Forums: Climbing Information: General:
You lost someones gear... Do you replace it?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: You lost someones gear... Do you replace it?
Repay in full. 38 / 66%
Split the cost 10 / 17%
Wasn't mine, Not my problem 1 / 2%
Trade or colateral till repayment 6 / 10%
Nothing, forget about it 3 / 5%
58 total votes

smallclimber

Aug 18, 2011, 3:39 PM
Post #26 of 43 (2376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazymountaingoat] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

crazymountaingoat wrote:
We spent almost 3 hours at the base of this climb trying to get this cam out to no avail. We never got to do the climb and had to leave the cam there.

Three of you spent three hours trying to get the cam out and as a result never even did the climb. What a waste of climbing time. You paid more than the cost of the cam in your wasted time.

meanandugly

Aug 18, 2011, 4:14 PM
Post #27 of 43 (2369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazymountaingoat] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They are being a complete dick and so are you. Give the pad back and walk away, replace your cam yourself and call it a day. I have had similar situations happen, some replace the gear, some don't....those who don't are not in my climbing circle.
I had one friend who destroyed a tent, he was pretty broke and was only able to give me $5 bucks a week. I was ok with that and after a month I told him to forget about the rest. He was honourable and made the effort and that was all I needed to see. A few year later he was in a better financial position and out of the blue bought me a new tent.
Life is as easy or as hard as you make it, you're making it hard.

ckirkwood9

Aug 18, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #28 of 43 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

meanandugly wrote:

Amen to that! Return the pad, and let the whole thing go.

You're adding to your own 'pain' by holding onto negative thought/emotion because of this issue.

- if you keep the pad, every time you LOOK at the pad, you'll be reminded of the lost cam and how you felt screwed by your climbing partner. So in the end, though you may feel justified, you'll only be screwing yourself by adding stress and negativity to your life and never letting go of the issue.

If you return the pad, it'll smart for a little while as you navigate 'letting go' of feeling screwed, but after a few days (or weeks if you're really pissed) you won't perseverate on it any more and you'll be free of the negativity.

A positive spin on the situation: you've paid 50 bucks to get rid of parasite in your life, a 'partner' who didn't partner up when it was time to do so (gas $, beer $, gear $, etc).

BTW since your question is 'do you replace it', MY answer is YES.. I'd replace a cam that I welded in a crack. because cams are cheap, friendships and good climbing partners are priceless.

Good luck ~

mr.tastycakes

Aug 18, 2011, 5:08 PM
Post #29 of 43 (2349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Funny how these etiquette threads get everyone fired up.

Personally, if I lose a piece of my partner's gear I'll replace it in full. So far I've only had to replace a nut I dropped, and a carabiner i mistakenly left on route, clipped to a piton, because I thought it was in-situ (Seriously, who clips in to a piton with just a carabiner these days? This is freakin' 2011). If there's joint responsibility for the gear loss, i.e. leader makes an over-cammed placement and the second can't retrieve it, I think the cost should be split, but thankfully this hasn't happened to me yet.

As for your situation, your partner is a dick and your partnership is ruined. Don't ruin your karma though. Give this prick his crashpad back and tell him to his face, "You're an asshole." I'm serious; don't sugar coat it either. Forget about getting reimbursed for your cam. It's gone, c'est la vie.

westhegimp

Aug 19, 2011, 5:44 AM
Post #30 of 43 (2313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At this point I would give the pad back and buy my self a new cam. I would put this "stress" behind me. Probably not going to climb with that guy again though.

Wes

mbrd

Aug 19, 2011, 7:44 AM
Post #31 of 43 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vencido] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vencido wrote:

Best thing to learn from this is that shit happens and if someone really cheated you out of $20 (half the cost of your depreciated cam) someday someone will cheat them out of $20.

ahhh-

there is nothing in kharmic doctrine that says the wheel will spin your way in this lifetime!

c'mon, pony up the crashpad, take the hit... he's bouldering, you're slotting gear, maybe you never see each other again? not much of a theory, true, but my walnut sized brain strained pretty hard to arrive at it.

mbrd

Aug 19, 2011, 7:49 AM
Post #32 of 43 (2304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

meanandugly wrote:
I had one friend who destroyed a tent, he was pretty broke and was only able to give me $5 bucks a week. I was ok with that and after a month I told him to forget about the rest. He was honourable and made the effort and that was all I needed to see. A few year later he was in a better financial position and out of the blue bought me a new tent.

here we go, this is where it's at!

good example!

jacques

Aug 19, 2011, 2:59 PM
Post #33 of 43 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
If you were teaching someone how to place the cam (your cam) and you did such a poor job that they got it stuck, I think it's your problem.
However, if the person said they'd pay for it, they should have.
You should give the person back their crashpad.
I don't think the two of you should ever climb together again.

first I thought pay it back and after comments like this, I change my mind.
An other point is the situation of your partner, if he didn't eat because he pay for the gas and other think...the situation most be different. In friendship, the intention is more important than the act. I met some people who stole sugar in a gaz station without paying for a coffe. I think that it is a bad comportment, I saw other giving some think they need, like the crash pad, to respect there words.
I brought many people to climb and some of them ask me 50 box for a trip of 60. an other don't pay anything, but when he had a chance, he call me as a friend without saying anything, I had more than what I lost that day.
Friendship or climbing?

tH1e-swiN1e

Aug 19, 2011, 3:07 PM
Post #34 of 43 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
I bet somebody got that cam out. I've never lost a cam and have cleaned many "hopelessly over cammed" cams

I agree with splitting the cost. You agreed to teach them how to set anchors. You were right there. Now if they were to have dropped your cam then I think they should pay in full.

Otherwise dump the partner and give them their pad back.

I got your cam. I love obtaining gear from wall as I climb. Free gear is almost better than climbing.

Split the cost of the cam (because you were teaching them), and quit fighting like high school girls.

dindolino32

Aug 19, 2011, 5:31 PM
Post #35 of 43 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sell the pad, buy a cam and give him any change.

damienclimber

Aug 19, 2011, 9:57 PM
Post #36 of 43 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mbrd] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mbrd wrote:
meanandugly wrote:

here we go, this is where it's at!

good example!

I agree !
Personally I think you wanted us to see how nice you boulder! Very pretty

gmggg

Aug 22, 2011, 2:17 PM
Post #37 of 43 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
If you were teaching someone how to place the cam (your cam) and you did such a poor job that they got it stuck, I think it's your problem.
However, if the person said they'd pay for it, they should have.
You should give the person back their crashpad.
I don't think the two of you should ever climb together again.

first I thought pay it back and after comments like this, I change my mind.
An other point is the situation of your partner, if he didn't eat because he pay for the gas and other think...the situation most be different. In friendship, the intention is more important than the act. I met some people who stole sugar in a gaz station without paying for a coffe. I think that it is a bad comportment, I saw other giving some think they need, like the crash pad, to respect there words.
I brought many people to climb and some of them ask me 50 box for a trip of 60. an other don't pay anything, but when he had a chance, he call me as a friend without saying anything, I had more than what I lost that day.
Friendship or climbing?

Woo! That's me. But it's not stealing if they give it to you.

However, it doesn't sound like he gave you his crash pad, or you gave him your cam. If it were me I'd give him back his pad, hope he returns the favor in some way towards a new cam. If he didn't I'd chalk it up to experience and, as shockabuku pointed out, try to do a better job teaching next time.

jacques

Aug 22, 2011, 3:27 PM
Post #38 of 43 (2145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
I climbed for 20 years and it could be some other person that I was thinking.

The question is if someone lost your gear and don't have the money to pay it back.. is he a bad person? On one side there is bad people (stole, ask for too much money) and on the toher there are good people (tolearance, give to the next one)

The conclusion I gave is that there is good people who, when they are in a bad move, can not do what they want and they remember it. They do the same to other fellow or they are there when you need them.

gmggg

Aug 22, 2011, 4:57 PM
Post #39 of 43 (2124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
gmggg wrote:
I climbed for 20 years and it could be some other person that I was thinking.

The question is if someone lost your gear and don't have the money to pay it back.. is he a bad person? On one side there is bad people (stole, ask for too much money) and on the toher there are good people (tolearance, give to the next one)

The conclusion I gave is that there is good people who, when they are in a bad move, can not do what they want and they remember it. They do the same to other fellow or they are there when you need them.

That's why I highlighted the difference between taking something and asking for it. If these guys had a good line of communication at the crag they could have probably avoided there whole mess.

But yeah, bad people do good things and good people do bad things. There's probably just good and bad things and not good and bad people.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 22, 2011, 5:19 PM
Post #40 of 43 (2118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am curious as to what you have decided.

Josh

damienclimber

Aug 24, 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #41 of 43 (2089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
I am curious as to what you have decided.

Josh

To keep posting his bouldering video until he gets a sponsor ! Laugh

Scoobdoo6559

Aug 29, 2011, 8:12 AM
Post #42 of 43 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree! Keep the pad, don't take any more of this person's phone calls - and if it's from a cell phone number go online to your cell carriers web site and block the number. This person is OBVIOUSLY not a person of 'their word' and 9 months is 9x as long as I would have taken to 'make things right' with this other person had I lost of a piece of their gear.

Whether an accident of not that the cam DID get stuck - I would have felt badly about it had I got it stuck on them and would have felt the need to replace it for them if I was the person who had placed the cam resulting in it's LOSS!

blueeyedclimber

Aug 29, 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #43 of 43 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scoobdoo6559] You lost someones gear... Do you replace it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus! Is this thread still going on. This is not a climbing issue, this is a human relationship issue. He's being a jerk. You're being a jerk. Sometimes friends do stupid or selfish things. Sometimes you need to say good bye to people in your life. That's the great thing about being a grown up. You have a choice who you spend your time with.

Josh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook