RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Eclipze

Jan 8, 2014, 3:02 PM
Post #1 of 6 (4719 views)
Shortcut

Changing Pace For Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I am looking at changing my workout program to be less mass based and more strength and Climbing support based. Just for an idea when I'm on a 5.10d route I can one legged squat up my body on a small hold without too much effort. I have been heavily weight training for a year and a half but now that I'm Climbing I'm planning on going on a cut soon to drop from 180 down to around 165-170 over a 5 month period. I can't run I have severe Shin splints but I do 10.5k on the reclining bike on high intervals. Wondering if anyone has a weight training program that's good for Climbing. I don't have access to a Climbing gym besides once or twice a week so training technique / using finger boards is out of the picture. But I do have a weight gym. Thanks!

funintheslots

Jan 8, 2014, 3:56 PM
Post #2 of 6 (4669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Eclipze] Changing Pace For Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could set this system up in a small space at home.

http://www.nicros.com/...mum-grip-strength-2/

Eclipze

Jan 8, 2014, 4:10 PM
Post #3 of 6 (4659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funintheslots] Changing Pace For Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

funintheslots wrote:
You could set this system up in a small space at home.

http://www.nicros.com/...mum-grip-strength-2/

This looks awesome! Except I am a soldier living in Israel overseas renting a 1 room apartment. I think putting in an HIT Wall would probably violate a bunch of building codes besides costing a ton haha. But I'm definitely gonna get one of these when I have my own house

What I mean was more does someone have a program they reccomend for the weight gym to specifically assists with climbing

(This post was edited by Eclipze on Jan 8, 2014, 4:12 PM)

ConquertheCrux

Jan 9, 2014, 3:25 AM
Post #4 of 6 (4591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Dude,

To be honest you already sound strong enough to climb hard and weight training isn't really going to provide much benefit for you. I think many climbers waste time with weights thinking that they'll see massive improvements when in fact their time is much better spent with more climbing. Weight training is good for beginners to develop muscle and strength to get started but eventually you reach a point when the gains you get from this training become insignificant.

Even though you can only get to the gym once or twice a week you can still double the amount you are climbing. By reducing your rest time between climbs in half you can double the amount of climbing you do each session. Climbing is the best training for climbing. Focus on quantity instead of quality. Increase the number of movements you do every session and you'll begin to see improvements. This is what you should focus on. :)

pedro_sandchez

Jan 13, 2014, 7:28 PM
Post #5 of 6 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ConquertheCrux] Changing Pace For Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ConquertheCrux wrote:
Hey Dude,

To be honest you already sound strong enough to climb hard and weight training isn't really going to provide much benefit for you. I think many climbers waste time with weights thinking that they'll see massive improvements when in fact their time is much better spent with more climbing. Weight training is good for beginners to develop muscle and strength to get started but eventually you reach a point when the gains you get from this training become insignificant.

Even though you can only get to the gym once or twice a week you can still double the amount you are climbing. By reducing your rest time between climbs in half you can double the amount of climbing you do each session. Climbing is the best training for climbing. Focus on quantity instead of quality. Increase the number of movements you do every session and you'll begin to see improvements. This is what you should focus on. :)

This is the best advice you could hope to get.

funk

Jan 13, 2014, 8:53 PM
Post #6 of 6 (4270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep climbing.
start swimming.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook