RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

photocodo

Mar 12, 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1005 views)
Shortcut

The Obed?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This weekend my wife and I are planning on heading up to The Obed to do some climbing. We live in Asheville, NC and have never been to the obed but hear it is a great place. I have a few questions for those who climb there. Are we allowed to camp anywhere in the park? I read somewhere that you can camp as long as you arent too close to the rock, trail or river. Is this true. Also the weather looks like it might be raining Friday and maybe Saturday. I also read that since there are so many big roofs that there are places that you can climb even if its raining. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to climb where we could get out of the rain if it was necessary. We are climbing 5.8ish range and are very excited to see the area. Thanks for the advice in advance.

cody

Tipton

Mar 13, 2012, 4:48 PM
Post #2 of 2 (985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photocodo] The Obed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

See this thread for camping info: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2345012

I think you might run into difficulty finding dry climbs in the 5.8 range. While there are many covered climbs covered by roofs, they also tend to be pretty stout.

Also, occasionally moisture will collect on the cliffline. It isn't really seeping, it's more like condensation. I'm not sure what weather requirements have to happen to make that occur, but I've seen it at Tierrany before.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook