RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

shakylegs

Aug 9, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Rumney farm
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

/wipes eyes, shakes dirt off boots, looks around warily and wearily, nods to Edge

Hi. Been a looong time since I've been in these parts. No longer used to the site, so I was hoping someone could chime in with some helpful beta.

I was thinking of heading down to Rumney this week, and thinking of staying at the farm. Can't remember their name, unfortuanately. Do they still allow climbers to stay at their place?
And, um, can climbers' kids stay there as well?
How about, um climbers' kids and (friendly) dogs?

If not, does anyone have some other suggestions? I've looked for the campground info, but as I said I'm no longer familiar with the site.

Thanks all.

JoeHamilton

Aug 9, 2011, 3:40 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shakylegs] Rumney farm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to mountain pines on 25 , dogs and kids welcome, it's like 30 beans a night. Quiet and on the river.

edge

Aug 9, 2011, 4:17 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shakylegs wrote:
/wipes eyes, shakes dirt off boots, looks around warily and wearily, nods to Edge

Hi. Been a looong time since I've been in these parts. No longer used to the site, so I was hoping someone could chime in with some helpful beta.

I was thinking of heading down to Rumney this week, and thinking of staying at the farm. Can't remember their name, unfortuanately. Do they still allow climbers to stay at their place?
And, um, can climbers' kids stay there as well?
How about, um climbers' kids and (friendly) dogs?

If not, does anyone have some other suggestions? I've looked for the campground info, but as I said I'm no longer familiar with the site.

Thanks all.

Holy shnikeys, how've you been? Haven't heard from you since your Acadia trip about 3 years ago?

The farm is owned by the "Cameras." They still allow camping, but living close means that I haven't had to stay there for a while so I don't know about kids, dogs, or price.

Welcome back to the cesspool.

shakylegs

Aug 9, 2011, 4:24 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Rumney farm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

More like 5-6 years ago by now. Getting a dog, getting run over by a car, getting a stent put in, getting a kid have all kinda put the brakes on the climbing.
Did I every return the guidebook to you? If not, then I'm an asshole and I truly apologise.

xbrianx1990

Aug 9, 2011, 6:26 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The farm that I stayed at was Rattlesnake mtn campground. $8 per night per person. They do not allow dogs though.
-Brian

jakedatc

Aug 10, 2011, 1:08 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xbrianx1990] Rumney farm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, no dogs allowed at the farm. Go to Mtn pines down the road on 25. Apparently if you say you are a climber they will give you a bit of a break and it's 10/person instead of 15

wonderwoman

Aug 10, 2011, 7:13 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you talking about the Camara's house across the street or D Acres (http://www.dacres.org/....htm#Top%20of%20Page)?

The Camaras allow kids but not dogs. I have no idea about D Acres, though, since I've never stayed there.

edge

Aug 10, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shakylegs wrote:
More like 5-6 years ago by now. Getting a dog, getting run over by a car, getting a stent put in, getting a kid have all kinda put the brakes on the climbing.
Did I every return the guidebook to you? If not, then I'm an asshole and I truly apologise.

Time flies... Never got the guidebook, but then again I've only hit Acadia once since loaning it to you, so no biggie. I managed to fall on things just fine without it.

wonderwoman

Aug 10, 2011, 7:57 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

Time flies... Never got the guidebook, but then again I've only hit Acadia once since loaning it to you, so no biggie. I managed to fall on things just fine without it.

That's one of the most well-written guidebooks I've seen. And now, it's out of print.

edge

Aug 10, 2011, 8:06 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Rumney farm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

That's one of the most well-written guidebooks I've seen. And now, it's out of print.

You are not making my benevolence any easier... Mad

wonderwoman

Aug 10, 2011, 8:09 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

We loaned ours out just last night and made the borrower sign in blood that he'd return it.

Just kidding! Angelic

But yes, it is out of print.

jakedatc

Aug 10, 2011, 8:14 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

Shakey, I will be there the night of 15th all week. If you wanted to return the guidebook to Edge i could try to aid in that process as i'll probably see him sometime in the next 3 years..

wonderwoman

Aug 10, 2011, 8:16 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rumney farm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

Shakey, I will be there the night of 15th all week. If you wanted to return the guidebook to Edge i could try to aid in that process as i'll probably see him sometime in the next 3 years..

Or he could just auction the guidebook off to the highest bidder. How much is the guidebook worth to you, Jake? Wink

jakedatc

Aug 10, 2011, 8:19 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

Or he could just auction the guidebook off to the highest bidder. How much is the guidebook worth to you, Jake? Wink

not much.. been to Acadia exactly once. i've done 4 routes.

wonderwoman

Aug 10, 2011, 8:21 PM
Post #15 of 19 (2495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

I go twice per year (except for this year, unfortunately). Precipice is my favorite trad climbing area in the northeast.

edge

Aug 10, 2011, 8:28 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

I go twice per year (except for this year, unfortunately). Precipice is my favorite trad climbing area in the northeast.

Where's the Precipice? I'd look it up, but...

jakedatc

Aug 10, 2011, 8:43 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
edge wrote:
shakylegs wrote:

Yep, that is where we went after Mo's wedding. Doc warmed up on some .9 onsight with a giant hangover. we did Old Town and Conn. Crack and i think another that i am forgetting.

shakylegs

Aug 11, 2011, 3:29 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The weather looks iffy for the weekend, so it looks like I'm gonna back out. Three hours in a car with a cranky three-year-old is a bit more than I can handle (although we did do a 12-hour drive last year, so there you go). Besides, the kid will have plenty of time to see his old man flail on some walk-in-the-park slab in the coming years.
Edge, could you PM me your address? Ill send the book post-haste.

I can't remember if you recommended it, but I did Adair By The Sea in Acadia. Damn, that was a nice climb. Otter Cliffs, right? That whole area was nice, if somewhat gym-like.

edge

Aug 11, 2011, 4:05 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shakylegs wrote:
The weather looks iffy for the weekend, so it looks like I'm gonna back out. Three hours in a car with a cranky three-year-old is a bit more than I can handle (although we did do a 12-hour drive last year, so there you go). Besides, the kid will have plenty of time to see his old man flail on some walk-in-the-park slab in the coming years.
Edge, could you PM me your address? Ill send the book post-haste.

I can't remember if you recommended it, but I did Adair By The Sea in Acadia. Damn, that was a nice climb. Otter Cliffs, right? That whole area was nice, if somewhat gym-like.

I am sure that I would have recommended A Dare by The Sea; it is by far the best route at Otter and best to get the hell outta there afterwards to escape the lemmings.

I'll send my addy, but really, no big deal or rush.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook