Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
lower devils access...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

downsiderisk

Jan 3, 2003, 3:26 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1722 views)
Shortcut

lower devils access...  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area: Queen_Creek_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the main road to lower devils continues to be closed to vehicles, but i heard that there is another way in from the backside...another 4WD road?? is anyone familiar with it, and if so, could you share?

thanx

hangdoggypound

Jan 3, 2003, 3:43 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1722 views)
Shortcut

lower devils access... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YES, but I wouldn't call it the "backside," though.

I took the other road a few weeks ago. The road begins in Oak Flat Campground. Some take it to Oak Flats East to boulder. Specifically, I can't give you the exact turn from this road, because I don't have my GPS right here. PM me or something.

Word of caution: It has 2 sections that are hairy for the unexperienced OHV driver. This road is a bit more difficult than the closed-off route due to these two sections. I have a stock Wrangler that made it OK with some good spotting. I'd like to go back soon but I don't want to make the trek without another vehicle, you know, just in case -- perhaps we could hook up. But I'd be more than happy to get you the GPS coordinates of the trail.

espinosa

Jan 3, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thought you headed up past the eddie ortega boulder. past the peagravels and all that.

post something on www.arizonabouldering.com, one of the guru's there will know.

downsiderisk

Jan 5, 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for your responses. as it ends up, the main road is now open, and has been for about a week. i made it out there saturday, and the road is as it was before it was closed off with one exception. the first quarter mile is freshly graded, but with 4 annoying burms at wash crossings that make it difficult for long wheel based vechicles (like my full size chevy 4x4) to keep from hi centering/scraping.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook