RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Rockalanche

Jul 27, 2013, 1:11 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2830 views)
Shortcut

Micro cracks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Couple of weeks ago I got myself into a pretty bad climbing incident. I ended up dropping some carabineers atleast 150 feet that smashed off the rocks below. I retired them for that reason. So this begs the question What is your thought on micro cracks? real? fake? what ?

5.samadhi

Jul 27, 2013, 2:36 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rockalanche] Micro cracks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If they weren't visibly smashed or broken I would probably still use them. Maybe thats real bad though I have some pretty beat up gear in the various sports I engage in and I havent died yet.

curt

Jul 27, 2013, 4:37 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rockalanche wrote:
Couple of weeks ago I got myself into a pretty bad climbing incident. I ended up dropping some carabineers atleast 150 feet that smashed off the rocks below. I retired them for that reason. So this begs the question What is your thought on micro cracks? real? fake? what ?

Go find us a micro crack and report back. Hint: they often hang out with Elvis and the Loch Ness Monster.

Curt

acorneau

Jul 27, 2013, 1:56 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

From OnRope's page...

"Myth #1: You should replace a dropped carabiner because of undetectable "Micro-Fractures".

This is the biggest myth we know of, and was probably created by unscrupulous salesmen to get you to buy more carabiners.

Truth: In a test by Steve Nagode, an engineer at the REI quality assurance laboratory, 30 carabiner bodies (half ovals, half D’s) were each dropped six times onto a concrete floor from a height of 33 feet. Following the drops, their open-gate strength was measured and compared to 30 control samples from the same production batch and which had not been dropped. The statistical result showed "no loss of strength.” Inspect any piece of dropped equipment carefully, checking for proper function. Cast metal products are most vulnerable to damage, fractures and cracks. To my personal knowledge, this happened once to a gray cast metal Jumar ascender in the 1970's. To my extensive knowledge: Drop forged carabiners (and similar gear) have not exhibited this problem.

Note: OEM Petzl says: 1mm of wear or gouge is serious enough wear or damage to require replacement."

Lots of other myths addressed here...
http://onrope1.com/mythbusters.htm

marc801

Jul 27, 2013, 9:25 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockalanche wrote:
See that search box up there on the right?
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25
...gives you 681 posts with "microfractures". You can do your own search for "microcracks", "micro cracks", "micro fractures", or any other variants you dream up.
Happy reading.

knudenoggin

Aug 23, 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Micro cracks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
From OnRope's page...

Lots of other myths addressed here...
http://onrope1.com/mythbusters.htm

And some of that there "here" is ridiculous --amazed that it got published
(and REMAINS so)!!
--to wit:
In reply to:
These three are allotted for when using the 10 to 1 safety margin. Unless any of the three are excessive, i.e. a 20 year old wet rope with an overhand knot (50-55% efficiency) can push a rope beyond its life support abilities.
( -40% age, - 15% wet, -45% knot) = 0 strength.

By similar mis-reasoning, if you tied several knots in a rope
you could weaken it also to "0 strength" !!

*kN*

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook