RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

ctjensen24

Apr 20, 2011, 5:59 AM
Post #1 of 18 (7756 views)
Shortcut

sandals or approach shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to buy some new shoes. I can't seem to decide if I want to wear an approach shoe or light hiker or a pair of chacos. My approach isn't usually very technical but cant be every so often. What would you buy or what do you wear to the crag? I'm just trying to get some feedback so I can make a smart decision. Thanks

enigma

Apr 20, 2011, 6:13 AM
Post #2 of 18 (7746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ctjensen24] sandals or approach shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ctjensen24 wrote:
I'm looking to buy some new shoes. I can't seem to decide if I want to wear an approach shoe or light hiker or a pair of chacos. My approach isn't usually very technical but cant be every so often. What would you buy or what do you wear to the crag? I'm just trying to get some feedback so I can make a smart decision. Thanks

I think it depends on the crag. Usually I wear chacos ,however there are times when you really need a good approach shoe where there are heaver terrain, rocks, hills, sharp cactus, snakes, etc.
My feeling would be to have both available, and make the choice. Also weather does play a part, when its colder, you might be cold with just sandals. Whereas in the cold of winter, socks, and approach shoes or boots may be better.

northfacejmb

Apr 20, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #3 of 18 (7743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chaco's -- they never fail.

Seriously, even when it's cold its not THAT bad. I've worn my chacos on approaches when the temperature was in the 30's and i've been fine. They do a good job of scrambling as well and they feel very secure.

That said, if its any sort of alpine climb or if the approach involves too much 4th class for the chaco's the 5.10 guide tennies are actually lighter than the chacos and they do great on anything you though at em.

sbaclimber

Apr 20, 2011, 7:29 AM
Post #4 of 18 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only places I have so far worn my Chacos, where I sometimes wished I hadn't, were scree fields with blocks bigger than 1'. Besides the danger to my toes, I also discovered that Chaco webbing doesn't like being bashed with sharp basalt edges.

rtwilli4

Apr 20, 2011, 1:27 PM
Post #5 of 18 (7690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a personal preference. If I'm doing a climb with a long walk off, I go to great lengths to keep from having a heavy pair of shoes in my pack. I've been known to walk in and out in flip-flops or even barefoot, but lately I've been using a pair of Sanuks (Christmas present) w/ socks.

For everything else I wear a pair of Evolv approach shoes because I got them on Mountain Project for $20. I used to wear Chacos but someone stole them. They are great, even when it's cold, but they are heavy and $$$. The main thing I loved about them was that I could cross streams w/o having to take them off.

Ideally I'd have a pair of Chacos, a pair of light weight approach shoes that climbed well but also did well on long hikes, and a pair of flops or Sanuks for the easiest approaches or days when I can't be bothered to carry a real pair of shoes up the wall.

darkgift06

Apr 20, 2011, 4:20 PM
Post #6 of 18 (7662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] sandals or approach shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a pair of light trail Patagonia shoes but always clip my flip flops to my bag, then between climbs I can avoid socks & just chill in my flips then if we move to a different crag depending on how far & what kinda hike I'll ether wear my flips or put the shoes back on.. most of the time I find I'm in my flips all day.

theextremist04

Apr 20, 2011, 7:45 PM
Post #7 of 18 (7611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chacos or Five Fingers.

cornstateclimber

Apr 20, 2011, 8:09 PM
Post #8 of 18 (7603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] sandals or approach shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i like my teva sandals. theyve been up talus fields, through streams and waded through rivers fishing. carried heavy loads and thru mud. got em for 3 buks at a garage sale, bareley used. sticky soles, ive clibed in them. and great for just lounging in!

csproul

Apr 20, 2011, 8:43 PM
Post #9 of 18 (7591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have a lot of poison oak/ivy in your area?

lena_chita

Apr 21, 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #10 of 18 (7535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't think it is an either/or choice.

Chaco sandals are great, but i sure wouldn't want to wear them when it is colder then 45F. (my chacos have a toe loop and the straps are made of two thin straps, instead of 1 thick one, so you can't fatten the toe loop and wear them with socks.)

If money is the issue, buy Chacos now, b/c the warm season is starting, and get approach shoes in the fall.

ctjensen24

Apr 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #11 of 18 (7526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] sandals or approach shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Do you have a lot of poison oak/ivy in your area?
Not enough to really worry about.

ctjensen24

Apr 21, 2011, 1:02 AM
Post #12 of 18 (7524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] sandals or approach shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all your input! It took all that for me to realize it won't hurt to have both! Wink

shockabuku

Apr 22, 2011, 1:45 AM
Post #13 of 18 (7452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of the above. I like shoes. Actually though, I find I don't wear full on sandals much anymore. Either a pair of decent flipflops or real shoes. Sandals get pebbles in them and it's a bitch to get them out, don't protect my toes, and don't keep my feet warm. So shoes when the approach is long or through a bunch of talus or it's cold (with flipflops in the pack for belaying, water crossing). Flipflops when the approach is moderate to easy and it's warm.

adam14113

Apr 22, 2011, 3:58 AM
Post #14 of 18 (7425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

neither .. always wear my Vans

blueeyedclimber

Apr 22, 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #15 of 18 (7366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ctjensen24 wrote:

Just like you need different gear and/or shoes for different climbing, you should have different shoes for different approaches. Sometimes I go with sneakers, sometimes a better approach shoe, sometimes my keens, and sometimes my Old Navy flip flops. It depends.

Josh

sungam

Apr 22, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #16 of 18 (7336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] sandals or approach shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Sanuks (Christmas present) w/ socks.

For everything else I wear a pair of Evolv approach shoes
Yore creeping me out, dude. I too wear sanuks with socks for casual approaches and evolv approach shoes for harder ones.

What colour are your ones? My sanuks are the dark green ones with lines of light brown and blue, and my evolvs are orange.

THIS IS HUGE.

shoo

Apr 22, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #17 of 18 (7327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have abandoned my Chacos as an approach shoe. They are heavy, not that comfortable, constantly getting crap underneath the foot. Pain in the ass.

For most days when it's warm out, I'll usually hike in/out with a pair of light hikers, and whip a pair of comfy flip flops out of my bag if I'm settling at a crag for a while. Same thing goes for places with an easy walk-off if i want to carry some footwear w/ me.

desertdude420

Apr 23, 2011, 6:57 PM
Post #18 of 18 (7234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] sandals or approach shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally don't do any approaches that are more than a couple minutes in sandals. Reason being, I usually have a large pack and need the ankle support. I also don't like putting grubby sandal feet into my climbing shoes. It keeps the foot-funk to minimum.
They make "approach shoes" for approaches too ya know.

(This post was edited by desertdude420 on Apr 23, 2011, 7:00 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook