Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

tradmanclimbs

Apr 24, 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #51 of 86 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

To me the Ground up FA even if it involves aid climbing to get bolts in, trundle loose blocks and clean etc is at least 100 times more exciteing and scary than any onsite free ascent of an existing climb that you know goes.

Even going back and and getting the FFA of something that I have aided is not as cool to me as getting up that thing the first time with all my tricks.

rangerrob

Apr 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #52 of 86 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Theoretically, any route you climb that you looked up in a guidebook and saw where it went, how hard it was, and what the gear was like is not an onsight. Not that I care what people onsight or not.

if you think it's an onsight for you, then it's an onsight. There's no climbing KGB who will come and abduct you out of your home in the middle of the night if you don't follow some vague rule or definition.

potreroed

Apr 24, 2011, 1:49 PM
Post #53 of 86 (4654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
To me the Ground up FA even if it involves aid climbing to get bolts in, trundle loose blocks and clean etc is at least 100 times more exciteing and scary than any onsite free ascent of an existing climb that you know goes.

Even going back and and getting the FFA of something that I have aided is not as cool to me as getting up that thing the first time with all my tricks.

I agree 100%.

LostinMaine

Apr 25, 2011, 3:33 PM
Post #54 of 86 (4589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Okay, here's a chance for more spray:

What's the easiest grade trad climb you've backed off of.

I have a few. Most follow the same pattern - a poorly protected insecure move a short distance off the belay. I'm having a bad head day, can't figure out the sequence, and don't have the cajones to commit.

First one was a 5.7 in J-Tree called Mental Physics. Actually, in that case, my partner asked me to come back to the belay, because he was freaked about the prospect of me factor 2-ing onto him from 15 feet up, before clipping the first bolt on the second pitch. But it still counts. And I've done the same thing of my own choice several times.

GO

I backed off of a 5.7 called Octo-pussy in the 'dacks at the Creature Wall. Climbs up something like 15-20 feet into a pod. I tried every awkward stance possible to exit that damn thing and ended up down climbing. I have never tried it again, but I suspect I was trying to exit the pod on the wrong side. Or I was/am just weak. Probably both, which is a rough combination.

Partner cracklover

Apr 25, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #55 of 86 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Okay, here's a chance for more spray:

What's the easiest grade trad climb you've backed off of.

I have a few. Most follow the same pattern - a poorly protected insecure move a short distance off the belay. I'm having a bad head day, can't figure out the sequence, and don't have the cajones to commit.

First one was a 5.7 in J-Tree called Mental Physics. Actually, in that case, my partner asked me to come back to the belay, because he was freaked about the prospect of me factor 2-ing onto him from 15 feet up, before clipping the first bolt on the second pitch. But it still counts. And I've done the same thing of my own choice several times.

GO

I backed off of a 5.7 called Octo-pussy in the 'dacks at the Creature Wall. Climbs up something like 15-20 feet into a pod. I tried every awkward stance possible to exit that damn thing and ended up down climbing. I have never tried it again, but I suspect I was trying to exit the pod on the wrong side. Or I was/am just weak. Probably both, which is a rough combination.

LOL. Too weak and too stupid. You just need to add too spineless to the mix to make the triumvirate, for the win. Once you've mastered all three, you'll be backing off climbs like a pro! Not that I can claim to always rise to the occasion of such pure patheticness, but when I do, it's a sight to behold.

GWink

munky

Apr 26, 2011, 6:11 PM
Post #56 of 86 (4542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh Dropzone... That TR chalk trail up and left nearly got me. I had to back out of a nearly irreversible sequence and then get back on track and finish the climb with a ruthless pump. It was my hardest onsighted at Seneca.

jupiter

Apr 26, 2011, 8:42 PM
Post #57 of 86 (4507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So all 6 or 7 of my hardest onsights have been of the rating. Some have been fully bolted and were obviously sport climbs, however, 2 have some grey area.

One route was 110 feet, I placed about 5 pieces in the first 40 feet, and then it turns into a bolted route with about 6 bolts in the last 70 feet, does this count as trad climbing? By the way, the bolts went in ground up.

The second route was about 100 feet with only 2 bolts, and about 10 gear placements. This route was originally an aid route, but the bolts for free climbing were put in top down, does this count as trad climbing?

I have my own thoughts about these routes, but I would like to know what others think.

(This post was edited by jupiter on Apr 26, 2011, 8:44 PM)

jt512

Apr 26, 2011, 9:22 PM
Post #58 of 86 (4498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jupiter] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jupiter wrote:
So all 6 or 7 of my hardest onsights have been of the rating. Some have been fully bolted and were obviously sport climbs, however, 2 have some grey area.

One route was 110 feet, I placed about 5 pieces in the first 40 feet, and then it turns into a bolted route with about 6 bolts in the last 70 feet, does this count as trad climbing? By the way, the bolts went in ground up.

The second route was about 100 feet with only 2 bolts, and about 10 gear placements. This route was originally an aid route, but the bolts for free climbing were put in top down, does this count as trad climbing?

I have my own thoughts about these routes, but I would like to know what others think.

See the definition of trad climb and trad lead here.

Jay

mojomonkey

Apr 26, 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #59 of 86 (4488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Easiest route I have ever back off of was the second pitch of Andrew (5.4) in the Gunks....middle of winter, soaking wet, in hiking boots. Yep....we went and did something harder, but less scary.

Andrew is the easiest route I backed off of too! I don't even have winter conditions to blame it on - just new to gear and scared. From the GT ledge I went up into the right facing corner, looking for where I was supposed to traverse right. It was wet from runoff and I couldn't find a place I felt confident. I went all the way up to the overhang and back down a few times, testing feet. Next to me were two guys working Twilight Zone and taking big falls. You can't imagine how studly I felt Wink They were nice - no condescension and offered me a snack and water.

I lowered back to the ledge and let my partner take it.

airbender

Apr 26, 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #60 of 86 (4483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The easiest I've backed off is either a .6 or .7 Dolphin in Jtree I think it is bird of fire or bird on a wire just right of it. I got 3/4 of the way up and it flared and my #2 BD Cam walked out below me. I was trying to figure out how to get out of my situation with out dieing when someone above offered to drop a rope which I gladly accepted. Hardest onsight was only due to the fact I left the guidebook in the truck 5.11c/d Persistence @ Lostwall GA(notorious for being soft) I just saw a crack I had to climb. Lots of barndooring and a few grunts I made it to the top.
In reply to:

cchas

May 2, 2011, 6:32 PM
Post #61 of 86 (4408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airbender] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hardest.... after 37ys at it I don't keep track.

While an onsight may be special, I really like going up a trad climb and getting totally shut down.Total humiliation. Not a clue. Second time up you see possibilities and you start to think that just maybe. And then, after a while you know it will go and then the it does go.

hyhuu

May 3, 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #62 of 86 (4353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cchas] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cchas wrote:
Hardest.... after 37ys at it I don't keep track.

While an onsight may be special, I really like going up a trad climb and getting totally shut down.Total humiliation. Not a clue. Second time up you see possibilities and you start to think that just maybe. And then, after a while you know it will go and then the it does go.

Kinda like bouldering heh?

cchas

May 3, 2011, 1:20 PM
Post #63 of 86 (4340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering, yawn.... Sorry and no offense to those that boulder, but it and sports climbing just don't hold my attention. Trad climbing at my limit or past my limit is much more interesting, especially if its way off the ground.

(This post was edited by cchas on May 3, 2011, 1:22 PM)

rangerrob

May 3, 2011, 4:25 PM
Post #64 of 86 (4308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cchas] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I knew there was a reason I liked you Chuck!

gunkiemike

May 8, 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #65 of 86 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:

Imagine trying to onsight that route when the green Mellor book was the latest; it was rated 5.6 !!

Back on topic - backed off 5.5 back in the 70's. Have since OS'ed 10b trad.

enigma

May 8, 2011, 3:33 PM
Post #66 of 86 (4208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Would enjoy seeing photos, naming climb and place . Prefer a recent onsight done in the last year. All welcome, including pro climbers, as well as all foreign lands. Details welcome.

Thanks for sharing your accomplishments and beta for others.

Original Topic Smile

enigma

May 8, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #67 of 86 (4206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
LostinMaine wrote:

Imagine trying to onsight that route when the green Mellor book was the latest; it was rated 5.6 !!

Which 10d did you onsight?

gunkiemike

May 8, 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #68 of 86 (4193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:
LostinMaine wrote:

Which 10d did you onsight?

Reading FAIL. Never claimed 10d.

10b's include Birdcage, Stirrup Trouble, Dis-Mantel, City Streets, and Directississima (all at the Gunks)

(This post was edited by gunkiemike on May 8, 2011, 11:18 PM)

guangzhou

May 9, 2011, 5:57 AM
Post #69 of 86 (4178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Hardest Onsight: Ten Years After .10d,
Lower Yosemite Falls, Yosemite
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/1/268251-largest_6042.jpg[/image]

That was my first 5.10 lead ever. An excellent route with great protection.

ceebo

May 9, 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #70 of 86 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Done some trad this year, SCARY.

Followed a few routes then on sighted something as my first lead. It was very easy, maybe 5.8 in US.. but the mental game was really hitting me hard.

Just found the concept of not knowing where my next piece was going to be very scary. At one point i was around 12 foot past my last piece, and i was shaking allot because i could not see where my next piece would go (i was just below a mini roof). Been a long long time since anything has scared me so much. Im sure the fact that i had to place gear and so so made me think allot more about falling.. and then i started looking around at things i would hit on the way down etc.. and it was really freaking me out.

Sounds really cheesy.. but then the though entered my head that i had done so much ''indoor'' free solo.. and that i just need to chill out and remember how easy the climb is, and that its well within my limits. After a few min of just chilling and hanging around i began focusing again and noticed i had missed a completely obvious crack that was running left side of the roof. Got some gear in and then the rest of the route was history.

Was a good feeling at the top, was rather proud that i gained control again after losing it so badly, regardless of how easy the climb was.

rangerrob

May 9, 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #71 of 86 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice work Ceebo! It's that headgame that really seperates the two styles for me. I just don't feel that commitment level while I am clippin bolts. I don't have to battle my own psyche, which is a big reason I love climbing in the first place....it's not a normal thing to WANT to do..puttinng yourself in very real danger on purpose.

cacalderon

May 10, 2011, 1:22 AM
Post #72 of 86 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

10d at the gunks.

enigma

May 10, 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #73 of 86 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dreday3000 wrote:
I've onsighted three 12a's. The first was Ananuaki in Indian Creek. Ananuaki was fun but pretty darn easy for a 12a. Probably more like an 11b.

The second was something like "Farewell to Arms" in Boulder Canyon. Nice route but again probably soft for a 12a.

The third was a flash of the Bell at Seneca Rocks. Again, easy for a 12a but scary so probably the most challenging thing I've done.

Biggest sandbag I've done is Drop Zone at Seneca rocks. Rated an 11b but I almost crapped my pants.

The hardest sport climb I've onsighted is 12c.

Sounds impressive !

enigma

May 10, 2011, 11:56 PM
Post #74 of 86 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Done some trad this year, SCARY.

Followed a few routes then on sighted something as my first lead. It was very easy, maybe 5.8 in US.. but the mental game was really hitting me hard.

Just found the concept of not knowing where my next piece was going to be very scary. At one point i was around 12 foot past my last piece, and i was shaking allot because i could not see where my next piece would go (i was just below a mini roof). Been a long long time since anything has scared me so much. Im sure the fact that i had to place gear and so so made me think allot more about falling.. and then i started looking around at things i would hit on the way down etc.. and it was really freaking me out.

Sounds really cheesy.. but then the though entered my head that i had done so much ''indoor'' free solo.. and that i just need to chill out and remember how easy the climb is, and that its well within my limits. After a few min of just chilling and hanging around i began focusing again and noticed i had missed a completely obvious crack that was running left side of the roof. Got some gear in and then the rest of the route was history.

Was a good feeling at the top, was rather proud that i gained control again after losing it so badly, regardless of how easy the climb was.

It's alot of experience that makes it easier . Smile

Good for you.

enigma

May 11, 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #75 of 86 (4091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Hardest Onsight Trad Lead You Have Done [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Not sure, probably a 5.8 in the 'Gunks somewhere. If I had to choose a route it would be Arrow maybe, but I swear I did one before that (maybe Snooky's Return?).

[image]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3496/3969555071_c7b725b699.jpg[/image]

^^ not me of course, but a friend near what I endearingly call the "blowjob hold."

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lTPD3tX3Vfw/SMHMqTDB3uI/AAAAAAAAAoI/MR1tHTkMkMc/s1600/010%2B(2).JPG[/image]

^^ the unfortunately rarely climbed third pitch (also not me)

edit: clarify that the first pic is P2 of Arrow and the second pic is P3 of Snooky's

Nice photos

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook