RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

soulbabel

Mar 13, 2013, 3:04 PM
Post #1 of 6 (4169 views)
Shortcut

Looking for first timer advice climbing natural sites
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning on making the transition from gym climbing to natural sites, and my friend recommended I climb at Seneca Rocks. I had a few questions and would appreciate any additional helpful advice?

I plan on climbing next weekend (March 23), and I am expecting it to be cold. Will I need to get a larger harness so I can fit layers underneath? Any suggestions on how to layer for climbing, or is it no different than layering for hiking? Is senecarocks.com the only place to find a climbing guide for this area?

Thanks, and any other suggestions on what I should consider would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately I am training to climb with a guide on Independence Monument in Grand Junction, and I'd like to do what I can to prepare for that.

Kartessa

Mar 13, 2013, 3:27 PM
Post #2 of 6 (4153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soulbabel] Looking for first timer advice climbing natural sites [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

soulbabel wrote:
I'm planning on making the transition from gym climbing to natural sites, and my friend recommended I climb at Seneca Rocks. I had a few questions and would appreciate any additional helpful advice?

I plan on climbing next weekend (March 23), and I am expecting it to be cold. Will I need to get a larger harness so I can fit layers underneath? Any suggestions on how to layer for climbing, or is it no different than layering for hiking? Is senecarocks.com the only place to find a climbing guide for this area?

Thanks, and any other suggestions on what I should consider would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately I am training to climb with a guide on Independence Monument in Grand Junction, and I'd like to do what I can to prepare for that.

Baselayer, Mid Layer, Outter Layer seems to work for me if I'm taking layering seriously. Unless you have a ton of really bulky layers and your harness is on the tight/small side to begin with, you're not going to need a new one.

Otherwise, It's whatever I climb in, plus a big-ass puffy jacket for while I'm on the ground.

I would be more concerned about totally numb/screaming pain on the fingers if the rock is cold though.

(This post was edited by Kartessa on Mar 13, 2013, 3:28 PM)

JonnieBlaze

Mar 13, 2013, 4:56 PM
Post #3 of 6 (4109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soulbabel] Looking for first timer advice climbing natural sites [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

another guide service/climbing school at seneca: http://www.climbseneca.com/...site/index/home.html

dagibbs

Mar 13, 2013, 8:44 PM
Post #4 of 6 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

soulbabel wrote:

For Seneca Rocks, are you climbing with a more experienced climber or guide? It is, generally, a trad-climbing destination, and if you are just transitioning from the gym, that is not the place to go if you are not experienced, and not with an experienced climbing partner.

Otherwise, layering, yup. To some extent, you can put your heavier outer layers for your upper body over the harness, rather than under, which may reduce the need for a larger one. It comes down to how adjustable, and how snug, your current one is. If it is a harness with fixed-size leg loops and they are fairly snug, or the waist is near to the full limits of its adjustment as you wear it indoors (or both), you will probably need a new harness. Otherwise, nope. (Ok, also, if your existing harness has one or no gear loops, you will also probably want/need a new harness.)

tomcecil

Mar 13, 2013, 9:28 PM
Post #5 of 6 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Soulbabe
Seneca is the perfect place to start a transition to outdoor climbing, the weather is hard to predict especially this time of year but if its windy and cool you can usually climb on the back ( east) side in the morning and switch to the front (west) around 2pm when the sun comes around--
lots of layers and wind protection is most important-
Climbing is way more of an adventure at Seneca, don't hesitate to call if you have questions
TC

billl7

Mar 14, 2013, 3:31 AM
Post #6 of 6 (4000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any suggestions on how to layer for climbing, or is it no different than layering for hiking?

Kind of similar. Differences I can think of ...

With climbing I tend to prefer a shell with a short waist that doesn't cover up the harness: easier to check the tie-in or clip/unclip gear to/from the gear loops.

Since I usually wear a helmet outside, I have a thin cap that can fit between the helmet cage and the top of the helmet. If I"m standing around and can't easily get to the pack, I can still readily get to it, put it on, and put the helmet over that. A thin balaclava works too. An easily adjustable helmet cage is a good idea so it can be quickly adjusted to wearing the cap or not wearing the cap.

If I feel I need to cover the hands, leather-palmed gloves are good. They are usually in the pockets of the shell if not being worn. If it's slab climbing, one often has a lot of hand-skin in contact with the rock which will suck the heat right out. A layer of leather can make all the difference while climbing cold rock ... and this is where tip-less gloves are important to me (although tips can still get numb).

Yes, layers. And unlike hiking, slightly over-layering is not so bad. I mean, if I have it just right, I get a little warm while climbing and don't get too cold while belaying. And that big-ass puffy jacket mentioned up-thread is nice to have while standing around at the base of the climb or sometimes even on the climb itself depending on the style of climbing.

And sometimes a thin sock under the climbing shoe helps.

Bill L

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook