Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rocker1525

Sep 26, 2011, 5:51 AM
Post #1 of 45 (11058 views)
Shortcut

Help me pick new car!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing for almost 2 years now and have always been into camping but now it's time for a new car, maybe not new, but fairly new. I need something with 4 wheel drive, and a roof rack and that's pretty much it. What do you use? Do you like it? How well does it go into "the back country"? Would you recommend it?

singletrackmike

Sep 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #2 of 45 (11018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocker1525] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife & I have a Toyota Rav4 & a Subaru Forrestor. Hard to go wrong with either. Someone on RC.com had submitted some pics of a neat easy modification he did to extend the back floor space for camping in his Forrestor.
If I was to pick one, I'd go with the Subaru.

Idako

Sep 26, 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #3 of 45 (11005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [singletrackmike] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I was to pick one, I'd go with the Subaru.

+1

tigerlilly

Sep 26, 2011, 2:44 PM
Post #4 of 45 (10965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a 2002 Honda CRV I bought new that I just love. I can fit 3 bikes and riders inside of it, have stacked 7 kayaks on the roof of if and have driven through axle-deep mud with twice. And it'll get 28 mpg on road trips on cruise-control (minus the kayaks on the roof - they kill the aerodynamics). It's the car of choice when my friends and I go on road trips. With 130k miles, it runs like new.

lena_chita

Sep 26, 2011, 3:26 PM
Post #5 of 45 (10947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

tigerlilly wrote:
I've got a 2002 Honda CRV I bought new that I just love. I can fit 3 bikes and riders inside of it, have stacked 7 kayaks on the roof of if and have driven through axle-deep mud with twice. And it'll get 28 mpg on road trips on cruise-control (minus the kayaks on the roof - they kill the aerodynamics). It's the car of choice when my friends and I go on road trips. With 130k miles, it runs like new.

CRV is nice, but it is not a 4WD, if I understand correctly, and that's what the OP is looking for. It has high-enough clearance to go into many areas, but there are certain situations where my Subaru handles much easier and has a lot less trouble than my friend's CRV. Plus, while you can rig it into a sleeping configuration, taking the back seats out and putting them back in is a bit of a pain and you can't really sleep two in the car, unless you build a platform to elevate your sleeping setup above the wheels.

If I were going with a Honda, I would definitely pick Element. You don't need to make any "homemade" modifications in order to be able to sleep in the car, and changing the back seat configuration is a snap.

But I am really happy with my Subaru Forester, so I am throwing a vote for Subaru. Smile All I need to do to sleep in it is to lower the back seats flat and throw a sleeping mat on top. Though in terms of sleeping in it, if you are taller than 5 feet, or if you want to sleep two, you also would need a built platform, and that would leave very little headroom and would feel very claustrophobic.

(This post was edited by lena_chita on Sep 26, 2011, 4:25 PM)

jolery

Sep 26, 2011, 3:32 PM
Post #6 of 45 (10940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and I have been looking at Subarus. The new Outback has great clearance, and a lot more room (length) in the rear section of the vehicle than the Forester - important to us for dogs and gear.

tH1e-swiN1e

Sep 26, 2011, 4:11 PM
Post #7 of 45 (10929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jolery] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had tons of "crag cars". Jeeps are fun and cheap. If you have the money Id definitely do with a subaru. I drive an ML350 now and it does great getting me into the southern region of RRG.

olderic

Sep 26, 2011, 5:03 PM
Post #8 of 45 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

[quote "lena_chita"

CRV is nice, but it is not a 4WD, if I understand correctly, and that's what the OP is looking for.
CRV cones in 2WD and 4WD in 4 trim levels. Has for a number of years. The feature it gets routinely hammered on is the lack of a 6cyl engine. If that is a must then you will go RAV-4.

To the original poster - I would do a LOT of real research. There is 100x more beta regarding vehicles out there then there is about ..oh..say climbing. Then if you really think there is a something unique about climbing requirements for a vehicle come back with a pointed question. vague questions are going to get vague answers monopolized by the most vocal who are seldom the most knowledgeable and will consist of a bunch of one off stories which may be interesting to read but are statistically insignificant.

dynosore

Sep 26, 2011, 5:38 PM
Post #9 of 45 (10893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
[quote "lena_chita"

CRV is nice, but it is not a 4WD, if I understand correctly, and that's what the OP is looking for.

CRV cones in 2WD and 4WD in 4 trim levels. Has for a number of years. The feature it gets routinely hammered on is the lack of a 6cyl engine. If that is a must then you will go RAV-4.

To the original poster - I would do a LOT of real research. There is 100x more beta regarding vehicles out there then there is about ..oh..say climbing. Then if you really think there is a something unique about climbing requirements for a vehicle come back with a pointed question. vague questions are going to get vague answers monopolized by the most vocal who are seldom the most knowledgeable and will consist of a bunch of one off stories which may be interesting to read but are statistically insignificant.
Perhaps what they were getting at is that it doesn't have true 4wd. Few vehicles do these days. I have a 08 GMC half ton with locking diffy's and low range and it is worlds better than "all wheel drive" when the going gets really ugly. Of course, it's a trade off and the mileage is terrible.....

jeepnphreak

Sep 26, 2011, 5:55 PM
Post #10 of 45 (10884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I think you have to be more specific. What do you need the car/truck to do. I have been to AZ a few times for 4x4 ralies and I may have different opinions of what back country is. my definition of back country is that the vehicle needs Skid plates, lockers and minimum of 33 inch tires and roll cage and recovery points. So something like a jeep, unimog, or Toyota Fj 40 would be a great choice.

Or Are you needing something for logging roads and a bit more ground clearance than a civic? than a Subaru, or other all wheel drive would be a good choice.

Or are you camping for a family of 6 + three dogs than a suburban or excursion would be a good choice.

Is it just you and your girl friend dirt bagging it? Than a rav 4 , Suzuki samurai just a small two seater pickup truck..?

wonderwoman

Sep 26, 2011, 7:02 PM
Post #11 of 45 (10855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had 3 subarus in my lifetime, and just bought an outback. I was not sold on it until I slept in it. Now I love the car!

marc801

Sep 26, 2011, 8:12 PM
Post #12 of 45 (10837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I have had 3 subarus in my lifetime, and just bought an outback. I was not sold on it until I slept in it. Now I love the car!
There are many backcountry climbing areas in the west where a Subaru has neither the clearance, articulation, or 4x4 gearing that is satisfactory, to say nothing of skid plates, locking differentials, and beefier than stock axles that won't snap. There's stuff here you just don't encounter in New England.

Jeepnfreak nailed it - until the OP clarifies what he means by 4x4 capability (recall that he lives in Arizona), specific vehicle recommendations or testimonials are pretty pointless.

tigerlilly

Sep 26, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #13 of 45 (10817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:

CRV is nice, but it is not a 4WD, if I understand correctly, and that's what the OP is looking for. It has high-enough clearance to go into many areas, but there are certain situations where my Subaru handles much easier and has a lot less trouble than my friend's CRV. Plus, while you can rig it into a sleeping configuration, taking the back seats out and putting them back in is a bit of a pain and you can't really sleep two in the car, unless you build a platform to elevate your sleeping setup above the wheels.

If I were going with a Honda, I would definitely pick Element. You don't need to make any "homemade" modifications in order to be able to sleep in the car, and changing the back seat configuration is a snap.

But I am really happy with my Subaru Forester, so I am throwing a vote for Subaru. Smile All I need to do to sleep in it is to lower the back seats flat and throw a sleeping mat on top. Though in terms of sleeping in it, if you are taller than 5 feet, or if you want to sleep two, you also would need a built platform, and that would leave very little headroom and would feel very claustrophobic.

My CRV is a much an AWD vehicle as the Subaru Outback. Both only drive all wheels when one starts slipping. As OldEric pointed out, there are 2WD versions available, which could be what your friends have. I've driven mine though mudholes that stopped regular cars, and through snow up to the bumpers and I have ordinary all-season radials on it.

The Element has the advantage of a flat floor for sleeping, but will only seat 4 folks, instead of 5 for the Subarus or CRV. I can't remember what the Rav4 has for seating.

rocker1525

Sep 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #14 of 45 (10792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually you guys are giving me pretty much what I want to hear, keep them coming.
I currently have a 2008 jeep wrangler unlimited that has a Moab package, lifted with 35in tires. It goes anywhere I need it but with it's price tag it's just not practical anymore, don't get me wrong I love it but I need something that wont cost me an arm and a leg to drive out of town on a trip. My wife and I are looking for some sort of a suv type with good gas milage and that can make it through some ruff dirt roads, maybe a jeep liberty?
Keep your stories coming though please!!!

dharmanos

Sep 27, 2011, 3:08 AM
Post #15 of 45 (10737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Long live the AMC Eagle!

donald949

Sep 27, 2011, 6:11 PM
Post #16 of 45 (10654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocker1525 wrote:
Actually you guys are giving me pretty much what I want to hear, keep them coming.
I currently have a 2008 jeep wrangler unlimited that has a Moab package, lifted with 35in tires. It goes anywhere I need it but with it's price tag it's just not practical anymore, don't get me wrong I love it but I need something that wont cost me an arm and a leg to drive out of town on a trip. My wife and I are looking for some sort of a suv type with good gas milage and that can make it through some ruff dirt roads, maybe a jeep liberty?
Then you prolly won't like my sugestion of a Suburban 2500 4x4 with rear locker. I can sleep in the back. Haul 4x8 sheet of plywood. Tow the trailer. Bounce up and down the road to Clark Canyon with the whole family lugging a kayak while the little sedans are sweeting blood. And best of all, fillups come in a tad under $125. Smile
Seriously though, a new car is got to be more $ than a few fill ups on an 08 Wrangler?

(This post was edited by donald949 on Sep 27, 2011, 6:12 PM)

sandstone

Sep 27, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #17 of 45 (10634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The almost new Toyota 4Runner I got in '05 has been great. There's plenty of room for gear, and I can sleep in it. It has great ground clearance and maneuverability. There's plenty of power for acceleration, and for pulling a trailer. MPG is 20.2 average, and about 24 on the open road (more if I keep my speed down). Reliability is best described as bomber -- no problems.

jomagam

Sep 27, 2011, 8:26 PM
Post #18 of 45 (10607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Canyonero Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4QgWRycd7I

jeepnphreak

Sep 27, 2011, 8:40 PM
Post #19 of 45 (10601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocker1525 wrote:

So are you looking to sell the Wrangler and buy a cheap vehicle with gas money left over. Is the wrangler paid for? Reason Im asking is car payments are way more costly than gas prices.

rocker1525

Sep 28, 2011, 8:10 AM
Post #20 of 45 (10538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not that I can't make my payment, we actually got a good deal on the wrangler, it's just "too much" of a car for what I need. It gets like 8 miles to the gallon and when it's 80 bucks or so to fill up trips on it are expessive. I just need a little less of an off road vehicle, if you get what im saying. The jeep is a great car but it's made to basically rock crawl, and I would rather rock climb. ;)

blueeyedclimber

Sep 28, 2011, 3:45 PM
Post #21 of 45 (10501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jolery] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jolery wrote:
My wife and I have been looking at Subarus. The new Outback has great clearance, and a lot more room (length) in the rear section of the vehicle than the Forester - important to us for dogs and gear.

We have a 2010 Outback. We bought it because we wanted something to sleep in and the newer model is large enough for that, as long as you are not too tall. I am 5'9" and we fit in comfortably.

Josh

donald949

Sep 28, 2011, 4:07 PM
Post #22 of 45 (10479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocker1525 wrote:
It's not that I can't make my payment, we actually got a good deal on the wrangler, it's just "too much" of a car for what I need. It gets like 8 miles to the gallon and when it's 80 bucks or so to fill up trips on it are expessive. I just need a little less of an off road vehicle, if you get what im saying. The jeep is a great car but it's made to basically rock crawl, and I would rather rock climb. ;)
8 MPG, OUCH! Thats worse than my Suburban.
Well you did say it was lifted with 35's on it. Lots of good suggestion here on Subie's
Also look at the Toyotas, 4runners and FJ's. Also Jeep Grand C.
Depending on how far you want to step back from a rock crawler. Anything stock will give better mpg than you're getting now.

ckirkwood9

Sep 28, 2011, 4:13 PM
Post #23 of 45 (10475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Help me pick new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got an 07 forester xt sport. GREAT car. 2 can sleep in the back for weekend trips. I'm 6'1" and can sleep flat stretched out if i push the seats forward and tilt the backs forward.

The gas mileage is not great since it's a turbo (maybe 16mpg the way I drive) , BUT it goes everywhere, looks great, is fun to drive and comfortable (and has heated seats!). I've got 100k on it so far and have no doubt it'll go another 100 w/o issue.

My next car will be another Subaru Forester, though probably a non-turbo model for better gas mileage.

jeepnphreak

Sep 28, 2011, 5:05 PM
Post #24 of 45 (10461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocker1525 wrote:

You might want to get that wrangler tuned up. 8mpgs is really sad for an 08...anything
Exampes!!!

I have a 1977 1 ton gmc with dual 4 bbl carb and a 454 big block and it get 10-12 mpg.

my 1989 jeep cherokee with 35 in tires inline 6 and 3/4 ton axles with 4.56 gears get 21-22 mpgs.

My wifes 94' wrangler with the 2.5 4 cyl gets 22-23 mpgs.

my four banger civic get 32 in town and 46 hwy....

damienclimber

Sep 28, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #25 of 45 (10422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocker1525 wrote:
I've been climbing for almost 2 years now and have always been into camping but now it's time for a new car, maybe not new, but fairly new. I need something with 4 wheel drive, and a roof rack and that's pretty much it. What do you use? Do you like it? How well does it go into "the back country"? Would you recommend it?

I would recommend you do some of your own research on the type of vehicle you are looking for.
Then go to car dealers like the rest of us, and find a
good deal.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook