Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jp_sucks

Jun 7, 2013, 1:10 AM
Post #1 of 35 (22552 views)
Shortcut

Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

News link: http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/210490381.htmlhttp://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/210490381.html

Haven't heard anything new on the climber's condition yet. Seems to be the same accident that keeps happening over and over though... miscommunication leading to someone being dropped from the top of a climb. When will people start taking this more seriously??

gblauer

Jun 7, 2013, 1:12 AM
Post #2 of 35 (22548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Made clicky

jumpingrock

Jun 7, 2013, 8:43 AM
Post #3 of 35 (22440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have some rules that I religiously follow that will go a long way for people to prevent this type of accident.

1) ALWAYS talk with your belayer before you leave the ground about what you are going to do at the top.
2) ALWAYS weight the rope before unclipping your safety from the anchor.
3) ALWAYS play out 3 - 4 feet of slack rather than removing your partner from belay until you are certain that they are secure.
4) ALWAYS say 'SECURE' rather than 'SAFE'. 'TAKE' and 'SAFE' sound very similar and can lead to disastrous consequences.
5) ALWAYS treat cleaning a bolted anchor as the most dangerous thing you can do during a day at the crag.

walkonyourhands

Jun 7, 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #4 of 35 (22416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
I have some rules that I religiously follow that will go a long way for people to prevent this type of accident.

1) ALWAYS talk with your belayer before you leave the ground about what you are going to do at the top.
3) ALWAYS play out 3 - 4 feet of slack rather than removing your partner from belay until you are certain that they are secure.
4) ALWAYS say 'SECURE' rather than 'SAFE'. 'TAKE' and 'SAFE' sound very similar and can lead to disastrous consequences.
5) ALWAYS treat cleaning a bolted anchor as the most dangerous thing you can do during a day at the crag.

That sure works fine …until the one time your forget to do so. I know, it's hardly possible for many climbers but nothing beats a partner that knows you well.

DipDop

Jun 7, 2013, 11:46 AM
Post #5 of 35 (22408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkonyourhands] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

walkonyourhands wrote:
jumpingrock wrote:

That sure works fine …until the one time your forget to do so. I know, it's hardly possible for many climbers but nothing beats a partner that knows you well.

I'd actually say the opposite- the people who I climb with the most are the ones I find are most likely to start getting into a routine and skipping commands

Am I the only one confused how he fell from the anchors but the line was still taught when he hit ground?

csproul

Jun 7, 2013, 2:09 PM
Post #6 of 35 (22370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DipDop] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DipDop wrote:
walkonyourhands wrote:
jumpingrock wrote:

I'd actually say the opposite- the people who I climb with the most are the ones I find are most likely to start getting into a routine and skipping commands

Am I the only one confused how he fell from the anchors but the line was still taught when he hit ground?
There are several scenarios that would leave you attached to a tight rope while falling from the anchor.

If you fell, expecting to be lowered and there was no one lowering you, you would still be attached to the rope. If you went to rappel and only got one strand in your device, you would still be attached to the rope. Those wouldn't entirely explain why it was tight, but in a fall that long it is not unreasonable that the rope could get tangled and/or hung up on something on the way down. Hope he comes through ok.

lena_chita

Jun 7, 2013, 2:45 PM
Post #7 of 35 (22352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really sorry to hear about the accident.

I hope to hear the details later, but in the meantime hoping that the climber makes good recovery and everyone involved will work through the trauma.

So frustrating to read these confusing reports! they are quoting someone who helped with the recovery, someone who seems to be a climber/guide? But that doesn't add much clarity, either!

marc801

Jun 7, 2013, 9:02 PM
Post #8 of 35 (22214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
So frustrating to read these confusing reports! they are quoting someone who helped with the recovery, someone who seems to be a climber/guide? But that doesn't add much clarity, either!
Seems that much of the quote content was to justify that the school group and gear had nothing to do with the accident.

lena_chita

Jun 8, 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #9 of 35 (22096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
Seems that much of the quote content was to justify that the school group and gear had nothing to do with the accident.

Yes, that was the sense I got, too.

But really, how hard would it have been for the person to say something like "climber was tied in with fully-finished figure 8, the rope was through the anchors, there was no belayer attached to the other side of the rope, a tangle of rope was stuck in the anchors and keeping the rope tight", or something like that, before proceeding to say that they cut the rope, and it was their rope, but they had nothing to do with the accident.

jp_sucks

Jun 9, 2013, 12:38 AM
Post #10 of 35 (22022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll see if I can find out some more details here (I live close to Skaha). Surprisingly this didn't make it into the regular news channels here.

I did see one small story yesterday but no further details.

a4a52041

Jun 9, 2013, 3:49 AM
Post #11 of 35 (21976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have spoken with the group leader of the ATLAS outdoor school group and, understandably, the kids are shaken up. The school group was in a popular climbing area at Skaha and were monopolizing a wall. They had a bunch of ropes setup for top-roping. The party of three involved in the accident asked to hop on one of their ropes. From my understanding...when the person got to the top of the route the belayer took him off...the climber leaned back to weight the rope and fell.

When the accident occurred the high school kids jumped into action....some of the kids helped out with first aid, others ran for the spinal board, and other used saws to cut down small trees so the air ambulance helicopter could land....these kids and group leaders are heroes and should be congratulated.

marc801

Jun 9, 2013, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 35 (21891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a4a52041] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a4a52041 wrote:
I have spoken with the group leader of the ATLAS outdoor school group and, understandably, the kids are shaken up. The school group was in a popular climbing area at Skaha and were monopolizing a wall. They had a bunch of ropes setup for top-roping. The party of three involved in the accident asked to hop on one of their ropes. From my understanding...when the person got to the top of the route the belayer took him off...the climber leaned back to weight the rope and fell.

When the accident occurred the high school kids jumped into action....some of the kids helped out with first aid, others ran for the spinal board, and other used saws to cut down small trees so the air ambulance helicopter could land....these kids and group leaders are heroes and should be congratulated.
I'm guessing Red Tail Wall? Where did they land the air ambulance? In that clearing over toward the outhouse?

a4a52041

Jun 10, 2013, 5:15 AM
Post #13 of 35 (21826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grassy Bluffs - not sure where the helicopter landed

jumpingrock

Jun 10, 2013, 7:12 AM
Post #14 of 35 (21811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkonyourhands] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

walkonyourhands wrote:
jumpingrock wrote:

Agreed. That's why there is more than one rule I follow, thus if I forget rule #1 (and who doesn't forget something every once in a while) rule #2 and possibly (depending on my partner) rule #3 will keep me alive.

lena_chita

Jun 10, 2013, 3:18 PM
Post #15 of 35 (21744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a4a52041 wrote:

Witnessing a serious accident is hard on the by-standers, too. I am glad to hear that kids were able to rise to the occasion and help out. Hopefully they will take an important lesson about safety out of this incident and will be able to still climb after processing the recovery.

moose_droppings

Jun 10, 2013, 4:29 PM
Post #16 of 35 (21719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a4a52041 wrote:

+1
Thanks for all the help.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Jun 10, 2013, 4:31 PM)

marc801

Jun 10, 2013, 5:04 PM
Post #17 of 35 (21686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a4a52041 wrote:
Grassy Bluffs - not sure where the helicopter landed
Oh, there (assuming you meant Grassy Glades - Grassy Bluffs I've not heard of)....yeah, a good LZ can be set up just south of Grassy Glades on the ridge where the trail comes up from Elusive Edge.

Usually the beginner gang top ropes are on Red Tail and Go Anywhere and GA doesn't have the 30m height, hence my earlier guess.

kobaz

Jun 12, 2013, 2:54 AM
Post #18 of 35 (21527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a4a52041 wrote:
From my understanding...when the person got to the top of the route the belayer took him off...the climber leaned back to weight the rope and fell.

This is why lowering off the anchors when sport climbing scares the shit out of me. There's much more chance of error (edited to add: and lots more reported accidents) than setting up a rap (and nicer on the anchors...). And do what have you... tie knots in the ends, set up an autoblock, and call down to verify your ends are on the ground. Much much safer.

I constantly see people yell "off belay" and the belayer takes them off and walks away. The climber threads the rope and gets ready to lower and calls "put me on belay". There is absolutely no reason, *whatsoever* to ever call off belay when planning to lower on a route. Scary, scary, scary.

(This post was edited by kobaz on Jun 12, 2013, 2:59 AM)

shotwell

Jun 12, 2013, 5:35 AM
Post #19 of 35 (21496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
a4a52041 wrote:
From my understanding...when the person got to the top of the route the belayer took him off...the climber leaned back to weight the rope and fell.

This is why lowering off the anchors when sport climbing scares the shit out of me. There's much more chance of error (edited to add: and lots more reported accidents) than setting up a rap (and nicer on the anchors...). And do what have you... tie knots in the ends, set up an autoblock, and call down to verify your ends are on the ground. Much much safer.

I constantly see people yell "off belay" and the belayer takes them off and walks away. The climber threads the rope and gets ready to lower and calls "put me on belay". There is absolutely no reason, *whatsoever* to ever call off belay when planning to lower on a route. Scary, scary, scary.

So because other people perform a simple task incorrectly you're scared for your own safety?

Simply put, there are three commands needed to clean an anchor while lowering. Slack, take, and ready to lower. Do it right from the beginning and it is safer than rappelling and lets you climb steep routes (also known as sport climbs.)

lena_chita

Jun 12, 2013, 3:55 PM
Post #20 of 35 (21414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
a4a52041 wrote:

Every time there is a rap accident when cleaning a route, people bring up lowering. Every time there is a lowering accident, people bring up rappelling.

Yes, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to call 'off belay' when planning to lower from the anchors. And most people do not call off belay in this scenario.

It comes back to the fact that climbing commands have a specific meaning, and they need to be used properly.

But we don't even know that this accident was the case of someone cleaning the route, so no need to jump to conclusions.

kobaz

Jun 12, 2013, 4:24 PM
Post #21 of 35 (21406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
So because other people perform a simple task incorrectly you're scared for your own safety?

Pretty much. Many times your own safety is in fact, in the hands of another person.

milesenoell

Jun 12, 2013, 5:22 PM
Post #22 of 35 (21385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
a4a52041 wrote:

I'd also add that due to the ease of miscommunication it is very worthwhile to grab the belayer's strand with both hands and pay out the first few feet as the belayer begins to lower, but ready to hold your own weight should there have been some error.

Where I climb lowering off chains will get you scowls from the locals. Rapping is preferred to save the links from wear.

bearbreeder

Jun 12, 2013, 5:57 PM
Post #23 of 35 (21369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Climber Falls 100ft at Skaha, BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

most of these lowering accidents can be prevented with a simple rule ...

dont take off yr safety till youve TESTED and weighted the rope ...

and close the system, tie a knot at the end of the rope

its really that simple ...

Wink

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Jun 12, 2013, 5:57 PM)

lena_chita

Jun 12, 2013, 6:10 PM
Post #24 of 35 (21362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
shotwell wrote:

Pretty much. Many times your own safety is in fact, in the hands of another person.

Yes, it s -- every time you leave the ground, tied into one end of the rope. with your partner holding the other end.

If you trusted your partner while you were climbing, why are you suddenly worried for your safety in his hands when you reached the anchors?

When I am belaying on a single-pitch sport climb, and lowering the climber, my job as a belayer is not done until the climber is safely on the ground. I trust the climber to thread the rope properly and tie his figure eight correctly at the anchors, and he trusts me to lower him.

There are multiple things that play into safety-- consistency, communication, double-checking, paying attention, etc. etc. But to claim that rappeling is inherently safer because you don't rely on your partner, so your partner can't mess up is just ridiculous. You can just as easily say that it is less safe because there is nobody to double-check, in case you are tired, distracted, or otherwise mentally incapacitated.

jt512

Jun 13, 2013, 1:03 AM
Post #25 of 35 (21268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
shotwell wrote:

If you can't trust your partners to lower you safely, you're climbing with the wrong partners.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook