice, and others can be a bit of a cluster. I like mine a bit long though.

Partner pbcowboy77

Apr 11, 2011, 7:17 PM
Post #7 of 9 (5283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a pair of fish ladders in 1' wide and loved them. I use Yates now (only because I got them for free) and they are just about the same.

I support both companies and feel both have great products and customer service.

Zac

atg200

Apr 12, 2011, 7:09 AM
Post #8 of 9 (5239 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by atg200 [In reply to]
Report this Post

hyhuu

Apr 14, 2011, 2:59 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] Fish aid ladder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
Etrier style are worthless and need to go the way of the figure 8. This is after using them for 10+ years on hundreds of aid pitches.

Ladders are the way to go. Use 2 - not 4. This after hundreds of aid pitches as a slow aid climber. I more than doubled in speed going from 4 aiders to 2 ladders immediately, and can certainly go faster after getting more dialed in. On real aid the Yates spreader bars are hard to beat. I can more easily top step in a spreader bar yates ladder than I can second step in an aider because of the ease of getting in and out. It feels much more like free climbing. Wish I had switched many years earlier.

What's wrong with figure 8? It can't be completely useless. Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately I started with 2 and can't imagine what a cluster it would be with 4 aiders. I understand that with harder aids it might be neccessary and I'm too chicken to even think of doing such thing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook