RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Idako

Aug 22, 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #1 of 22 (14325 views)
Shortcut

Top Rope Anchor gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Working on getting together a set of gear for setting up top rope anchors in a reasonable variety of scenarios, from the list below is there anything major missing?

- 2 double length slings
- 2 normal length slings
- 4 Locking carabiners
- 7 wiregate carabiners
- 30' 1" tubular webbing, climb-spec
- 2 pieces of 21' 7mm cord
- 60m rope

(Each climber has their own harness/belay device/ shoes etc)

Based on reading / discussion and lurking here this seems to be more than enough for any top rope setups, not including ones that would need nuts/cams/other gear.

In addition I was planning on tossing in a piece of carpet for protecting over the edge and a towel for potentially protecting a tree.

I was thinking like a 12"x12" piece of carpet would be enough, any thoughts? too big, too small?

Anything I am overlooking?

In case it's relevant this will be for gunks area climbing / peterskill.

Thanks for any input.

^^Edited to add:

I will be going out with more experienced climbers and possibly hiring a guide in the future, my purpose for posting this here is more for feedback as to whether I am missing anything for a basic "kit" for setting up a Top Rope anchor in most reasonable scenarios.(ie not needing to place pro)

(This post was edited by Idako on Aug 22, 2011, 9:10 PM)

tH1e-swiN1e

Aug 22, 2011, 2:46 AM
Post #2 of 22 (14300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Idako] Top Rope gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you dont know what you need, you probably shouldnt be setting up anchors. Take a class.

Idako

Aug 22, 2011, 2:52 AM
Post #3 of 22 (14294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Top Rope gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be going with a few other experienced climbers, and potentially a guide first few tines out.

Will probably use their stuff I just like to get myself setup as well.

Partner j_ung

Aug 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #4 of 22 (14256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Idako] Top Rope gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Idako wrote:
I will be going with a few other experienced climbers, and potentially a guide first few tines out.

Will probably use their stuff I just like to get myself setup as well.

I'd recommend doing that before you buy anything. See what they use and ask them what you ought to get, so you don't end up with anything that's largely useless and lengths of cord and webbing that aren't long enough. Good call on the carpet scrap and towel, though.

Idako

Aug 22, 2011, 1:26 PM
Post #5 of 22 (14230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Top Rope gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Already purchased this stuff so I could practice some of the fundamentals. I setup a few 2x4's with eyehooks on them at various distances to work on equalizing and rigging mock anchors.

In doing anything I take input from everywhere I can; Discussions, books, forums,etc. So just looking for some insight to things I may have overlooked.

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #6 of 22 (14204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Idako] Top Rope Anchor gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Idako wrote:
from the list below is there anything major missing?

Yes, common sense.

You don't purchase gear before you learn the art of rigging anchors.

If you're anchoring to trees, all you need is two lengths of 1" tubular webbing (much more versatile than sewn slings, since they can be tied in multiple ways at different lengths), two locking biners and your rope.

Idako

Aug 22, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #7 of 22 (14157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rescueman] Top Rope Anchor gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you're anchoring to trees, all you need is two lengths of 1" tubular webbing (much more versatile than sewn slings, since they can be tied in multiple ways at different lengths), two locking biners and your rope.

What would you suggest as to the lengths? I currently have a 30' piece, should I keep it intact or split it given that I have 2 pieces of 7mm cord @ 21; already and some of a spool left over too.

I assume at times it will be trees, or bolts I am not 100% certain and would like to have a fairly versatile setup for now.

(This post was edited by Idako on Aug 22, 2011, 9:11 PM)

bearbreeder

Aug 22, 2011, 9:13 PM
Post #8 of 22 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the person teaching you should be able to tell you exactly what you are likely to need in yr area ...

dont buy anything until youve learned ... saves you money latter

if you want to be prepared learn about the knots, serene anchors, natural anchors as much as possible prior ...

put it this way ... would you rather trust a real live person (assuming they are qualified and experienced) whose showing you in person and using the actual anchor to climb

or some random rc intraweb experts who tend to be more interested in forcing their viewpoint on you just to win an intraweb argument ...
Tongue

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 9:41 PM
Post #9 of 22 (14137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Idako wrote:
In reply to:
What would you suggest as to the lengths?

That depends entirely on where you climb. Once you start climbing, you'll know what you need.

I generally bring webbing in lengths from 12' to 25'. If I need a longer extension, I tie two lengths together.

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #10 of 22 (14135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Top Rope Anchor gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
or some random rc intraweb experts who tend to be more interested in forcing their viewpoint on you just to win an intraweb argument ...

You seem to have a thorn up your ass. The OP asked for advice, and a number of us are offering it. No one's forcing their viewpoint on anyone, except perhaps you.

Idako

Aug 22, 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #11 of 22 (14118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had already bought most of this after picking up a few books and wanting to practice various knots and other things (Sliding X, etc).

I will be seeing the people we'll be climbing with tomorrow actually, I would just rather go in with some prep and some gear so i'm not just mooching or doing things lazily.

Like I said, RC is just one more tool in the box, I have picked up and read as many books as I can get my hands on, read everything I can find from magazines to websites / forums etc.

What I'm primarily looking for in the OP is that even if perhaps overkill in some areas that list of gear will get me by and that no one saw it and said "OMG you forgot this widget".

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #12 of 22 (14112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Idako wrote:
What I'm primarily looking for in the OP is that even if perhaps overkill in some areas that list of gear will get me by and that no one saw it and said "OMG you forgot this widget".

Yes, you forgot a climbing harness and belay device. Climbing shoes are also nice.

You might also need a flashy lycra outfit to show off your physique, and don't forget a water bottle and something to eat.

There is, in other words, an endless list of possible widgets that you could waste your money on. But if you wanted good advice, you would have said "I'm heading to the climbing shop next week and would like advice on the basic equipment needed to begin top roping", rather than "I already bought these things and want to know what I forgot".

We learn far better from living life than from reading about it. Then we can make intelligent and responsible decisions about what we really need.

bearbreeder

Aug 22, 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #13 of 22 (14099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
You seem to have a thorn up your ass. The OP asked for advice, and a number of us are offering it. No one's forcing their viewpoint on anyone, except perhaps you.

bleat bleat bleat ... all the "advice" you give is pretty useless without the OP going to the actual crags and practicing setups ... and talking to real live people who climb there to see whats needed ...

simple as that ... Tongue

neverwalk

Aug 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #14 of 22 (14095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Something important to keep in mind if you are climbing at the Gunks, you are NOT allowed to use some of the trees as anchors in Minnewaska State Park. It's posted in their reg's.
The high use rate damages the bark, which ultimitely can kill the trees. Specifically the type of pines that grow there are very susceptible to "girdling" or scoring and compression of the bark. These are Pitch Pines. If you don't know what they look like, just don't use any pine tree.

Removable gear, or fixed anchors (typically two solid bolts) are your choices. The trees you can use can be pretty far back from the edge. Longer lengths of static line are more useful. As you have indicated, go there with a guide, or someone who knows the area to sort out what will work best for you.

marc801

Aug 22, 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #15 of 22 (14094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
Idako wrote:

Yes, you forgot a climbing harness and belay device. Climbing shoes are also nice.
Reading comprehension much? The OP wrote right after his list:
In reply to:
(Each climber has their own harness/belay device/ shoes etc)

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #16 of 22 (14087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Top Rope Anchor gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Reading comprehension much?

YUP, I have trouble comprehending incomprehensible non-sentences, such as "Reading comprehension much?".

Idako

Aug 22, 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #17 of 22 (14084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Top Rope Anchor gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea was just reading about the pines and I am familiar with that they look like from hiking some other areas nearby.

I'm heading there tomorrow to look around and check out the area (not to climb).

I understand that there are a million different things that "could" be bought. I am fairly confident from my original list that I didn't miss any glaring items, again limiting it to ideal setups where either natural or fixed anchors were available.

What I was looking for, based on where I mentioned I would be, was something like "If you're going to Top Rope in the gunks / peterskill make sure you have a 50' piece of webbing or 90% of the routes won't be doable". (Again, that was a made up example of something specific to the area that I may not directly know.)

And YES I will ask face to face the other climbers I will be with as well. And I will weigh what they say, what I find out on my own and potentially responses here and make a decision.

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
Post #18 of 22 (14079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Top Rope Anchor gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
bleat bleat bleat ... all the "advice" you give is pretty useless without the OP going to the actual crags and practicing setups ... and talking to real live people who climb there to see whats needed ...

simple as that ... Tongue

I'm glad the world is "as simple as that" to a simpleton.

But going to the crag with experienced people BEFORE deciding what to buy is precisely what I've been suggesting.

tolman_paul

Aug 24, 2011, 6:24 PM
Post #19 of 22 (13977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Angelic

Rmsyll2

Aug 25, 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #20 of 22 (13923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Idako wrote "is there anything major missing?"

Basically, No, the list is very good, even to having the 30' length for tying in to rig anywhere. And the abundance of non-lockers will avoid girth hitching anything.

But Yes: an understanding of equalizing. Runners listed are in pairs, which is the source of difficulty making proper use of two anchor points as are commonly provided or made. To be using two, both for redundancy and lowering the stress (= increasing the safety) per side, the tension per side needs to be as balanced as the angles will allow. For that, use a redundant loop between both anchors, and set a loop knot where the two lockers for the rope need to be. See "Top-rope equalizing" at the General forum. For that, your two 21' cords will serve very well in most cases.

Nothing on your list will be useless, btw. To keep the carpet in place, parachute cord to the anchors could be added (see also Yo Yo Pad). And a mat for the rope (often in the bag, where the extra rope can be kept) will be nice.

For your case particularly, Climb on! I suspect you will be a superb climber progressing quickly (and likely into Trad), and wish you were where I climb. This winter, come on down, and pm so I'm there to meet you.

madrasrock

Aug 25, 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #21 of 22 (13880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would save your money and just get
(2) 21' 7mm cord
(6) locking carabiners
(1) 60' 7/16" static rope
You can build any anchor anywhere with only this equipment. But training is the key.

Plus
(1) 60 meter climbing rope

Rick

Idako

Aug 26, 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #22 of 22 (13836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrasrock] Top Rope Anchor gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

madrasrock wrote:
I would save your money and just get
(2) 21' 7mm cord
(6) locking carabiners
(1) 60' 7/16" static rope
You can build any anchor anywhere with only this equipment. But training is the key.

Plus
(1) 60 meter climbing rope

Rick

Met with the guy who will be taking us out (hopefully labor day) and he said essentially the same thing. No big deal the few extra pieces of gear were on sale / good deals and won't go to waste they just may not get used so much in the beginning.

thanks all for the feedback!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook