RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

timpanogos

Jan 6, 2003, 4:34 AM
Post #1 of 6 (997 views)
Shortcut

Zipping
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I’ve been focusing on solo aid, but also what to be setup, gear and knowledge wise, for partnered ascents. Please give me some suggested systems for zipping/hauling gear. For example:

1. I assume my solo tag rack would still be the center of gear management.

2. What diameter and length of zip line should I have (so this could also be a solo tagging line if desired)?

3. How do you get multiple zips (mid-pitch - give me a few pieces, top of pitch, haul the tag rack)?

Chad

climbhigher

Jan 6, 2003, 9:50 PM
Post #2 of 6 (997 views)
Shortcut

Zipping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep it simple Chad until you have more pitchs under your belt. It sounds like you are tryiing to many things at one time.YOu will figure it out. Take one slice of pie at a time don't take the whole damn pie and ram it down your throat. LOL
CHEERS

timpanogos

Jan 6, 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #3 of 6 (997 views)
Shortcut

Zipping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, but it's like cherry pie! My favorite! What a glutten I am.

LOL

apollodorus

Jan 6, 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #4 of 6 (997 views)
Shortcut

Zipping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't use the solo tag rack when climbing with a belay monkey. All the extra gear stays with him, so he can send up what you want.

You want a 60m zip line, same as your lead rope. 5mm is lighter to take up with you, but 8mm would give you another rope to fix and jug with.

The monkey always keeps one end of the zip line, so the can pull the slack back in and send up more stuff later. If you get more than 30m up, the monkey clips the haul line (with a locker) to the zip line to effectively lengthen it to 120m.

Instead of just dropping the slack after pulling up the gear, have the monkey pull the rope back in while you control it. That way, it doesn't get stuck behind flakes.

timpanogos

Jan 6, 2003, 11:59 PM
Post #5 of 6 (997 views)
Shortcut

Zipping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, trying to ascend an 8mm with my tibloc sounds scary! And is a 4mm ok for a prusik on that?

Just kidding - Petzl Ascension, Basic and/or Croll will safely jug a 8mm?

What kind of rappel device do I want to use on an 8mm? Automatically use two lockers? any other advice on providing a bit more traction on a skinny little rope when going down? I'm a 186 pounder? Is perlon ok?

Geeze, and the other thread had us nervous about overheating on a haul line!

Chad

atg200

Jan 7, 2003, 12:53 AM
Post #6 of 6 (997 views)
Shortcut

Zipping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can jug an 8mm line, but i avoid it like the plague. Think of the 8mm as more of an emergency line in case you hose your lead line. Perlon prussiks also work fine - mountaineers have been using way skiny ropes and perlon prussiks for years. Just add another wrap if necessary.

When I rap super skinny lines, I use 2 lockers and a prussik backup, and i wear gloves.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook