Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
please help -down bag off to the cleaners?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gumbygurl

Jan 14, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #1 of 4 (555 views)
Shortcut

please help -down bag off to the cleaners?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got a very nice -15* down sleeping bag for xmas (big bang from mountain hardware). I already have used it on a two week climbing trip at redrocks and bishop and it needs to be cleaned. I am sending it to the dry cleaners later but I would like to be put at ease that they will wash it right. Should I send instructions with the bag- if so what should I say

earthclimber

Jan 14, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #2 of 4 (555 views)
Shortcut

please help -down bag off to the cleaners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure they are equipped to wash sleeping bags. Regular dry clean chemicals will damage down sleeping bags. If they dont know how to wash sleeping bags, dont let them touch yours. Another option would be to do it yourself in a front load washer with non detergent soap. Then tumble dry (it will take a long time to dry).

womble

Jan 14, 2003, 4:30 PM
Post #3 of 4 (555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless you can get them to verify that they really know how to clean sleeping bags, do it yourself! I've seen a good down bag shrunken into some sort of kid's size bag when it's gone wrong.

Dissolve some soap flakes into a bathtub of water, wash gently and rinse several times. Then allow to air dry if it's hot, breaking up clumps of down occasionally. Or tumble dry on LOW in a commercially sized dryer with a tennis ball to break up down clumps. A google search will probably yield lots of stuff in this direction.

On another note, your sleeping bag shouldn't need cleaning after two weeks of use- is it really that filthy? You should consider getting a cotton or a silk liner- much easier to clean than a bag and far cheaper.

bigmatt

Jan 14, 2003, 4:32 PM
Post #4 of 4 (555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's also time for me to clean my bag, but I'm going to do it myself. There's a great article about bag cleaning on Backpacker.com (http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,1835,00.html). Briefly, it says that you shouldn't send your bag to be dry-cleaned, but if you aren't going to do it yourself, send it to someone who specializes in cleaning sleeping bags.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook