Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Girls and trucks: what's the attraction?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: Girls and trucks: what's the attraction?
Creating independence or making a statement of independence? 1 / 9%
Practicality: gear, back road travel, work vehicle? 9 / 82%
Sense of safety: more visibility, getting through tough terrain or weather, more clearance, more vehicle between the driver and other vehicles? 1 / 9%
Other? 0 / 0%
11 total votes

rockgirlCO

Jul 13, 2011, 3:48 PM
Post #1 of 22 (10905 views)
Shortcut

Girls and trucks: what's the attraction?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I been thinking recently about the seemingly modern North American phenomena of women owning trucks (defined by me as: pickups, pickups with shells and integrated trucks like 4Runners and Pathfinders). I wonder why, despite having a new RAV4 that I really like, I still look fondly on my neighbor's Tacoma with a shell and somehow feel it would fit my personality. I opted for the RAV4 for 3 reasons: gas mpg, comfort and not having a dog or two, I thought I wouldn't use 2/3s of a Tacoma day in-day out. But I've noticed a lot of females including a fair number of my climber friends drive either a Tacoma or a 4Runner. I started coming up with theories of what their reasons might be. I thought a poll might be reveal the most common reason(s).

I've never set up a poll on here before so hopefully I did it right!

erisspirit

Jul 13, 2011, 4:29 PM
Post #2 of 22 (10887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockgirlCO] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockgirlCO wrote:
I been thinking recently about the seemingly modern North American phenomena of women owning trucks (defined by me as: pickups, pickups with shells and integrated trucks like 4Runners and Pathfinders). I wonder why, despite having a new RAV4 that I really like, I still look fondly on my neighbor's Tacoma with a shell and somehow feel it would fit my personality. I opted for the RAV4 for 3 reasons: gas mpg, comfort and not having a dog or two, I thought I wouldn't use 2/3s of a Tacoma day in-day out. But I've noticed a lot of females including a fair number of my climber friends drive either a Tacoma or a 4Runner. I started coming up with theories of what their reasons might be. I thought a poll might be reveal the most common reason(s).

I've never set up a poll on here before so hopefully I did it right!

for me there was no hidden reason, or specific attraction. It was all based on current needs. I bought a Tacoma mainly because I ride motorcycles at the track (have to haul the bike) and didn't have the space for a vehicle and a trailer. I decided that with all my other hobbies included, It was worth the purchase. I chose Tacoma after a lot of research into all my truck options. I added a few frills to make my other hobbies easier (4 wheel drive etc).

Sometimes I wish I had a different smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle, but at the moment I use it's feature often enough to make it worth it

lena_chita

Jul 13, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 22 (10877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Might be region-specific? Or your circle-specific? I cannot pick anything on your list as applicable to me.

I admit that I never felt an attraction to a truck of any kind, and I would probably trade one in for a smaller car if it were given to me.

In fact I can, of the top of my head, come up with only a single female friend of mine who has a truck currently. She sleeps in the back of it on camping/climbing trips. So i can't say that I see this as a "trend" in the first place, at least not around here.

Subarus seem to be an awfully common choice among climbers of both genders around here.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 13, 2011, 6:43 PM
Post #4 of 22 (10867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a couple female friends who have trucks.
- L has a pickup with cap, which she uses to live out of on extended road trips
- C has a pick up(Tacoma) with a cap that she stashes gear in on her way to the cliffs and her dog(recently passes away) rides in
- K has one of those SUV types things(Rav4? - I don't recall) and she is supposedly able to get 4 peole AND bikes inside....

I thought about a truck but it isn't for me. I like more of a "homey" feel, and so a van with platform is good. I like to be able to sit up comfortably and read or get on line(mobile broadband) at night, and I like to have the storage space too. Plus I want a "comfy" bed, and more than a thin sleeping pad and sleeping bag. My van has a queen sized mattress, and I slept this winter in it under flannel sheets and an embroidered silk,, goose down filled duvet.

Everyone has different needs and opportunities. But for me, a truck is not a good choice for the above, and also because I have lived in NYC for many years and the "don't make it too easy" for thievery is engrained within. I don't think I would be comfortable with all my gear in the back of a pickup cap.

Partner macherry

Jul 13, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #5 of 22 (10860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i am lusting after a truck. i'll probably be in the market next year. A truck fits my lifestyle. i spend my winters in the mountains and 4wd, although not necessary, is an advantage driving through blizzards to the ski hill. I also have a dog and lug bikes and climbing gear between 2 residences. the added advantage to be able to have a cap and be able to sleep off the ground is an advantage.

granite_grrl

Jul 14, 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #6 of 22 (10803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I feel victim to a truck a number of years ago. A bit lot of beer, cute guy and a space heater in the topper lured me back there.

But I was tricked I tells ya! To get the truck I also had to import the guy!...And now I can't even afford to put gas in the truck. Unsure

carabiner96

Jul 14, 2011, 1:08 PM
Post #7 of 22 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Aw, how romantic (the space heater does it every time)

FWIW, I have a Pathfinder and I don't consider it a truck at all. A truck is a truck.

dan2see

Jul 14, 2011, 2:06 PM
Post #8 of 22 (10784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My beautiful daughter Anna bought a pickup a few years ago. Well she lives in the city and doesn't haul stuff, although she does weekend camping a lot.

So I asked her why? She said, "Dad, if you don't understand, I can't tell you." I asked do you need it? She said "Of course".

Then her girlfriend bought a Jeep.

I don't understand. But hey! I don't have to understand, I'm just the father.

iamthewallress

Jul 14, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #9 of 22 (10769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never seen a gender relationship with trucks among climbers. Like most climber guys, I suspect, I bought a Tacoma b/c I needed a high-clearance vehicle in which I could sleep, and the mileage was better than an SUV.

Then I got a job where I had to commute every day and reasoned that for the two weeks out of the year that I really need clearance, I can get a rental. My Prius has a 7 foot sleeping area.

clee03m

Jul 14, 2011, 3:47 PM
Post #10 of 22 (10768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been lusting after a truck for almost a decade. One guy had built a wooden platform where gear goes under and bedding on top. Damn, what a nice set up. One of my climbing partners just throws some sleeping bags and mats in the back of her truck when she gets to be camp ground. Now that I have a baby, wouldn't it be easier than pitching a tent with a wailing baby???

Despite my whinning, beggin, screaming, and complaining, hubby never goes for it though. There are definite drawbacks to being married to an environmentalist.

Not to mention all the baby junk I'm scoring on craigs list would be so much easier to transport...

rockgirlCO

Jul 14, 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #11 of 22 (10741 views)
Shortcut

Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the responses. Definitely not a super serious subject and probably my curiousity has a lot to do with not knowing exactly why I'm lusting after the neighbor's Tacoma. Glad to see everyone is so practical! And maybe that is the same answer guy's would give. I think answer #3 is also a possible answer from them, but #1, yes, probably more of a female possibility simply due to cultural reasons. But no one here feels they need to assert or state their independence! Yay!

I think Pathfinders are very similar to 4Runners pre-2005, and I've never thought of 4Runners (until Toyota ruined the design and turned it into a Surburban tank) as anything but a truck with an integrated shell. Hmmmm, maybe I just couldn't handle the notion of travelling in an SUV. Those were such an evil word for so long in my mind. Most people bought them as grocery getters and never took them off the road. But from my experience, 4Runner owners (pre 2005) are really into off roading and camping and backroads. Finding a 5 year old 4Runner with less than 100,000 miles on it was proof of that to me. 4Runners definitely drive like a truck and are built on a truck frame.

And now for some eye candy. Found this last night:
http://www.dreaminvertical.com/2011/02/from-truck-to-camper-one-tacomas-journey/

carabiner96

Jul 14, 2011, 6:11 PM
Post #12 of 22 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockgirlCO wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Definitely not a super serious subject and probably my curiousity has a lot to do with not knowing exactly why I'm lusting after the neighbor's Tacoma. Glad to see everyone is so practical! And maybe that is the same answer guy's would give. I think answer #3 is also a possible answer from them, but #1, yes, probably more of a female possibility simply due to cultural reasons. But no one here feels they need to assert or state their independence! Yay!

I think Pathfinders are very similar to 4Runners pre-2005, and I've never thought of 4Runners (until Toyota ruined the design and turned it into a Surburban tank) as anything but a truck with an integrated shell. Hmmmm, maybe I just couldn't handle the notion of travelling in an SUV. Those were such an evil word for so long in my mind. Most people bought them as grocery getters and never took them off the road. But from my experience, 4Runner owners (pre 2005) are really into off roading and camping and backroads. Finding a 5 year old 4Runner with less than 100,000 miles on it was proof of that to me. 4Runners definitely drive like a truck and are built on a truck frame.

And now for some eye candy. Found this last night:
http://www.dreaminvertical.com/2011/02/from-truck-to-camper-one-tacomas-journey/
I have a 1997 Pathfinder and i think its more similar now to a forrester. Except that its got 195k and is going strong.

iamthewallress

Jul 14, 2011, 7:25 PM
Post #13 of 22 (10719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
One guy had built a wooden platform where gear goes under and bedding on top... wouldn't it be easier than pitching a tent with a wailing baby???

That's pretty much the standard climber configuration, but it's not quite as handy as it looks, IMO. Lots of stuff ends up not fitting underneath, so you have to do the dance where you move it to the front seat anyway. Accessing the stuff at the back of the under-storage goes at about 5.7 squeeze. And the sleeping space is pretty coffinish.

I started having back problems, and the combination of not being able to sit up in the back combined with the contortion required to crawl out the hatch w/ a sleeping partner next door and the 4.5 foot leap back to earth to take a pee in the middle of the night made me psyched for something else.

Here's a link to a thread that I started on Supertopo showing the simple mod that I made to my Prius to make it a sleeper.

http://www.supertopo.com/...ommuter-Cars-Bedroom

It's longer than the truck and so much easier to get out of for a pee in the night. I think it's more stealth b/c who sleeps in a Prius? If I was camping w/ a baby, I'd have a van all the way though. It's a little narrower (but adequate) to sleep two, but has a lot more headroom. It's a bit trickier to get everything into the front seats at night (but generally doable unless there's a haulbag or somesuch).

(This post was edited by iamthewallress on Jul 14, 2011, 7:29 PM)

lena_chita

Jul 14, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #14 of 22 (10699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

LOVE the prius -> sleeper conversion!

I have essentially the same sleeper mode in my subaru. Except I haven't made the little wooden supports. I found that my cooler on one side, and a rubbermaid bin on the other side, placed in the foot space of the back seat, make perfect height supports.

And I can set it all up without getting out of the car, if I have to (if it is raining)

I hate sleeping in the car in the summer (too hot and stuffy in this neck of the woods), but in colder weather it is my favorite way to sleep -- assuming that I don't have an alternative offer to stay with friends, LOL. That still beats the car.

rockgirlCO

Jul 15, 2011, 3:45 AM
Post #15 of 22 (10668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never thought of the coffin effect! Hmmm. My RAV4 set up sounds much better. The final platform needs a hinged piece in the rear to allow access to the subfloor storage.

I've looked at your Prius mod on Supertopo many times! So cool, so simple. I'm sure you love the MPG. I don't think I'd like the ground clearance though. Driving a coupe for 11 years I was sick of being so low to ground. I guess there are always trade offs.

rockgirlCO

Jul 15, 2011, 3:48 AM
Post #16 of 22 (10667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I stand corrected re: Pathfinders. I've since been informed that they have a car frame, unlike a 4Runner.

iamthewallress

Jul 15, 2011, 4:54 PM
Post #17 of 22 (10636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockgirlCO wrote:
I never thought of the coffin effect! Hmmm. My RAV4 set up sounds much better. The final platform needs a hinged piece in the rear to allow access to the subfloor storage.

I've looked at your Prius mod on Supertopo many times! So cool, so simple. I'm sure you love the MPG. I don't think I'd like the ground clearance though. Driving a coupe for 11 years I was sick of being so low to ground. I guess there are always trade offs.

Thanks. Most climbing spots in CA where I go require that you can camp in some illegal low-profile way, but not that you have 4wd (no snow for me) and clearance. In CO, I might want a different rig. My husband has a (POS ancient) Ranger if we really need local 4WD.

My platform was spit in 1/3s, but it's still a pain to get in there b/c your sleeping bags/pillows at a minimum (and usually a lot more) is sitting on top of it. That was my experience anyway...We have a 0 degree colman double sleeping bag ("the bigfoot") that just stays rolled out, and the packs never get crammed.

clee03m

Jul 15, 2011, 5:02 PM
Post #18 of 22 (10635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
If I was camping w/ a baby, I'd have a van all the way though. It's a little narrower (but adequate) to sleep two, but has a lot more headroom. It's a bit trickier to get everything into the front seats at night (but generally doable unless there's a haulbag or somesuch).

Hmmm. A Van. I once saw a van a decked out like an RV. I wonder...

iamthewallress

Jul 15, 2011, 5:09 PM
Post #19 of 22 (10630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
iamthewallress wrote:
If I was camping w/ a baby, I'd have a van all the way though. It's a little narrower (but adequate) to sleep two, but has a lot more headroom. It's a bit trickier to get everything into the front seats at night (but generally doable unless there's a haulbag or somesuch).

Hmmm. A Van. I once saw a van a decked out like an RV. I wonder...

This one's pretty sweet!

http://www.supertopo.com/...rsion-OT-lots-of-pix

You can have a bigger bed with a mostervan or if you do away w/ the other RV style ammenities.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 15, 2011, 8:16 PM
Post #20 of 22 (10598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word(well, okay more than one) Faux Sportsmobile!

My DREAM rig! Having the conversion van converted to a climbers van(high top, 18 inches bin storage clearance under the platofrm) was good but...I would like more. More, more, MORE!

I would love to have a Sprinter converision. But I don't need total convert. Wants:
- propane fridge
- counter top
- big bed(of course - comfy!)
- storage

Don't Want:
- microwave
- too many closets/cupboards - give me room for bins and I'm good.
- potty

Wouldn't mind:
- Shower

clee03m

Jul 15, 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #21 of 22 (10580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Girls and trucks: what's the attraction? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hell, if I am going to dream, my husband will turn into a climber. We will buy one of those vans made for climbers. We will retire early and travel the continent climbing. Then we sell the van and travel the world climbing.

Reality: Husband hates climbing. I pitch tent while baby wailing and waking every creature under god at the camp ground. *sigh*

krysia

Jul 22, 2011, 6:53 AM
Post #22 of 22 (10491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently bought a Toyota Tacoma, and for me the biggest reason was because I wanted the freedom and independence it gives me for doing the things I want to do. Since having it, I have gone on several climbing trips and have not had to reply on others to make it happen for me.

I dedicated a blog post to my decision and experience and am still really happy I bought it.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook