RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Marylandclimber

Sep 8, 2011, 1:02 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Training help!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay so i'm 13 now and i love climbing. I been using a hanging bored for 1 year and a small climbing wall i have. I took a Seneca mountain climbign class and have expeirence climbing. I trad climb alot and toprope. I'm also thinking about campusing board. Are doing these things like campusing and finger bored training bad for my age?
And what kind of food that would be healthy for climbing? Like nuts, fruits, ect...? Any responses would help!

Btw my climbing range is 5.10ish.

(This post was edited by Marylandclimber on Sep 8, 2011, 1:09 AM)

damienclimber

Sep 8, 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Training help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
Okay so i'm 13 now and i love climbing. I been using a hanging bored for 1 year and a small climbing wall i have. I took a Seneca mountain climbign class and have expeirence climbing. I trad climb alot and toprope. I'm also thinking about campusing board. Are doing these things like campusing and finger bored training bad for my age?
And what kind of food that would be healthy for climbing? Like nuts, fruits, ect...? Any responses would help!

just climb alot inside and outside.
stay lean and mean
learn from better climbers
13 ? , stay off internet !!!

JoeNYC

Sep 8, 2011, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you want to get anywhere close to 5.11 then you should probably stop eating altogether.

Also, hanging bored is popular, so you've got a head start there....unfortunately though, all training is boring no matter how old you are.

Glad I helped!

sungam

Sep 8, 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

At your age/experience you would probobly get much better gains if you ditched the hangboard for actual climbing. Bad habits are hard to squash - get good technique and movement habits first then get strong. The long term gains will be greater (and you will have a smaller chance of performance crushing injury).

Edit to add some more info:

I would say that the risk of injury is very great at your age/experience. Tendons/sheaths/pullies take longer to react to stimulus and strengthen then muscles do. If you screw up a pulley/tendon/etc. it can be a serious long term hassle.

For nutrition you should be eating 3 servings of different vegetables and 3 severings of different fruit a day minimum. Nuts have a lot of important nutrients in them but they also have a lot of fat, so moderation is the key there.

You should be getting most of your energy from carbohydrate. Don't believe the meatheads that claim that you need obtuse amounts of protein.

If you want to learn more about nutrition (and I would encourage you to) "Gold Medal Nutrition" by Glenn Cardwell costs around 15 bucks on amazon. It is a great read.

(This post was edited by sungam on Sep 8, 2011, 10:11 AM)

saint_john

Sep 8, 2011, 2:57 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:

You're 13. Eat whatever you want and enjoy it while it lasts.

ceebo

Sep 8, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Training help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And once he sets dow nthe road of drugs and women.... to ebay with the climbing gear.

zealotnoob

Sep 8, 2011, 3:16 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Training help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
Marylandclimber wrote:

You're 13. Eat whatever you want and enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah, and your tendons will probably take whatever you throw at them (though, what the guy above said is true--better to climb than use a hang/campus board).

Just climb and stay healthy. Realize that you will not always improve overnight, even if you get substantially stronger. Climbing is more like mastering a language. Think long term. It takes time for the fundamentals to ingrain themselves to a reactionary level. Immerse yourself. Don't be afraid to take a break. Explore all the avenues of the genre. Enjoy.

(This post was edited by zealotnoob on Sep 8, 2011, 3:26 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook