Forums: Climbing Information: General:
If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

beachrock

Jun 30, 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #1 of 48 (16678 views)
Shortcut

If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I posted a thread recently where I wrote down the following:

"
In reply to:
I wear a pair of disposable $4 rubber gloves which I really like because they make my hands stick to the rocks like glue...."

A user who goes by the name of "macherry" responded with the following:

In reply to:
troll

or a fucking idiot

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2512267

Here is a pic of the gloves I was referring to:

Those gloves are very good for the type of "rock climbing" that I do, which as I mentioned in another thread, consists of climbing beach rocks, some of which are high enough that a fall from them would probably amount to death or a serious injury.

Yes, I understand that the type of climbing that I do is very "childish" compared to the type of serious, vertical rock climbing most of you do, and trust me I envy your athletic abilities, but I do what I can given my body type and just hope that one day I'll be at a level where I can at least tackle "easy" vertical rock climbing routes.

I, however, still stand by what I said and I think those gloves are very good for the type of rock climbing that I do.

I'd also like to thank macherry for his/her helpful comment and the mods for tolerating bullying on this forum

(This post was edited by beachrock on Jun 30, 2011, 12:46 PM)

potreroed

Jun 30, 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #2 of 48 (16659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beachrock] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you were to spend a couple hours looking at hundreds of the thousands of photos on this web site of people climbing I doubt that you would find a single one of someone climbing with gloves on their hands.

And don't be so thin-skinned, it's not bullying, just good ol' rc.com banter.

By the way, those gloves look pretty cool--I might have to get me some.

(This post was edited by potreroed on Jun 30, 2011, 12:42 PM)

beachrock

Jun 30, 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #3 of 48 (16652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"If you were to spend a couple hours looking at hundreds of the thousands of photos on this web site of people climbing I doubt that you would find a single one of someone climbing with gloves on their hands. "

huh?

So wearing gloves means that you are not a good rock climber?

While you are at it, why don't you try to climb rocks with no shoes on?

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 30, 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #4 of 48 (16651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beachrock] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

"
In reply to:
I wear a pair of disposable $4 rubber gloves which I really like because they make my hands stick to the rocks like glue...."

In reply to:
troll

or a fucking idiot

Those gloves are very good for the type of "rock climbing" that I do, which as I mentioned in another thread, consists of climbing beach rocks, some of which are high enough that a fall from them would probably amount to death or a serious injury.

Yes, I understand that the type of climbing that I do is very "childish" compared to the type of serious, vertical rock climbing most of you do, and trust me I envy your athletic abilities, but I do what I can given my body type and just hope that one day I'll be at a level where I can at least tackle "easy" vertical rock climbing routes.

I, however, still stand by what I said and I think those gloves are very good for the type of rock climbing that I do.

I'd also like to thank macherry for his/her helpful comment and to the mods for tolerating bullying on this forum

Well done. You forgot to complain that the mods moved the thread to the scummunity, But strong work still.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 30, 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #5 of 48 (16648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
In reply to:
"If you were to spend a couple hours looking at hundreds of the thousands of photos on this web site of people climbing I doubt that you would find a single one of someone climbing with gloves on their hands. "

huh?

And you forgot to make this thread a poll.

potreroed

Jun 30, 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #6 of 48 (16633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

As a matter of fact, I have done a fair amount of climbing barefoot. And I know a number of climbers who do a lot of climbing barefoot.

ceebo

Jun 30, 2011, 1:34 PM
Post #7 of 48 (16605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not too trollish. Maybe some day a person will produce ''wet'' gloves. Those that stick to wet rock ofc. Also, its not that idiotic to imagine some form of glove or thin rubber finger tip caps to increase grip even in the dry. You know.. just like climbing shoes?. Obviusly they be no good for really crimpy or micro edge holds.. but for anything else.. think of the chalk savings.

It will happen eventually im certain. The likes of lizards and how their foot pad scales work for grip.. that stuff is surely going to work its way into some form of climbing glove (and improved shoes). Depending on how well such a glove was made, it would certainly catapult climbing grades.. you would only need the slightest little bump to grip too in a big open hand.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Jun 30, 2011, 1:39 PM)

notapplicable

Jun 30, 2011, 1:42 PM
Post #8 of 48 (16592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
In reply to:

huh?

If you stick with it a bit and do some roped climbing, you will quickly realize that wearing gloves makes the climbing harder, not easier. The opposite is true for shoes.

I assume you wear the gloves because they protect your hands but if you dig climbing and want to keep at it, you will have to stop wearing the gloves at some point, at which time you will wish you had developed the necessary calluses early on. Just something to think about.

sbaclimber

Jun 30, 2011, 1:46 PM
Post #9 of 48 (16581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
If you did any "serious, vertical rock climbing", as you call it, you would realize that wearing gloves would make you be "not a good rock climber"!
To climb most effectively, your fingers must be in direct contact with the rock. Even so called tape gloves for crack climbing leave the fingers uncovered. Covering you fingers with gloves would mean...
a) loss of sensitivity, kinda sucks when you can't feel what you're holding on to
b) "fatter" fingers and fingertips, might be good for wider cracks, but bad for crimpers
c) increased slippage, either between the glove and the rock or your fingers and the glove

Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule...

beachrock wrote:
why don't you try to climb rocks with no shoes on?
Although it isn't really my thing, it is not uncommon to climb barefoot around here...

notapplicable

Jun 30, 2011, 1:49 PM
Post #10 of 48 (16577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
I'd also like to thank macherry for his/her helpful comment and the mods for tolerating bullying on this forum

Macherry is a mod, sadly. I would suggest PMing *click here* >>DDT << *click here* and reporting her unacceptable behavior. Hopefully he will see fit to ban her for a few weeks, or atleast de-mod her.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 30, 2011, 1:57 PM
Post #11 of 48 (16568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
beachrock wrote:

Macherry is a mod, sadly. I would suggest PMing *click here* >>DDT << *click here* and reporting her unacceptable behavior. Hopefully he will see fit to ban her for a few weeks, or atleast de-mod her.

Too late. Ma ain't a mod anymore.

But you can now call for the banz hammer for her.

iknowfear

Jun 30, 2011, 1:58 PM
Post #12 of 48 (16566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

"
In reply to:

In reply to:
troll

or a fucking idiot

[IMG]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9052/yhst2449877314823721642.jpg[/IMG]

I've climbed in my leather ice climbing gloves for training and fun.

trust me, all those gloves might give you is a false sense of security. You have much more grip without and a much better feeling for the rock.

YMMV
cheers

notapplicable

Jun 30, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #13 of 48 (16550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
beachrock wrote:

Oh, thats right. I suppose the best we can hope for is a good long ban then.

bearbreeder

Jun 30, 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #14 of 48 (16540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive used those type of gloves mainly for belaying ... but also for the occasional easy climb where its damn cold ... ie below freezing

otherwise youll loose all sensation from the rock in yr fingers ...

you wouldnt want to climb in gloves if that wasnt the case ... ie warmer

that said chris lindner did use some rubber gloves when climbing sharp rock .... and i dont think hes an "idiot"
Tongue

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 30, 2011, 2:18 PM
Post #15 of 48 (16532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
beachrock wrote:

Well, new theory, ww moved the thread to the scummunity for ma to remove the threat of the banz hammer.

marc801

Jun 30, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #16 of 48 (16492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

notapplicable

Jun 30, 2011, 2:38 PM
Post #17 of 48 (16489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
beachrock wrote:

Well, new theory, ww moved the thread to the scummunity for ma to remove the threat of the banz hammer.

The plot thickens...

Partner j_ung

Jun 30, 2011, 2:42 PM
Post #18 of 48 (16479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those gloves are a mighty thin line between you and the dirt.

billcoe_

Jun 30, 2011, 3:06 PM
Post #19 of 48 (16456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My buddy Ujahn and I went bouldering the other day and I looked over and see him wearing his contracting gloves....I'm like ...WTF dude?

He says " I'm here to get a burn, I'll get one faster, be able to get out of here sooner, and not trash my hands -I need to watch out so I don't beat the sh*t out of them"....

"Uhhh, OK", says I.

Not a troll or a f999ing idiot at all.....

Send_Or_Spank

Jun 30, 2011, 5:41 PM
Post #20 of 48 (16312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll take ****ing idiot for 1200 Alex.

chadnsc

Jun 30, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #21 of 48 (16301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Send_Or_Spank] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Send_Or_Spank wrote:
I'll take ****ing idiot for 1200 Alex.

You're questions is:

This buthurtz wanker recently had his ego slammed in a door my MA.

essay

Jun 30, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #22 of 48 (16289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one is as stupid as beachrock pertends to be, so not and idiot, but a masterful troll!

areyoumydude

Jun 30, 2011, 6:06 PM
Post #23 of 48 (16272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [essay] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

essay wrote:
No one is as stupid as beachrock pertends to be

Um.....

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

shimanilami

Jun 30, 2011, 6:35 PM
Post #24 of 48 (16236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid - is that you?

areyoumydude

Jun 30, 2011, 6:49 PM
Post #25 of 48 (16218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] If a person uses these gloves for climbing, is he an idiot, a ****ing troll, or both? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Majid - is that you?

PTFTW?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook