Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Cedar Park condition
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

zapata

Jul 29, 2011, 2:14 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Cedar Park condition  (North_America: Canada: British_Columbia: Okanagan: Kelowna_Crags)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone,

Making a trip out to K-town in the next week or two and am wondering about the condition of the cliffs @ Cedar Park. Specifically, the Gomer Wall where I've heard reports of rockfall taking out a ledge and possibly a route…?

Thx in advance

qtrollip

Jul 29, 2011, 2:59 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zapata] Cedar Park condition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi
Where are you coming from?
The rock quality is just fine. The undergrowth is more than I've seen for this time of year due to all the rain we've had.
Gomer wall has the easier routes around Cedar Park - I havent heard of a rock taking out a route though!!
Anyway, there is loads of other places close-by to also check out, like the Boulderfields, Lonely Crags, Mount Boucherie and then SKAHA and Vernon (both about 1-1/2 hours away).
Got a climbing buddy? I'm going to Japan next week so sorry I wont be around.
Have fun!
Quentin

zapata

Jul 29, 2011, 5:31 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtrollip] Cedar Park condition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello and thanks for the response Quentin,

I'm in Van, but lived in Kelowna for 6 yrs and am familiar with all the areas, still visit them often. But thanks for the reminders :) I have a climbing partner, thank you for asking

The rockfall I heard about came from the top of Southern Comfort and was apparently huge. I read a blog (can't find it now, someone from the Kelowna gym I think, not Mike) saying that the belay ledge used for Southern Comfort and Give Me Face had been taken out, along with some of the holds on Give Me Face.

So to confirm; You have been to the Kelowna Crags and climbing at the Gomer Wall recently, as in the last month or two? If yes, can you say 'yay' or 'nay' to the condition of these lines...?

D

qtrollip

Jul 29, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zapata] Cedar Park condition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! No I didn't know about that!

I was up there last week, but was over on Croissant Wall. There were climbers on Gomer, but more over to the right doing Expressway.
My friends were climbing just to the left of it on Rocky Mountain Fever last week and didnt mention anything about a rockfall though.

So sorry I cant answer your question with certainty.

Hope you can still make it out here and have some good climbing!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook