RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Doddzi_72

Dec 8, 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #1 of 15 (6910 views)
Shortcut

Are you a risk taker?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SURVEY:

*Climbers wanted*

Have you ever considered the reasons you participate in high risk extreme sports? What personality traits do people possess that make them want to risk their life?

You can assist our research into personality types in high risk sports by taking our survey; participants are given the option to enter their email address into a draw for a £50 cash prize as an incentive for taking the survey.

Thanks for your time

Please follow the link if you are interested:

https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/bangor/highrisksports/

Pedrolius

Dec 9, 2013, 6:50 AM
Post #2 of 15 (6840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Doddzi_72] Are you a risk taker? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This was actually a survey.
much better than most of the ones posted here which have questions so leading it is obvious what the researcher is trying to prove.
This one actually seems like the researchers are trying to discover rather than prove haha

dagibbs

Dec 9, 2013, 6:32 PM
Post #3 of 15 (6757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hm... I wonder if climbing should be defined as a "High Risk Sport", though. Some variations -- e.g. free soloing, or possibly leading ice/mixed routes, maybe -- others, like top-roping in a gym, not so much.

dagibbs

Dec 9, 2013, 6:48 PM
Post #4 of 15 (6751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Page 4 (question 10.), why are all the questions in the conditional?

"I would enjoy my favourite television or radio programme." is not a grammatically correct/complete sentence.

Do you mean, "if I had a chance to do them"? Do you mean, "more than my high-risk sport"?

Partner cracklover

Dec 11, 2013, 6:09 AM
Post #5 of 15 (6623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't really understand why there was question after question along the lines of "I think there is something weird inside me that I don't understand". Is this supposed to be looking for people with Aliens growing inside them?

GO

lena_chita

Dec 11, 2013, 4:06 PM
Post #6 of 15 (6569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Are you a risk taker? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I didn't really understand why there was question after question along the lines of "I think there is something weird inside me that I don't understand". Is this supposed to be looking for people with Aliens growing inside them?

GO

I think the deep thought is that the more weird people who are confused, and unsure about their feelings, and can't express themselves, are more likely to take risks.

Tongue You could have the results of the study E-mailed to you, if you truly care.

pdpcardsfan

Dec 13, 2013, 4:14 AM
Post #7 of 15 (6485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought driving and eating McDonald's as high risk sports.

Partner cracklover

Dec 13, 2013, 8:20 PM
Post #8 of 15 (6427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pdpcardsfan] Are you a risk taker? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pdpcardsfan wrote:

Especially when done at the same time. One of the closest calls I've ever had to dying was driving long distance on my own on an extended road trip (tired), making sandwiches in the passenger seat, while going fast on the highway. Can't remember what caused me to have to swerve at the last second, but I was damn close to going off the road and flipping.

lena_chita wrote:
I think the deep thought is that the more weird people who are confused, and unsure about their feelings, and can't express themselves, are more likely to take risks.

And... the idea is to just keep asking the same question over again until the person admits it? I don't know much about surveys, but that seems a bit forced.

GO

lena_chita

Dec 13, 2013, 9:04 PM
Post #9 of 15 (6418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
pdpcardsfan wrote:

Especially when done at the same time. One of the closest calls I've ever had to dying was driving long distance on my own on an extended road trip (tired), making sandwiches in the passenger seat, while going fast on the highway. Can't remember what caused me to have to swerve at the last second, but I was damn close to going off the road and flipping.

lena_chita wrote:

And... the idea is to just keep asking the same question over again until the person admits it? I don't know much about surveys, but that seems a bit forced.

GO

Well, all surveys usually ask the same question in a variety of ways, multiple times, in a positive statement, as well as in a negative statement, and then either throw out the outlier, usually due to poor wording or misunderstanding, or take an average or mean, of the responses to the same basic question.

And there are nuances, too...

For example "I feel happy when there is a lot of fast action" and "I feel bored when there is nothing happening" could be the flip side of the same coin to some people, if you strongly agree with one, you strongly agree with the other.
But other people might agree with the first one, but not the second one (e.i. someone is happy when there is a lot of fast action, but also perfectly content with a period of quiet time, it is not boring to sit quietly and read)

Those are different groups of people in terms of personality, right?

USnavy

Dec 13, 2013, 11:59 PM
Post #10 of 15 (6401 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

patto

Dec 15, 2013, 11:13 AM
Post #11 of 15 (6304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What forums do all these academics hang out on so I can jump over and survey them and their presuppositions.

Climbing isn't generally a high risk sport. While I do believe there are interesting psychological aspects that are open for exploration, starting with the assumption that climbing is a high risk sport is plainly bad science.

Partner cracklover

Dec 16, 2013, 5:03 PM
Post #12 of 15 (6250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Are you a risk taker? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Can't remember what caused me to have to swerve at the last second, but I was damn close to going off the road and flipping.

Maybe it had something to do with making sandwiches in the passenger seat instead of driving in the driver's seat.

Thank you Captain Obvious, for your enlightenment. If you must know, my best recollection is it was someone cutting in too close to me.

GO

(edited to fix USN's cheesetitting)

(This post was edited by cracklover on Dec 16, 2013, 5:03 PM)

bigjonnyc

Dec 16, 2013, 8:37 PM
Post #13 of 15 (6225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I pay a slightly higher life insurance premium since I engage in the "high risk sport" of rock climbing. Maybe this is where they're coming from?

edge

Dec 16, 2013, 9:57 PM
Post #14 of 15 (6211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Are you a risk taker? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
What forums do all these academics hang out on so I can jump over and survey them and their presuppositions.

Climbing isn't generally a high risk sport. While I do believe there are interesting psychological aspects that are open for exploration, starting with the assumption that climbing is a high risk sport is plainly bad science.

I think that the survey was meant for those climbers who self-identify as risk takers. While not all types of climbs are high risk, there are certainly scenarios where we willingly push into that territory for one reason or the other.

I know I do from time to time , so I filled out the survey accordingly.

patto

Dec 17, 2013, 2:59 AM
Post #15 of 15 (6184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Are you a risk taker? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
I think that the survey was meant for those climbers who self-identify as risk takers. While not all types of climbs are high risk, there are certainly scenarios where we willingly push into that territory for one reason or the other.

I know I do from time to time , so I filled out the survey accordingly.

No, the survey quite clearly was intended to survey a variety of sports that the research have identified as sports for risk takes or that are high risk sports.

I would like to know their basis for choosing those sports as opposed to many other conventional high risk sports.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook