Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
Weekend Warrior
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

Jun 23, 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #1001 of 1159 (13300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
It finally happened!!!

I lead my first Gunks 10. Woo hoo!!!

parabens Gail! Which one?

losbill

Jun 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
Post #1002 of 1159 (13299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Don! Good karma! You got out met some new friends, got some climbing in and did some public service. Sounds like a great day to me!

losbill

Jun 23, 2012, 11:42 PM
Post #1003 of 1159 (13298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good deal Jake! Great pics! Have planned on doing Moriah south and over all the Carters, A, B, C, D, E .... and down to the notch, with one night over for awhile now. Just haven't yet gotten it done. This climbing thing keeps getting in the way. May have to strap skis to the pack and get it done in the winter.

losbill

Jun 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #1004 of 1159 (13297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LIM -- Nice report! Roger's Rock is a hoot! Any crag you have to canoe to definitely rates up there! It is pretty cool to look down and see all the boats anchored while the occupants enjoy the antics of the climbers. BTW what is the brand of you harness? Seems to me the gear loops ought to be just a bit stronger!

losbill

Jun 24, 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #1005 of 1159 (13295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes Dip, don't know where to begin! Quite the account! Good job on Rapscallion! It is a head game we play! Seems you are climbing hard. Must have been all that bouldering your have been doing! Was the bat making noises? I was following a climb and the leader told me to watch out since the flake he had jammed a big cam in was occupied by a now trapped bat. I got up the cam and the bat was really going off with this chattering, growling kind of noise. I was freaked. I pictured that just as I pulled the cam the bat would come out, go right for my throat and rip it out just like something from a Monty Python movie. Or at least tear off an arm or leg or something. I got up to the cam, unclipped it and climbed well above it all the while the bat was chattering up a storm! Reached down and removed the cam and scampered up the climb. All the while my buddy was laughing his butt off! The bat? He just flew off!

Under the mistaken route category, I was belaying a buddy on Higher Stannard at the Gunks last weekend, and we start up at the same time a party starts up Birdie Party (5.10b). I have followed the first pitch (5.8+) but have not done the second. They get the first pitch done, switch leads and up goes the leader. He traverse right, then up and protects the roof. He goes up, thrashes around above the roof for a hold and then down climbs. Up again, cuts the feet free, heel hooks left, locks off right and goes for a hold with the left. Not happening. Backs off and takes the hang. Eventually takes a pretty good whip and then finally makes it over. I'm thinking "A 10.b roof where you have to cut the feet free and heel hook?" My partner brings me up and I have a chance to converse with the leader of the other party. "Good job! Looked pretty stout for a 10.b" I say, meaning "Dude I think you were off route!" He responds "Aah! It was just a long reach." Meaning "No way I was off route. That just doesn't happen to me." Subsequently I check the guide book and he had done the second pitch of Interstice at 5.10d not the 5.10b second pitch of Birdie Party! -- Bill

jakedatc

Jun 24, 2012, 2:28 AM
Post #1006 of 1159 (13282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Good deal Jake! Great pics! Have planned on doing Moriah south and over all the Carters, A, B, C, D, E .... and down to the notch, with one night over for awhile now. Just haven't yet gotten it done. This climbing thing keeps getting in the way. May have to strap skis to the pack and get it done in the winter.

be sure they can be put in alpine or Tele mode.. going down Moriah's south side slabs could be interesting. there is also a chimney/notch thing right off the peak that would be an interesting downclimb in winter. going down WCat E is also pretty steep. i think northbound is easier for all of them. long first day but i was done by 5pm

i can't wait for LT.. i've never hiked in vermont... only skied so it'll be fun going over mtns ive skied on

gblauer

Jun 24, 2012, 3:51 AM
Post #1007 of 1159 (13275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I lead Sphlastic, it's a 10a near Gorilla My Dreams. It's a nice face climb. I am very excited, this has been a goal for me.

Gmburns2000

Jun 24, 2012, 3:49 PM
Post #1008 of 1159 (13254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
I lead Sphlastic, it's a 10a near Gorilla My Dreams. It's a nice face climb. I am very excited, this has been a goal for me.

That's great Gail, congrats again. I know that climb. I looked at it when I did Gorilla My Dreams, which is one of my favorite climbs there.

Well done!

Dip

Jun 24, 2012, 4:04 PM
Post #1009 of 1159 (13251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Yikes Dip, don't know where to begin! Quite the account! Good job on Rapscallion! It is a head game we play! Seems you are climbing hard. Must have been all that bouldering your have been doing! Was the bat making noises? I was following a climb and the leader told me to watch out since the flake he had jammed a big cam in was occupied by a now trapped bat. I got up the cam and the bat was really going off with this chattering, growling kind of noise. I was freaked. I pictured that just as I pulled the cam the bat would come out, go right for my throat and rip it out just like something from a Monty Python movie. Or at least tear off an arm or leg or something. I got up to the cam, unclipped it and climbed well above it all the while the bat was chattering up a storm! Reached down and removed the cam and scampered up the climb. All the while my buddy was laughing his butt off! The bat? He just flew off!

Under the mistaken route category, I was belaying a buddy on Higher Stannard at the Gunks last weekend, and we start up at the same time a party starts up Birdie Party (5.10b). I have followed the first pitch (5.8+) but have not done the second. They get the first pitch done, switch leads and up goes the leader. He traverse right, then up and protects the roof. He goes up, thrashes around above the roof for a hold and then down climbs. Up again, cuts the feet free, heel hooks left, locks off right and goes for a hold with the left. Not happening. Backs off and takes the hang. Eventually takes a pretty good whip and then finally makes it over. I'm thinking "A 10.b roof where you have to cut the feet free and heel hook?" My partner brings me up and I have a chance to converse with the leader of the other party. "Good job! Looked pretty stout for a 10.b" I say, meaning "Dude I think you were off route!" He responds "Aah! It was just a long reach." Meaning "No way I was off route. That just doesn't happen to me." Subsequently I check the guide book and he had done the second pitch of Interstice at 5.10d not the 5.10b second pitch of Birdie Party! -- Bill

Thankfully the bat did not make any noise. I'm not sure I would've reacted so well to that. Fortunately my partner's an idiot who loves bats, snakes, and anything creepy crawly (except spiders, which makes for a good time) so he had no problem pulling the cam and having a nice little conversation with my fuzzy friend.

I'm going to be at the Gunks this coming weekend both days. Anyone else? Would be kinda cool to meet you folks.

gblauer

Jun 25, 2012, 1:31 AM
Post #1010 of 1159 (13232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip...do you need a partner?

Dip

Jun 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #1011 of 1159 (13200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Dip...do you need a partner?

I can't say for sure and I wouldn't want anyone to commit in case I don't. Basically the guy who's supposed to ride up with me isn't the most reliable person in the world. He says he's going but there are five whole days left for him to bail. Hope he goes for no other reason than splitting the cost of gas but I plan on driving up either way. Havent been there since April.

donald949

Jun 25, 2012, 4:25 PM
Post #1012 of 1159 (13176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Hey Don! Good karma! You got out met some new friends, got some climbing in and did some public service. Sounds like a great day to me!
Thanks for the good word.
I figured it was on me. Since I relocated the two hangers off the one route to the anchor to make the routes climbable, I should replace them to restore the route. Also, I've climbed on it, and lots of others in the area. So I was due to contribute. The only other route maintenance I've had to do is adding a quicklink.
But getting the gear was a mini epic in itself. Being Memorial day I guess the owners were out doing some cool. The young lady running the store had to goto Bing Images to figure out what a hanger was. Then I asked her about nuts, washers, quick links, and rap rings. Well they did have one QL in stock, that she could find in the mess of the stores drawers. But it was some skinny light weight thing with a $25 price tag on it. It don't know what its purpose is, but it isn't for rapping off of. Then the hangers didn't have a price tag on them, so she had to call the owners to figure out what to charge me.
Anyrate, she was helpfull and freindly, but apparently new. The small hardware store next store had the QL's and nuts and washers. So I was all set anyway.

gblauer

Jun 25, 2012, 8:36 PM
Post #1013 of 1159 (13152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great Sadness

It's with great sadness that I report that my friend Chris Sadlej died while climbing in Poland on Saturday.

I met Chris last spring. He was doing a Post Doc at Princeton and he posted for partners. Luckily, Chris responded to my note and we became Summer of 2011 climbing partners. I introduced him to many of my (stronger) climbing buddies and he enjoyed a great season of climbing in the US. So much so , that he really didn't want to go back to Poland. Alas, he had two young daughters and a girlfriend waiting for him in Poland. We maintained our friendship through the winter and he was planning to come back to the gunks this summer. Sadly, it is not to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Chris; not only as a climbing partner but as a friend. He pushed me on the cliff as a climber, and he pushed my intellect while on the ground. He was a rare treasure who I will surely miss. I can remember a magical day at Bonticue; we climbed a bit, but, it was too hot to keep going. The sun was beating down and Julia, John, Ernesto, Chris and I were all laying out (I was in a hole, out of the sun) waiting for the sun to set. From each of our vantage points, we just talked all afternoon, all of us. we discussed climbing, life, travel, dreams and hopes. It was a day like no other; me the oldest one of the group, surrounded by such young, lively energy.

I will miss Chris very much. I will cherish the memories and be forever grateful for the moment in time that he entered my life.

Here is the article (translated) that was posted about Chris.

Yesterday afternoon, while climbing on Zamarla Turnia our colleague and friend, the great mountaineer and climber - Chris Sadlej was killed.
Chris was climbing for more than a dozen years in the Tatry, the Alps, the Dolomites, and in the U.S. , He went on expeditions to Asia and South America. His accomplishments place him in the forefront of Polish climbers of the last decade, often, seeking challenges outside the mainstream. He was an effective and well-ordered. But above all, Chris was well liked, a devoted colleague and friend. I know that his presence and actions helped many people. He was an inspiration for many young people. His passion for the mountains has infected many. He was a mentor for many people during their first mountain climbing tours. He took great pictures and he was also great writer. He was a member of the University Mountaineering Club since its beginnings. In his private life - a physicist, a scientist, he worked in Poland and abroad, with great accomplishments. He left behind two young children. Family, relatives, friends and colleagues offer their sincerest condolences. On behalf of the relatives and friends of Chris, please respect the seriousness of the situation, especially on the internet.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Jun 27, 2012, 2:28 AM)

Gmburns2000

Jun 25, 2012, 9:45 PM
Post #1014 of 1159 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Great Sadness

It's with great sadness that I report that my friend Chris Sadlej died while climbing in Poland on Saturday.

I met Chris last spring. He was doing a Post Doc at Princeton and he posted for partners. Luckily, Chris responded to my note and we became Summer of 2011 climbing partners. I introduced him to many of my (stronger) climbing buddies and he enjoyed a great season of climbing in the US. So much so , that he really didn't want to go back to Poland. Alas, he had two young daughters and a girlfriend waiting for him in Poland. We maintained our friendship through the winter and he was planning to come back to the gunks this summer. Sadly, it is not to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Chris; not only as a climbing partner but as a friend. He pushed me on the cliff as a climber, and he pushed my intellect while on the ground. He was a rare treasure who I will surely miss. I can remember a magical day at Bonticue; we climbed a bit, but, it was too hot to keep going. The sun was beating down and Julia, John, Ernesto, Chris and I were all laying out (I was in a hole, out of the sun) waiting for the sun to set. From each of our vantage points, we just talked all afternoon, all of us. we discussed climbing, life, travel, dreams and hopes. It was a day like no other; me the oldest one of the group, surrounded by such young, lively energy.

I will miss Chris very much. I will cherish the memories and be forever grateful for the moment in time that he entered my life.

Here is the article (translated) that was posted about Chris.

Yesterday afternoon, while climbing on Zamarla Turnia our colleague and friend, the great mountaineer and climber - Chris Sadlej was killed.
Chris was climbing for more than a dozen years in the Tatry, the Alps, the Dolomites, and in the U.S. , He went on expeditions to Asia and South America. His accomplishments place him in the forefront of Polish climbers of the last decade, often, seeking challenges outside the mainstream. He was an effective and well-ordered. But above all, Chris was well liked, a devoted colleague and friend. I know that his presence and actions helped many people. He was an inspiration for many young people. His passion for the mountains has infected many. He was a mentor for many people during their first mountain climbing tours. He took great pictures and he was also great writer. He was a member of the University Mountaineering Club since its beginnings. In his private life - a physicist, a scientist, he worked in Poland and abroad, with great accomplishments. He left behind two young children. Family, relatives, friends and colleagues offer their sincerest condolences. On behalf of the relatives and friends of Chris, please respect the seriousness of the situation, especially on the internet.

So sad. Sorry to hear this Gail. Climb one for him if you can.

losbill

Jun 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #1015 of 1159 (13137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I regret I did not have the chance to climb and speak with Chris. Clearly he was a very special individual. My condolences to his family and to all those who knew him.

gblauer

Jun 29, 2012, 8:23 PM
Post #1016 of 1159 (13040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Bill. I really miss him.

Exhaustion leads to an epic fail
I have been going non stop for weeks and weeks and weeks. Work, climbing, training, travel for work, the new house have all contributed to my current state of exhaustion. Every joint and muscle in my body is screaming at me.

We had a thunderstorm at 4AM this morning, by the time the alarm went off at 550, the roads, my deck etc were soaking wet. I called Seth and asked if he still wanted to go out at 630AM, he confirmed: "we can always top rope something".

We started on the Brat which was remarkably dry. Not totally dry, but, dry enough for Seth to agree to the lead. (I hate leading on wet rock. Most of my trad lead falls have been due to wet rock.) Seth hemmed and hawed at the crux and then at the moves above the crux; the rock was slimy and insecure. I could not blame him in the slightest. We top roped the other variations and decided to walk in to clmib Jim's Gem and all of those climbs on that face. We started with the Last will be First; a super pleasant 6 with nice movement. Very long climb to the GT ledge. It deposits you right at the base of Jim's Gem. Looking up, I was very tempted to lead P2. Looked big and blocky from the ledge. In hindsight I am glad that Seth took the lead. I am so exhausted, every move felt like a huge commitment. I just didn't feel like moving. Once through the crux, the climb eases way off and it's a romp to the top. We rapped and decided to do Modern Times.

I knew I was tired, but, I follow plenty of 10's when I am tired. I figured I would muscle through and finish up for the day. Well, I got to the start of the roof moves, was too tired to reach the jug and decided to let go. Woo hoo, what a HUGE swing into nothing. It's rather exciting! I looked up to make sure that the rock wasn't sawing at the rope. Satisfied that I was safe, I set up my prussiks and ascended the rope to the ledge. I am so glad that I practiced prussiking the other day. It was easy peasy and fun to do in a real situation where lowering is the only option. I was pretty quick, but I have to make some adjustments to my technique. My foot loop kept slipping under load. I constantly had to adjust the prussik to get it to bite.

it is UBER hot today and Seth's wife was back at the rental with the kids. SO...we called it a day.

I am seeking redemption...Anyone who needs a second on Modern Times, let me know. Otherwise I gues I will have to lead it.

I am exhausted and I am about to head out to my hammock in the back yard. Seth and I are climbing tomorrow at 6AM so that he can spend the afternoon with his wife and kids. I am going to forgo the fireworks at Bear Mountain tonight and turn in early so that I can climb a bit stronger than I climbed today.

Redemption awaits.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Jun 29, 2012, 8:24 PM)

LostinMaine

Jun 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #1017 of 1159 (13029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
LIM -- Nice report! Roger's Rock is a hoot! Any crag you have to canoe to definitely rates up there! It is pretty cool to look down and see all the boats anchored while the occupants enjoy the antics of the climbers. BTW what is the brand of you harness? Seems to me the gear loops ought to be just a bit stronger!

The harness is a Singing Rock. Guess it's back to my Petzl again...

gblauer

Jun 30, 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #1018 of 1159 (12987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No redemption today.

#1: I did not get any rest overnight.
#2: We started at 6AM, and refer to #1
#3: It was soooo hot

I had fun, but, it was a waste of a day climbing wise. I was just too beat to climb.

I did enjoyed Blistered Toe, it's a super climb. Direct start is burly. We tried to do Simple Stuff, but, Seth wasn't feeling it. It looks uber intimidating. I sure didn't blame him for taking a "pass". Double Crack felt hard at the crux and it just keeps going and going. The heat coupled with my exhaustion made it a long slog.

If you rap off Double Crack on the lower tree, make sure you have 70M rope. Even with the 70 you will have to rap off the end of your ropes to hit the ground (at least this 110 pounder did). Also, hang on to you rope, otherwise it will recoil and you will not be able to grab the ends.

Rest, rest and more rest. That's my plan for the next couple of days. I hope to do some sport climbing on Weds and then head back up to the gunks on Thursday.

Gmburns2000

Jun 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #1019 of 1159 (12986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:

If you rap off Double Crack on the lower tree, make sure you have 70M rope. Even with the 70 you will have to rap off the end of your ropes to hit the ground (at least this 110 pounder did). Also, hang on to you rope, otherwise it will recoil and you will not be able to grab the ends.

you can't rap uphill? so to speak

gblauer

Jun 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
Post #1020 of 1159 (12984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

we rapped down to the tree at the end of "Uphill all the way". Then used the 70M to get to the ground. I should have moved right as I rapped and ended up being too far away from the hill. I had to rap off the end of the ropes to get to the ground.

Gmburns2000

Jun 30, 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #1021 of 1159 (12982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
we rapped down to the tree at the end of "Uphill all the way". Then used the 70M to get to the ground. I should have moved right as I rapped and ended up being too far away from the hill. I had to rap off the end of the ropes to get to the ground.

maybe we used doubles. i can't remember now.

jakedatc

Jul 2, 2012, 1:48 AM
Post #1022 of 1159 (12924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Bill, Did the full Presi traverse saturday.. appalachia to webster trailhead.. 24mi, 9000' elevation, 11 peaks. long enough yet? ;)

perfect weather for it too.. great views the whole way

token Washington windy picture.. (5th summit of the day)

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Jul 2, 2012, 3:09 AM)

gblauer

Jul 2, 2012, 2:53 AM
Post #1023 of 1159 (12921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, sounds too intense for me. I stayed on the couch most of the day...other than my 90 minute massage!

I traversed my house a couple of times...

(This post was edited by gblauer on Jul 2, 2012, 11:38 AM)

losbill

Jul 2, 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #1024 of 1159 (12884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Mini slab epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! Great job Jake! Yeah it definitely rates as a big day! A very big day. Looks like you had a good weather day with the exception of the wind. Was it blowing all the time when you were exposed or just on top of Mount Washington?

I have yet to do it. If Joel ever comes back to the States I will go up with him and get it done.

jakedatc

Jul 2, 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #1025 of 1159 (12879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Wow! Great job Jake! Yeah it definitely rates as a big day! A very big day. Looks like you had a good weather day with the exception of the wind. Was it blowing all the time when you were exposed or just on top of Mount Washington?

I have yet to do it. If Joel ever comes back to the States I will go up with him and get it done.

it was comfortably breezy for a lot of it.. going up and down washington were windy.. going down was the worst of it. was only 50F on top so that wasn't bad at all. 50mph steady with at least 65 gusts.. i think it was higher when we went back outside after our break

oh and my friend and I climbed at rumney friday for a half day and sunday for a half day. the river was awesome yesterday before we went home.

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Jul 2, 2012, 12:18 PM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook