RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

aimeerose

Jan 26, 2012, 4:38 AM
Post #1 of 10 (6489 views)
Shortcut

Pregnant climbing on Good Morning America
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you've got a few minutes, check out my video: http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-26797925/extreme-exercising-of-moms-to-be-27939305.html

And if you feel like reading some crazy comments, check out the ones on: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/20/pregnant-woman-hiker_n_1219190.html

lena_chita

Jan 26, 2012, 4:17 PM
Post #2 of 10 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aimeerose] Pregnant climbing on Good Morning America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

How did you end up in the news in the first place?

Obviously a typical sensationalized "news" reporting trying to get a reaction, and they sure got all the predictable responses!

"Oh, look, a dog and a kitten sharing a bathtub, being super-best-friends! OMG, look, a guy swallowing fire and walking on coals every day before breakfast! Oh, wow, an extreme excercizer pregnant woman, OMG!!!!"

It is fairly predictable, given that most people don't know the difference between mountain climbing and rock climbing, let alone the difference between toproping and soloing...

I thought the funniest one was the comment about your daughter being "dropped" off the cliff on purpose by the father. Poor abused kid! Apparently, swinging is only O.K. on approved playground equipment, never mind the fact that there is a lot more chance of a little kid getting injured when falling off a swing at a playground than there is a chance of her getting injured while wearing a full-body harness and swinging on dynamic rope with nothing but air to hit.

Partner camhead

Jan 27, 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #3 of 10 (6431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Pregnant climbing on Good Morning America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa, the comments, especially on HuffPo, are hilarious!

Not surprising, though. Hell, I remember the mass amount of butthurt that you caused on this site, from other climbers, when you posted the pic of you toproping Mr. Slate!

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 27, 2012, 5:09 AM
Post #4 of 10 (6415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Pregnant climbing on Good Morning America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I watched the first video and did not see it as being "sensationalized." I thought the guy mentioned the various things which made it "not so extreme" as the Huffers were saying.(I assume that video is same as 1st). He also was very good about allowing the woman to be in better shape, less afraid, and more naturally gifted in climbing than "a man." There was no patronizing or minimizing of her skills suggested.

Good for the OP for staying active. As to how she got on the news? Maybe there was a call on some website or show for a general concept which the OP felt she fit into and responded. Nothing strange about that, I don't think.

I got a kick out of her husband's comment about the "dropping off cliff." Yes, that is exactly what happened... hahahah. Also glad that some climbers got on the board and set straight some of the BS comments.

clee03m

Jan 27, 2012, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 10 (6385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, hell, I remember meaner comments than that from climbers on this website when you posted a picture of you leading something suuuper easy for you. I got comments like I shouldn't have kids from other climbers here as well because I chose to lead early in my pregnancies. I even had a (former) climbing partner tell me to cancel a climb I've been planning for weeks because he wouldn't feel comfortable if his future pregnant wife were to climb it due to risk of rock fall. He finished the day by telling me not to get an epidural. So I am not at all surprised at the reaction you got from ignorant general public.

aimeerose

Jan 27, 2012, 7:54 PM
Post #6 of 10 (6365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Pregnant climbing on Good Morning America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, there were some nasty comments for that pic of me on Slate and by fellow climbers, which is the funniest part! I understand the comments by the Huffers because they are just clueless and anonymous. An article came on on Cafe Mom today that really bothers me: http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/132073/rock_climbing_while_pregnant_is#commentForm

The thing about this is the blogger is writing as if she's an expert about exercise and pregnancy and rock climbing when she has no credentials and has obviously never rock climbed before! Makes me so made at Cafe Mom for allowing an article like that to be published. Seems like that site should be supportive not derisive.

BTW, I got the gig because they contacted Mountain Mama about their clothes, so she called me to see if I was interested in helping out with the segment.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 28, 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #7 of 10 (6344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh man... From that article"
In reply to:
I love it when I see a bad-ass pregnant woman. You know the kind I'm talking about. The kind who doesn't put her entire life on hold just because she's carrying a child. She still wears dresses and heels. She still commutes to work every day. And she still spends her weekends doing stuff instead of sprawling out on the couch.

Aimee - once the baby has arrived, I hope you will make a video of you doing a route in a dress and heels - since baddassedness is best sported in them - hahah. Of course, you'll also need a bright red (swami) belt, so plan the outfit accordingly....

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Jan 28, 2012, 3:51 AM)

clee03m

Jan 28, 2012, 1:10 AM
Post #8 of 10 (6336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Pregnant climbing on Good Morning America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Considering other articles from this website includes 'Woman Gives Birth to Twins Naturally, One Year Apart' and 'Mother’s Instinct Saves Baby From Medically Ordered Abortion,' I am not at all surprised that they published this nonsense.

kickasssoprano

Feb 12, 2012, 4:59 PM
Post #9 of 10 (6142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Pregnant climbing on Good Morning America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to jump in and say good luck with your labor! My baby boy was finally born on January 21- He's wonderful :)
Life is a lot more interesting with a baby Cool

smallclimber

Feb 14, 2012, 9:02 PM
Post #10 of 10 (6065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kickasssoprano] Pregnant climbing on Good Morning America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations! Enjoy your time off with him.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook