RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

aid312

Dec 31, 2002, 8:17 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Fish Haulbags
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering if anyone out there had any feedback on the Fish haulbag's. I guess my biggest question was the suspension and the closure system on them.

passthepitonspete

Dec 31, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Fish Haulbags [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please note that all of my comments are made on old style Fish haulbags that were made 1996-97 or so.

While I have always loved my Fish Portaledge, I have hated my Fish haulbags!

The ones Russ used to make were not well designed at all, or at least, they were no hell.

They used to have these strap-on backpack straps that were horrid, and the buckles would break!

When Jim Bridwell showed me his new Metolius in 1997, I knew what my next haulbag would be.

Now, that was then, and this is now.

I'm quite sure that Russ has made some design improvements. His stuff is usually a little bit lower priced than the competition, which is the main reason I bought his ledge.

The Better Way would be to have a functional bag that is cheaper than the competition, most of which is very expensive!

As you will read in the Index to Dr. Piton Stuff post, it is a fundamental premise that your haulbag is never big enough!

If you do Grade VI big walls, I highly recommend you buy a Grade VII pig! I just don't think it's possible for a pig to be too big!

No doubt Russ will be on to tell us how bitchin' his new stuff is!

And Russ: when do I get my portaledge bed!!! I need somewhere to sleep and hang my crab!

aid312

Dec 31, 2002, 9:02 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx Doc,
I am looking for something around 9000 cubic inches. I do have a grade VII but I was actually looking for something a little bit smaller as well.
Do you have any suggestions?

[ This Message was edited by: aid312 on 2002-12-31 13:03 ]

skywalker

Dec 31, 2002, 10:26 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To aid312... I like having one huge haul bag and a small one for my daily needs. It also helps for the approach and decent. Bulky stuff in the big bag and all the small heavy gadgets in the small one. This way one guy/girl doesn't have $#!& hanging all over them. I have a huge Climb Moab (BD now?) and a small Fish bag. Seems to work well.

spike

Jan 1, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Aid312,
I have 2 FISH haul bags. The standard grave VI bag and the smaller Atom Smasher. They are very basic bags but get the job done. I had a shoe repair guy sew on a couple straps and buckles on the big bag so I close the top better and it only cost a couple dollars. I agree with the previous post. All the heavy gear goes in the small bag and the light weight bulky stuff in the big pig. The small pig can then be used as a sub-bag during the climb. My climbing partner Banks got a new YATES FAT SACK and it is GREAT --- very expensive. But the design is very functional - short and fat - easy to get stuff in and out of. Plus the suspension is sweet !!! YATES makes great aid gear period....
Richard / SPIKE

aid312

Jan 1, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replys guys. I will look into the Yates bags. I really appreciate your input.

passthepitonspete

Jan 2, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone tell Fish about this thread, eh?

I would not buy an Atom Smasher since it is quite small.

I have been using my Fish Grade V as a subbag on a Catch Line for years, and it works great.

If you have not yet caught onto Catch Lines, then I suggest you figure out what I'm talking about.

You can find it by going to the INDEX TO DR. PITON STUFF post.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook