RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

cdb1386

Feb 18, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are you recomendations for a bivy sack for big wall use?

http://www.biblertents.com/2002/winter.html
new lightweight water resistant

or

http://www.biblertents.com/2002/bigwall.html

what about North Face, and others?

Thanks

cdb1386

Feb 18, 2003, 9:32 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about the Integral Designs Salathe?

wigglestick

Feb 18, 2003, 9:37 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My roommate has the bibler bigwall bivy sack. IMHO, the sewn in clip in loop is useless. I like to just stay tied into the rope rather than clip the rope into the bivy sack and then attach myself to the inside of the bivy sack. I have an REI bivy sack which I really like. Very simple construction and trouble free. Outdoor research also makes a very nice bivy sack and Mountain Hardwear makes some nice ones too. But on a big wall the bivy sack is really the second line of defense against getting wet. The fly should do most of the work so you don't need a super elaborate bivy sack to suit your needs. Fish used to make one called a drip sack which was a very simple big wall bivy sack.

aid312

Feb 18, 2003, 9:50 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Bibler Big wall bivy and I am very happy with it. The only thing I wish I had done was bought the longer size instead. I am only 5'8 and sometimes I just wish I had a little extra foot room. I have also seen the longer models on sale for like $169 or $179 on a couple of different sites.

Good Luck

mrhardgrit

Feb 19, 2003, 11:45 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get the light-weight Mountain Hardware one - I have it and it's really not very good. The breathability is really poor and the zips leak worse than any others I know.

cdb1386

Feb 19, 2003, 4:02 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have the Bibler Big wall bivy and I am very happy with it. The only thing I wish I had done was bought the longer size instead. I am only 5'8 and sometimes I just wish I had a little extra foot room. I have also seen the longer models on sale for like $169 or $179 on a couple of different sites.

Good Luck

What sites? PM them to me, thanks

cdb1386

Feb 19, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found it on www.northernmountain.com, but I think they are out of stock. I emailed them so we'll see.

spiffdog

Feb 19, 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Bibler Big Wall in the Long size, and I have actually spent a rainy night in it, right next to Smithclimber's van where he was sleeping all warm and cozy. I was on the ground with no other shelter except the bivy sack, and the rain was fairly heavy. I was bone dry when I woke up. I did however treat the bivy sack with the spray-on stuff for waterproofing because I bought the sack on ebay. On the downside, I didn't find the delrin rod very useful for maintaining any sort of head room, and the sack can be very difficult to get into, especially on a ledge, because the opening is quite small. I am 6'1 and I found the long size to be extremely long. There is quite a bit of extra sack left over where you can stuff clothes or a jacket. As for the utility of the tie-in point, whoever said it was useless missed the point. It is useless only if it doesn't rain. But if it does rain, and you have a rope going from the anchor into your sleeping bag, the water will wick down the rope right into your bag. Not cool.

Spiff

therealbovine

Feb 19, 2003, 4:30 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bivy's suck, but if you need one, I'd recommend the Bibler big wall. The reason I say bivy's suck, is that you get so much condensation inside that you are wet anyway, but the Bibler Toddtex fabric has a "felt like" feel to its interior, which helps to absorb and disipate the condensation. Go with a long if you can, the extra room is nice to keep your clothes/shoes/beer in during those raging storms.

As far as the comment on "bivy's are really just the second line of defense" on a big wall (because most porta-ledges have a fly) is misleading. When you are on the wall, in a storm, the rain comes from all directions, including straight up, which penetrates most ledges rainfly. Buy a nice bivy.......

Cosmetic blems on sale @
wildernessexchangeunlimited.com

Best of luck!

vulgarian

Feb 19, 2003, 5:03 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Bibler "Big Wall Bivy" I love it. I am 5'-7" but got the long to store my stuff in the bottom. This is my second one. I gave my brother the first one. They are both in excellent shape after years of use. I highly recommend this bag as I researched them all before buying. Forget the full Toddtex version. Even the girl at Bibler (when it was still just Bibler) told me it was a waste of money.

Drew

cdb1386

Feb 19, 2003, 5:06 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have the Bibler "Big Wall Bivy" I love it. I am 5'-7" but got the long to store my stuff in the bottom. This is my second one. I gave my brother the first one. They are both in excellent shape after years of use. I highly recommend this bag as I researched them all before buying. Forget the full Toddtex version. Even the girl at Bibler (when it was still just Bibler) told me it was a waste of money.

Drew

I'm confused, what full Toddtex version?

dogen

Feb 19, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the integral designs salathe, and i absolutely love it. the two side openings make it really easy to get in and out of. plus the each opening has three zippers so you can vent, tie in, or make arm holes. i've used this feature a bunch of times to rack, cook, or pack when the weather has turned on me. it breathes well, its light, and the bug net feature is pretty nice too. there's a good description at rei.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6381&parent_category_rn=4500665

vulgarian

Feb 19, 2003, 5:39 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The full "ToddTex" version is supposed to be an upgrade which replaces the regular non-breathable yet waterproof bottom half of the bag. The reason it is a waste is because you are laying on it and thus renders any breathability moot.

Also, I have never had a big problem with condensation in my bag, although it can be a problem. Like a tent, it depends on how well you leave it ventilated. I leave mine open at minimum half way unless it's raining. I use my bag almost exclusively and relegated the tent to long stays in one place. Places I take my bag include back country randonee trips (this bag is really warm in the snow too), back-packing trips, car camps, etc. etc.

The person who wrote that the tie-in is useless is wrong for the exact reason the follow up person said. A rope straight into your bag will wick like a hose. Further, in the rain, bring your pad inside the bag.

cdb1386

Feb 19, 2003, 7:22 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've decided on the Bibler Big Wall Bivy (Long).

Both NorthernMountain.com and wildernessexchange.com are out.

Anybody know of anywhere else to check for one on sale?

piton

Mar 4, 2003, 1:52 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Bivy Sack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok i just picked up a bivy sack, which i have 1 concern with; In the hood of the sack is a encapsulated copper rod. Now copper is a great conducter; SHOULD I be concerned about sleeping in the sack during an electrical strom??? would it be best just to remove the copper rod?
thanks

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook