Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
can't agree with this
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tbird

Apr 30, 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1955 views)
Shortcut

can't agree with this  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Tunnel_Crags)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have to add my two cents with those who think these concerns are overblown. I've climbed rather frequently at the tunnels and have never dropped a rock that would reach the road. There are only a few routes where this would even be remotely possible. The Forest Service doesn't seem to have a problem with the climbing, and I know of at least one cordial conversation between a ranger and a route developer. I know there was also some concern on the part of a highway patrolman, apparently new to the beat, but nothing came of it.

I think it's important to remember that the ultimate responsibility here is Caltrans. Angeles Crest Highway is a choss target up and down most of its course, and it is regularly cleared by Caltrans from natural rockfall. If you're familiar with the tunnels, you know that the main scree line, just east of the east tunnel, has been banked back in the original engineering so that most loose rock remains clear of the highway.

Chossy? Well, maybe you're not a Southern California climber. The rock is identical to what we had at Williamson. It looks chossy, but it's great climbing--much better than it looks. I'd say its generally better than the rock at Echo and Texas Canyon, which have gotten to be very popular areas since the closing of Williamson. There isn't that much for Angelenos to climb close to town on hot summer days. We don't need this kind of "self policing".

I happened to have been privy to the decision making of a crag closing for similar concerns in the Santa Monicas. That crag--"The Lookout"--actually overhangs the highway, Little Sycamore Canyon Road on the way to Echo. The chief ranger was good enough to have a meeting on the spot with a number of climbers and the route developer of that very crag, and although there was some disagreement, we all agreed to abide by his decision, which was very reasonably made, unlike the decision to close Williamson. Choss at the Lookout also fails to make it to the road, but it's a much more crowded situation.

I don't mind mentioning that the real hazard on Angeles Crest Highway is the high performance motorcycle gangs who seem to consider it their private rallyway. I see little law enforcement effort to curb these hazardous scofflaws, who manage to shut down the entire highway every time they cause their frequent and predictable accidents. Basically, I think the California Highway Patrol is too cowardly to address this.

6pacfershur

May 1, 2014, 3:49 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tbird] can't agree with this [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

tbird wrote:
......the real hazard on Angeles Crest Highway is the high performance motorcycle gangs who seem to consider it their private rallyway.... I think the California Highway Patrol is too cowardly to address this.

next time you encounter the CHP, feel free to mention this to their faces; please make a video and post it up, its been pretty boring around here lately

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook