Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Red Rocks Group Therapy
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gypsy

Jan 8, 2003, 7:06 PM
Post #1 of 4 (980 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks Group Therapy  (North_America: Canada: Quebec: Laurentians: Montagne_D_Argent: M___M)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, anyone here done the climb Group Therapy at Red Rocks? If so, where did you go after the 4th pitch (which ended sitting on a ledge with some brush, looking up at a roof about 75 feet up)? Which side of the ledge did you start climbing on, what level difficulty did you find it, and which side of the roof did you go around (or did you go up and over)? My partner and I attempted this climb last week, which was labled as a 5.7, but got to that point and could not figure out a 5.7 level direction to go and had to rap down (we're just getting into multi-pitch climbing and thought this would be a good one to try).

boltdude

Jan 8, 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #2 of 4 (978 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks Group Therapy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb straight up the gully/chimney above the ledge (not out right); this is about 5.4 with poor pro. Then go straight out the middle of the roof on jugs inside the chimney (don't bring a backpack!). Easy but scary; the more large pro you have the better. Continue stemming up past the ow/chimney above until you get into an alcove, which is about 180' from the bushy ledge. Not the greatest pro in the alcove; tri-cams are helpful. The 5.8 variation on the last pitch is excellent.

vegastradguy

Jan 8, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #3 of 4 (978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

According to the topo, follow the left facing corner up and over the roof. Goes 5.7 for 80 feet up to the roof, over it and continue up another 70 feet to belay.

I've climbed Tunnel, which is next to it, and it looks good, nicely exposed too. I've heard that the roof is fun, albeit a little scary.

gypsy

Jan 9, 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #4 of 4 (978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, boltdude, I'm now very glad we didn't finsih it, we definately do not have enough large gear for that part of the climb. Maybe we'll go back someday when we do, we were looking forward to the 5.8 variation!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook