RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

michaelg

Jun 10, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2567 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Partner in the Southeast?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My name's Mike, and I'm looking for other people in the Southeast (GA, TN ,SC) who love to climb. The Army owns me for the next 8 months, then I want to pursue a career as a AMGA certified Rock Climbing Guide or Instructor. I have some climbing experience, but I need to start documenting it if I want to make a career out of it. I'm pretty much free every weekend, with the occasional 4-day weekend. I'm also willing to travel depending on the distance. My truck holds lots of people and gear, but it's not so hot on gas mileage (17 MPG). I have some gear for sport and trad, but not much. If you think you might be interested, reply or send me an email at michaelgoddard84@yahoo.com

Be easy!

guangzhou

Jun 13, 2011, 5:23 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michaelg] Climbing Partner in the Southeast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

michaelg wrote:
My name's Mike, and I'm looking for other people in the Southeast (GA, TN ,SC) who love to climb. The Army owns me for the next 8 months, then I want to pursue a career as a AMGA certified Rock Climbing Guide or Instructor. I have some climbing experience, but I need to start documenting it if I want to make a career out of it. I'm pretty much free every weekend, with the occasional 4-day weekend. I'm also willing to travel depending on the distance. My truck holds lots of people and gear, but it's not so hot on gas mileage (17 MPG). I have some gear for sport and trad, but not much. If you think you might be interested, reply or send me an email at michaelgoddard84@yahoo.com

Be easy!

Thanks for serving. You on fort Campbell, if so check out King's Bluff for sure. Plenty of climbers there for potential partner too. Guidebook here http://tiny.cc/g05zq

On keeping track of you climbing, good luck. I can recommend this logbook to you. http://tiny.cc/q6eq8

On AMGA, consider getting a job as guide first, then going through the training while you're guiding. You would be surprised at what you may or may not need to be a full time guide.

Eight months from now, I may need a guide here in Indonesia. Feel free to shoot me your climbing resume in the future.

Cheers
Thanks for serving,
Eman
Use your terminal leave to do a road trip.

michaelg

Jun 13, 2011, 2:52 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Climbing Partner in the Southeast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm actually on Fort Stewart in Georgia. If I could get a job first, that would definitely help pay for the certifications. I do still think there is more I can learn before I become a guide though. Thanks for the resources. How do you like it there in Indonesia?

guangzhou

Jun 14, 2011, 3:46 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Considering that I am now starting anew business here and comiting myself to at least another ten years, I love it. Life in Asia is fantastic.

You should contact Josh at AMGA. I think they are a couple Universities that now offer AMGA courses through their curriculum. If so, you could use your GI bill to pay for it.

Not sure why you want the certification to be honest? What are you hoping to gain from it?

Eman

michaelg

Jun 28, 2011, 8:18 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Climbing Partner in the Southeast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So your saying that I don't need a certification to be a guide? Isn't that what most companies look for when they are hiring a new guide? I would much rather get a job as a guide first and then work on my certification, but I'm not sure if I'm ready. Maybe an assistant guide position would be a good start. What do you think?

Thanks

weatherm

Jul 15, 2011, 8:41 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need a certification to be a certified guide. You need a good resume and word of mouth to be a successful guide. The resume is where its at. The rock instructor cert requires X amount of certain climbs to be done just hard for me to find partners that want to travel out west to climb. If you want to travel out west let me know I know some of the areas and know the ropes. Its all about experience... maybe we can team up and get the climbs done .. I would one day love to go for AMGA cert

r_burroughs@hotmail.com

I'm in GA

(This post was edited by weatherm on Jul 15, 2011, 8:44 PM)

guangzhou

Jul 16, 2011, 4:46 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [weatherm] Climbing Partner in the Southeast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

weatherm wrote:
You need a certification to be a certified guide. {/quote]

No you do not. No state requires it, nor does the federal government. Guide service have guides work for them with no outside certification what so ever.

In reply to:
You need a good resume and word of mouth to be a successful guide. The resume is where its at.

A good resume is always nice to have, and word of mouth about your abilities is always the ebst way to get a position in any industry.

In reply to:
The rock instructor cert requires X amount of certain climbs to be done just hard for me to find partners that want to travel out west to climb. If you want to travel out west let me know I know some of the areas and know the ropes. Its all about experience... maybe we can team up and get the climbs done .. I would one day love to go for AMGA cert

r_burroughs@hotmail.com

I'm in GA

Yes, AMGA rock courses require a minimum amount of climbing time.

The rst, well, you're making excuses. if someone really wants to climb, they find a way to make it happen. You want to climb out west, go west and friend partners once you are there. Most big climbing destination have "loose" climbers looking for partners.

killingmorethancancer

Jul 18, 2011, 8:05 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This sounds like a great idea. You should get out of the ARMY as quick as you can because it is stupid.

You should rock climb alot because its great.

iamgeniey

Jul 25, 2011, 4:25 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

michaelg wrote:

Be easy!

17 mpg? what a dream. i get like 13-14 mpg. but boy, it's built tough like a rock :-)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook