Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

McMonk

Jan 1, 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #1 of 89 (17071 views)
Shortcut

Strict Gym Rules?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's a long post, and I understand if you guys don't want to read the whole thing. For those who do, thank you for the time.

Most of my climbing career has been spent at one gym, and one crag. So I figured that I would broaden my horizons and check out another gym by me. Now before I go into this story let me just state:
- I have been *seriously* climbing for 2 years.
- I have experience setting up outdoor TR anchors
- I have lead climbing experience of a solid 5.7 and decent 5.8/9
- I have worked at a Boy Scout camp as climbing staff
- I'm young, only 16 years old. :: Edit: Included to account for possible "This kid isn't capable of tying his own shoes" attitude. As noticed below from marc.

SO I'm not completely clueless.

I went to the gym and everything started out fine and dandy, then they asked that we (my partner and I) meet with a staff member for a belay test. I suspect it should be a snap. They don't allow you to use your own hardware here, as they have a ground anchor (daisy chain), screw gate carabiner, and BD ATC at each TR station. Okay I tell myself, no big deal. I begin my test, and pass with flying colors. As I'm doing what the staff member asks, I talk with him about his climbing experience (just to make small talk). He is new climber, with no outdoor, or lead experience. The final task was to tie in as a climber. Easy peasy right? I tie in, and I have the "fist" of tail after my figure eight, but not quite enough to tie a fisherman's knot as a back up.

He says "We require the backup knot here." I quickly correct it and tie a fisherman's knot as a back up.

He then said "We require that you use a double fisherman's knot here." I sigh, and re-tie it with a double fisherman's. Then he says "Well that's correct, but I could critique the figure of eight if I wanted to." I look back at my knot, did I really mess it up? No. It was correct. I asked him what was wrong with it and he grabs the knot, flips a section over another, making a cosmetic change. Then he asked me "What are THE commands?" I say:
Pre-Climb:
On belay? :: Belay is on
Permission to climb :: Climb away
Climbing ::
For Decent:
"I use:"
Aqui (Here) - To belayer, stating climber is ready to come down
Listo (Ready)- To climber, stating belayer is ready for the climber to come down

I use Spanish for lowering because it helps avoid confusion with other climbers. He said no. That I need to use "Take" and "I got you."

So those were the rules at the gym. What do you guys think? Strict? Average?

-MM

(This post was edited by McMonk on Jan 2, 2012, 12:03 AM)

marc801

Jan 1, 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #2 of 89 (17054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [McMonk] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

McMonk wrote:
It's a long post, and I understand if you guys don't want to read the whole thing. For those who do, thank you for the time.

Most of my climbing career has been spent at one gym, and one crag. So I figured that I would broaden my horizons and check out another gym by me. Now before I go into this story let me just state:
- I'm young, only 16 years old.

I went to the gym and everything started out fine and dandy, then they asked that we (my partner and I) meet with a staff member for a belay test. I suspect it should be a snap. They don't allow you to use your own hardware here, as they have a ground anchor (daisy chain), screw gate carabiner, and BD ATC at each TR station. Okay I tell myself, no big deal. I begin my test, and pass with flying colors. As I'm doing what the staff member asks, I talk with him about his climbing experience (just to make small talk). He is new climber, with no outdoor, or lead experience. The final task was to tie in as a climber. Easy peasy right? I tie in, and I have the "fist" of tail after my figure eight, but not quite enough to tie a fisherman's knot as a back up.

He says "We require the backup knot here." I quickly correct it and tie a fisherman's knot as a back up.

He then said "We require that you use a double fisherman's knot here." I sigh, and re-tie it with a double fisherman's. Then he says "Well that's correct, but I could critique the figure of eight if I wanted to." I look back at my knot, did I really mess it up? No. It was correct. I asked him what was wrong with it and he grabs the knot, flips a section over another, making a cosmetic change. Then he asked me "What are THE commands?" I say:
Pre-Climb:
For Decent:
Listo (Ready)- To climber, stating belayer is ready for the climber to come down

I use Spanish for lowering because it helps avoid confusion with other climbers. He said no. That I need to use "Take" and "I got you."

Of the two bolded statements, the first negates the second.
Suck it up and deal with the rules. They are established by a conversation between the owner(s) and their insurance company.

McMonk

Jan 1, 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #3 of 89 (17047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Suck it up and deal with the rules. They are established by a conversation between the owner(s) and their insurance company.

Valid point. I know to suck it up. In fact, the rest of the day went rather well, the purpose of this was to try and see if people think this is strict in comparison to what they have experienced.

Edit: I'm 16, yes. However, I ask that you give me the benefit of the doubt in that I'm a little bit smarter than the average teen. I'm currently on the track to receiving an associates degree one semester after graduating from high school.

(This post was edited by McMonk on Jan 1, 2012, 11:48 PM)

marc801

Jan 2, 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #4 of 89 (17018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

McMonk wrote:
Valid point. I know to suck it up. In fact, the rest of the day went rather well, the purpose of this was to try and see if people think this is strict in comparison to what they have experienced.
There are seemingly arbitrary rules at many if not most gyms - sometimes similar, sometimes different. What you encountered doesn't seem particularly out of line, other than perhaps the employee giving you the belay test was a bit of a prick on a power trip.

McMonk wrote:
Edit: I'm 16, yes. However, I ask that you give me the benefit of the doubt in that I'm a little bit smarter than the average teen. I'm currently on the track to receiving an associates degree one semester after graduating from high school.
I don't doubt you're smart. The cluelessness comes from a lack of experience in how the world works - you simply haven't put in enough life time yet. In a mere 5 years you'll be surprised if not shocked at what you thought you knew!

Express

Jan 2, 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #5 of 89 (17010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Better get used to it. I've been to probably 5 or 6 different gyms at this point, and each one has their little irksome things with belay tests. One gym allowed no Gri-Gri's, another allowed ONLY Gri-Gri's, one gym required slide-slide method when belaying with ATC, another required you to use hand-over-hand with ATC. Some require double fisherman's, others allow yosemite follow-through for your backup.

The best thing to do is find out ahead of time what the local requirements will be and do exactly what is required there. The main thing I don't like is having to pay for a test at every new gym I go to. Going through the motions is actually a good thing to keep you sharp, but for an experienced climber to have to pay for it every time you visit a new gym is just weak, IMO.

Just keep in mind that the employee is just trying to do his job as best as he knows how, and it is his job to assume that you do not know anything. The most dangerous element in the gyms is overconfident folk who think they know what they are doing, and this is basically their best chance to catch those folks and course-correct before anyone gets hurt.

HTH

McMonk

Jan 2, 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #6 of 89 (17008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah. Thank you for clarifying. I misinterpreted what you had originally meant. I have no doubt that I have plenty more to learn. Additionally, thank you for your input.

McMonk

Jan 2, 2012, 1:02 AM
Post #7 of 89 (17004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Express] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Express wrote:
The most dangerous element in the gyms is overconfident folk who think they know what they are doing, and this is basically their best chance to catch those folks and course-correct before anyone gets hurt.

HTH

True, true. Well put

rtwilli4

Jan 2, 2012, 1:07 AM
Post #8 of 89 (17001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All gyms are different. The gym I used to go to in NC tested you if you wanted to lead climb, but not if you wanted to TR. Weird, because a bad belayer can drop someone in either circumstance.

Also, they never tested me because they know me. I've never climbed with any of the staff or owners - they just know me through friends and whatnot. But that was enough to let it slide I guess.

One of gyms I climb at in London doesn't test anyone for anything. The other gym I climb at in London makes you belay, catch a TR fall, lower and tie in with a fig 8 before you can even set foot in the gym. If you are going with a friend who has already been certified, you can go as their guest but they stamp your hand NOVICE.

There are a lot of people working at climbing gyms that don't know much about climbing. Many of then have never climbed outside. The second London gym - when I was working in Thailand (before I had ever climbed at the gym), one of their employees was on holiday and hired me to teach him how to climb multi-pitch. I thought it was a bit strange when he told me that he was working at a gym (as an instructor no less).

Sounds like you just got an extra enthusiastic dude to test you. That, and he probably doesn't know much about climbing so he is making sure to do everything EXACTLY as he was taught - can't fault him for that.

Just follow the rules and try not to be rude.

BTW I like the Spanish idea. And I can't imagine that they will come and kick you out if you use Spanish commands. That would be discriminatory.

acorneau

Jan 2, 2012, 1:57 AM
Post #9 of 89 (16983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
All gyms are different.

...There are a lot of people working at climbing gyms that don't know much about climbing.

... That, and he probably doesn't know much about climbing so he is making sure to do everything EXACTLY as he was taught - can't fault him for that.

Just follow the rules and try not to be rude.

All true.

I work in a gym (setting) and have been to multiple gyms in other cities/states. There are many folks working in gyms that are just "following directions" and don't really know squat outside the gym.

Don't worry about it, just do as they ask, and get your climbing in.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Jan 2, 2012, 1:57 PM)

notapplicable

Jan 2, 2012, 3:07 AM
Post #10 of 89 (16952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That pretty much sounds like the SOP for gyms I've climbed at on the east coast.

I have found that once you become something of a "regular", you can get away with ignoring a lot of the basic gym rules. Just get to know the staff a bit and show them you aren't dangerous and you should be able to fly under the radar.

shockabuku

Jan 2, 2012, 3:55 AM
Post #11 of 89 (16928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Typical. Some gyms are progressive enough to be flexible, most are flexible once they realize you're not an idiot who will probably cause them a lawsuit, and some are staffed and/or run by people who are paranoid and inflexible. Pass the test, observe what happens around you, and you'll probably realize that no one is paying attention once you get past the "gate".

guangzhou

Jan 2, 2012, 4:55 AM
Post #12 of 89 (16907 views)
Shortcut

Re: Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't seem overly strict. You did a couple of things differently from what they expected, he corrected you and had you adjust to what is expected in that facility.

Strict would would be, we require a double fisherman here, you fail.

You knot isn't dressed! you fail.

Universal command should be done in English, you fail.

Bottom line, you are new to a new facility and no-one there knows you. The gym should be cautions, once they say you've passed the test, they are telling all their members you are good enough to belay them.

From your post, you also seem to come across as a bit arrogant, maybe the gym staff who tested you caught some of your attitude and decided to give it back.

Cheers
Eman

superchuffer

Jan 2, 2012, 2:15 PM
Post #13 of 89 (16846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

until a national standard is set, you just have to deal with it. the gym in albuquerque doesn't allow headphones. seriously. they say it is safety, but they really just have control issues.

Partner j_ung

Jan 2, 2012, 4:00 PM
Post #14 of 89 (16817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

McMonk wrote:
marc801 wrote:

You write better than most adults I know, which gives you a leg up in my book.

I've managed three different climbing gyms and climbed at countless others. What I've learned in that time is that the ownership has the prerogative to exert a bizarre amount of control over the environment. Unfortunately, many choose to do so. Your best bet when taking a belay test at any new gym is to ask—before beginning the test—what are the criteria for passing.

It sounds like you're on the right track with the suck-it-up attitude. Your only other choice is not to climb there. But for the record, I agree that their rules are stupidly strict, apparently with little regard for the judgment of climbers. (I also wholly disagree with mandating a specific belay device.) Is it possible to just suck it up for the test, and then revert to your own system once the staff isn't breathing down your neck?

cclarke

Jan 2, 2012, 5:52 PM
Post #15 of 89 (16781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once brought a friend of mine to the local gym. He's an accomplished climber. In fact, there was an article about him in the then-current Rock & Ice. At that time, he frequently rope-soloed long 5.12 trad routes in winter.

The gym employee, who may or may not have ever climbed outside, failed him on his belay test for pretty vague reasons.

We had a good laugh about that one.

NorCaNomad

Jan 2, 2012, 6:06 PM
Post #16 of 89 (16772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

McMonk wrote:
- I'm young, only 16 years old. :: Edit: Included to account for possible "This kid isn't capable of tying his own shoes" attitude. As noticed below from marc.

Just roll with it man.

Also you weren't climbing staff, you were climbing staff in training since you have to be 18 to be full climbing staff Tongue (Source: me being a National Camp School instructor for climbing)

majid_sabet

Jan 2, 2012, 6:14 PM
Post #17 of 89 (16766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

McMonk wrote:

Pre-Climb:
For Decent:

-MM

I do not know about the gym rules but your resume is outstanding

now put your helmet on

Partner cracklover

Jan 2, 2012, 6:35 PM
Post #18 of 89 (16753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Everyone has a slightly different belay test. Learn all the variations on standard stuff, and you'll be fine. I've never had an issue with my belay test at any gym I've been to.

You want some real entertainment, check out Carabiners in southern MA sometime. They're a hoot!

Here's a few choice snippets from my review of the place:

In reply to:
We arrived with our forms all filled out, ready to take our belay tests and go. Unfortunately, it didn't work out quite like that. Despite the fact that the place was almost entirely empty, it was fully an hour and a half before they were able to give us our lead belay tests and get us on the wall.

<snip>

Here are just a few of the rules:

You must belay with a gri-gri (TR or lead).
The belayer must anchor in (TR or lead).
The belayer's anchor point must not be taut to the floor at any time.
The belay biner must be oriented so the locking sleeve screws *down* rather than *up*.

My partner got two permanent demerits on his membership entered into the computer (I'm not kidding!) for 1 - having his belay biner oriented incorrectly, and 2 - not having enough slack in his anchor line (because he stepped back two feet to get the rope out of my way as I was climbing).

We were not horsing around, or in any other way calling negative attention to ourselves. We just went there to climb. If you have a short fuse, don't even step in the door, it'll be ugly! We just let it roll off us; we were amused.

It's particularly irksome because the worst of the safety police on staff didn't seem to know anything about climbing. For example, I was reprimanded for Z-clipping, when I was doing no such thing - the girl simply had learned the wrong definition of the word.

We did also have a very positive interaction with one of the staff members. The guy who gave us our belay test was knowledgable, friendly, and reasonable. He was also clearly a climber. He even shared an interesting technical tip he'd read about recently for lead belaying with a gri-gri. He was also kind of apologetic about the gym's "issues".

<snipped the rest of review>

You can read my full review here if you're interested.

Cheers,

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Jan 2, 2012, 6:38 PM)

McMonk

Jan 3, 2012, 1:05 AM
Post #19 of 89 (16683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NorCaNomad] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NorCaNomad wrote:
McMonk wrote:

Just roll with it man.

Also you weren't climbing staff, you were climbing staff in training since you have to be 18 to be full climbing staff Tongue (Source: me being a National Camp School instructor for climbing)

Well, I figured for all intents and purposes I would just use with climbing staff. Tongue Then again, the kid working as the office manager DID put the wrong thing on my contract.

EDIT: What year(s) were you the camp school instructor?

(This post was edited by McMonk on Jan 3, 2012, 1:09 AM)

McMonk

Jan 3, 2012, 1:08 AM
Post #20 of 89 (16681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

now put your helmet on

Not sure how to take this. Is this supposed to be sarcastic, therefore insulting me? Or am I supposed to interpret it as I am doing fairly well given my age?

petsfed

Jan 3, 2012, 1:33 AM
Post #21 of 89 (16672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

McMonk wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

now put your helmet on

Not sure how to take this. Is this supposed to be sarcastic, therefore insulting me? Or am I supposed to interpret it as I am doing fairly well given my age?

You're supposed to blow off virtually everything Majid says.

My experience from climbing gyms: every 16 year old, without fail, is an arrogant little prick. The odds of a 16 year old being wrong about anything is pretty much proportional to the amount of experience they claim on the subject. When you work day-in and day-out dealing with that, you learn to just assume the worst, as that way you don't have to watch a bad accident unfold in front of you.

Does that mean I have a bad attitude? Maybe. But I guarantee I'm a hell of a lot more sympathetic to the victims of idiots than to the idiots themselves.

McMonk

Jan 3, 2012, 2:06 AM
Post #22 of 89 (16659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

My experience from climbing gyms: every 16 year old, without fail, is an arrogant little prick. The odds of a 16 year old being wrong about anything is pretty much proportional to the amount of experience they claim on the subject. When you work day-in and day-out dealing with that, you learn to just assume the worst, as that way you don't have to watch a bad accident unfold in front of you.

Does that mean I have a bad attitude? Maybe. But I guarantee I'm a hell of a lot more sympathetic to the victims of idiots than to the idiots themselves.

I appreciate your input, however, your response was a little off topic, as the question is do you think the gym rules were strict in comparison to gyms readers have had experiences at.

At the risk of further derailing the topic: Am I 16? Yes. Am I a prick? Maybe. Am I arrogant? Maybe. Your post was about your experience with 16 year old gym climbers. Implying the same would apply to me (if not, then you were posting a random rant). Therefore, I would say that statement would imply an equally haughty essence as you believe 16 year old individuals have.

(This post was edited by McMonk on Jan 3, 2012, 2:07 AM)

acorneau

Jan 3, 2012, 2:29 AM
Post #23 of 89 (16646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NorCaNomad wrote:

Correction: he was "camp staff" and he was a "climbing instructor in training".

McMonk wrote:
EDIT: What year(s) were you the camp school instructor?

-Climbing Director since '99
-Faculty for C&R Director classes at Philmont's NCS since 2000 (except for '08 and '11).

(edits for clarity/correction)

(This post was edited by acorneau on Jan 3, 2012, 4:20 PM)

guangzhou

Jan 3, 2012, 2:32 AM
Post #24 of 89 (16642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

McMonk wrote:
petsfed wrote:

I appreciate your input, however, your response was a little off topic, as the question is do you think the gym rules were strict in comparison to gyms readers have had experiences at.

At the risk of further derailing the topic: Am I 16? Yes. Am I a prick? Maybe. Am I arrogant? Maybe. Your post was about your experience with 16 year old gym climbers. Implying the same would apply to me (if not, then you were posting a random rant). Therefore, I would say that statement would imply an equally haughty essence as you believe 16 year old individuals have.

I think his answer was spot on and on topic. I also think the belay test should be strict. It's easy to claim experience, but the staff doesn't know you from Adam.

You didn't fail this test, you were critic and told what the gym expectations were several times. You went in thinking your knew something, you never asked the gym what their criteria are.

Arrogant, from this post, I believe you are.
Experienced in climbing, why, because you were a 16 year old on climbing staff at a BSA camp, please. Get over yourself.

As a gym owner, I agree, 16 year old who walk in my facilities talking about all their knowledge are a bigger hazard than the 16 year old who have never touched a climbing rope.

You passed the test, you're upset because you didn't 100% based on the staff critic. Guess what, regardless of finishing you associated degree at 16, you're not perfect.

acorneau

Jan 3, 2012, 2:38 AM
Post #25 of 89 (16639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Strict Gym Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Arrogant, from this post, I believe you are.

Thank you, Yoda.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook