RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

michael1245

Apr 18, 2011, 3:06 PM
Post #1 of 12 (6221 views)
Shortcut

Mad Rock Mountaineering Boots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I came across two different mountaineering boots on Mad Rock's website http://www.madrockclimbing.com/products/product_list.asp?_category=110

definitely liking the price. "what you pay for is what you get", of course...but does anyone actually own these or know someone who does and has put them to use?

I'm not going to Pakistan or Alaska with these. My ice climbing is limited to the Northeast (NY, VT).

kobaz

Apr 18, 2011, 3:47 PM
Post #2 of 12 (6185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michael1245] Mad Rock Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

michael1245 wrote:
I came across two different mountaineering boots on Mad Rock's website http://www.madrockclimbing.com/products/product_list.asp?_category=110

definitely liking the price. "what you pay for is what you get", of course...but does anyone actually own these or know someone who does and has put them to use?

I'm not going to Pakistan or Alaska with these. My ice climbing is limited to the Northeast (NY, VT).

For ice climbing I would probably say 'meh'. I ordered a pair online from zappos which has free shipping and free return shipping. I walked around the house for a while and realized they don't fit my feet well. But the tongue is very very soft so they would probably make good hikers assuming you had a good fit.

The soft tongue and soft upper in general would make ice probably a bit more effort than it should be since you wouldn't be able to drop your ankle and just rest.

I kept looking and looking for a double boot that fit my foot... wide with a medium arch. I tried koflach, vasque ice 9000, the vasque radiator, scarpa, none of them fit right. I then moved onto trying single boots like the mad rock and then finally settled on kayland boots.

The kayland boots are awesome for me so far.

michael1245

Apr 18, 2011, 5:29 PM
Post #3 of 12 (6152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Mad Rock Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, kind of figured "meh"...was hoping for a longshot.

I've been spoiled to only ice climb on quality boots...La Sportiva and Scarpa. My guides telling me they retail for $300-$400.

Oh well. You get what you pay for. I'll keep my eye open. Thank man.

altelis

Apr 18, 2011, 6:46 PM
Post #4 of 12 (6125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

michael1245 wrote:

In all and complete seriousness do NOT underestimate how cold it is ice climbing in the NE. Especially if you are getting into multi-pitch, its much harder to keep your feet warm belaying mid-route than many people think.

michael1245

Apr 18, 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #5 of 12 (6114 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by michael1245 [In reply to]
Report this Post

michael1245

Apr 18, 2011, 7:33 PM
Post #6 of 12 (6106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
In all and complete seriousness do NOT underestimate how cold it is ice climbing in the NE.

Oh, I already learned the hard way...haha! First time ice climbing was a lesson cold weather preparedness that I'll never forget!

I didn't see or read anything about these boots not handeling the cold. From what I understand so far it's more of a comfort and physical use issue.

Spending the money on quality boots isn't a problem But, if I can get a deal on cheap and functional boots...I'm all over it.

(This post was edited by michael1245 on Apr 19, 2011, 12:38 PM)

brokesomeribs

Apr 19, 2011, 7:06 AM
Post #7 of 12 (6053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Michael, what size boots do you wear? I have a pair of MR Alpinists you can try on in 11.5 and if you like them, I'll sell them to you for dirt cheap... I dunno, maybe $100?

I got back from Chamonix a couple days ago. I'll be getting back in the gym with regularity and hoping to get outside as much as possible. Let's meet up finally!

brokesomeribs

Apr 19, 2011, 7:10 AM
Post #8 of 12 (6051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Mad Rock Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
michael1245 wrote:

In all and complete seriousness do NOT underestimate how cold it is ice climbing in the NE. Especially if you are getting into multi-pitch, its much harder to keep your feet warm belaying mid-route than many people think.

The Alpinists are as warm (if not warmer) than most other single boots on the market. They're certainly warmer than most of the lightweight singles on the market right now like the LS Trango Primes, Scarpa Phantom Guides, etc. They're probably just as warm as Kayland M11 or LS Nepal EVO boots. I've owned all of the above boots (except the Kayland, but I just spent 3 weeks climbing in the Alps and my partner had them).

altelis

Apr 19, 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #9 of 12 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokesomeribs] Mad Rock Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:
altelis wrote:
michael1245 wrote:

The Alpinists are as warm (if not warmer) than most other single boots on the market. They're certainly warmer than most of the lightweight singles on the market right now like the LS Trango Primes, Scarpa Phantom Guides, etc. They're probably just as warm as Kayland M11 or LS Nepal EVO boots. I've owned all of the above boots (except the Kayland, but I just spent 3 weeks climbing in the Alps and my partner had them).

Good to know. My comment was more about the attitude of "just ice climbing in the NE"...

michael1245

Apr 19, 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #10 of 12 (6018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokesomeribs] Mad Rock Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:
Hey Michael, what size boots do you wear? I have a pair of MR Alpinists you can try on in 11.5 and if you like them, I'll sell them to you for dirt cheap... I dunno, maybe $100?

I got back from Chamonix a couple days ago. I'll be getting back in the gym with regularity and hoping to get outside as much as possible. Let's meet up finally!

Thanks, but that's a couple of sizes too big!

Yeah. Give me a holler.

divnamite

Apr 19, 2011, 1:21 PM
Post #11 of 12 (6007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair AKU Spider 8 1/2 for sale if you are interested.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 20, 2011, 1:42 PM
Post #12 of 12 (5916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [divnamite] Mad Rock Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had 2 pairs of Sportiva boots fall apart. My nepal extreems only lasted 4 season. the heeel cup wore through to the hard rubber. no padding left on the inside. Cold as hell and rubbs your heel raw. the soles delamed as well. The replacment was a preety heavy yellow single boot. mostly plastic lower. i do not remember the model name? the stitching on the sides of both boots blew out this winter. So NO you do not get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay top dollar and the boots fall apart!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook