Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Access
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jaablink

Aug 23, 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2003 views)
Shortcut

Access  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northeastern_Region: Tilbury_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was told by a neighbor that because of increased traffic, and loud disrespectful people that have been parking private property, easy access to Tilbury rocks is now gone. The 3 spots that were for parking on the bend have been bouldered, and the alternate access from rt 11 is now posted.

eddietheteddie

Aug 24, 2011, 1:40 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] Access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This would be the perfect place for a local climber to team up with the access fund, and establish a management plan for the area. Its too bad people have been abusing the privilege to go here (were they climbers?). Ive avoided the place due to the access issues, as have many others I know. Hopefully someone local will step up to the plate and advocate for future climber access.

Thanks for the access update jaablink

(This post was edited by eddietheteddie on Aug 24, 2011, 1:42 PM)

autoxfil

Sep 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eddietheteddie] Access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got in today, but it was a pretty good hike from route 29. Probably 30 minutes, although if a herd path was established it would be shorter. You also have to cross the creek which can be a pain.

For those who are interested:

Take 29 north from 11. Just past the ice cream place there's a pull-off on the left with room for 2-3 cars. There are plenty more every 1/4 mile or so up 29 if that's full.

Walk across the road, cross the stream (you can usually walk across without ever getting wet above the kees. Bring trekking poles, the current is swift), and follow the hillside around to Tilbury.

This would be a great time to check out the big red cliffs above rt 29. The lower band of rock is quite good and there's plenty of opportunity for sport or runout trad lines. The top is overhanging crap.

It's a quick, but steeply uphill hike from this parking area.

Maybe 1 mile upstream from rt 11 there is a pipeline that crosses the stream. You can shinny over this if fording doesn't look fun.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook