RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

brunchman

Aug 4, 2015, 8:19 AM
Post #1 of 2 (4724 views)
Shortcut

Do braces work for bad elbows?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The one shown in the video appears to be just a tensioned piece of fabric, how can this possibly serve to lessen an impact on a damaged tendon?

Many thanks
brunchman

Seen towards the end of the video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qO3WxSbko

lena_chita

Aug 4, 2015, 4:18 PM
Post #2 of 2 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brunchman] Do braces work for bad elbows? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

brunchman wrote:
The one shown in the video appears to be just a tensioned piece of fabric, how can this possibly serve to lessen an impact on a damaged tendon?

Many thanks
brunchman

Seen towards the end of the video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qO3WxSbko

Define "work". Braces would not cure anything, but the video you linked doesn't suggest that they would.

Do they offer support-- sure. Is that support enough to lessen the pain? Yes, you'd be surprised.

I had climbed with a knee brace before I had a knee surgery. The brace definitely made a difference.

Couple years ago, I was dealing with elbow issues after I partially tore my supinator muscle. I've tried a lot of things, but the thing that worked best was kinesiotape, applied by PT in a specific pattern. Just a few pieces of tensioned elastic tape. How could it do anything? I was pretty skeptical. but the effect was almost instant (I wore it at work, to help with pain while using computer keyboard).

After some experimentation we figured out a slightly different way to tape for climbing itself. And I can tell you, if I put the tape on wrong (I had to rely on someone else to do it, telling them where to put it, and how much to stretch it) I would know within 10-15 minutes, because the elbow would start aching. Re-tape, and I was good.

I had taped my arm for several months. And of course it wasn't the only thing I was doing, I was doing PT. And eventually everything healed and I no longer needed tape. But I do believe that the tape helped me climb while I was recovering, where I might not have been able to climb otherwise.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook