Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

hammer_

Mar 4, 2003, 6:28 AM
Post #76 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Would you ever date a non Climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I find it really hard to keep a girlfriend around that does not climb. I climb atleast once during the week and both days on the weekend, so thats three days and after a full day of climbing (expecially ice) all I want to do at night is relax and get ready for the next day. After a couple months and things get more involved, its really hard to devote more quality time into the relationship if she's not into climbing. Then things seem to fall apart from there.

phatires

Mar 4, 2003, 7:28 PM
Post #77 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Would you ever date a non Climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, love the responces and the advice. I will admit that I am a major TOOL at times and not the brightest bulb on the tree. I just worry about the two competing against one another was all.

I guess it comes down to a level of understanding and a measure of compromise.

Thanks 4 the 411

Matt Stone

allan_thomson

Aug 3, 2003, 1:30 PM
Post #78 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Would you date a non climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think if I didn't date non climbers, then I never would have been out with anyone. Of course it would be nice to actually go out with a climber for a change, or even just a proper outdoorsy girl.

charley

Aug 3, 2003, 1:48 PM
Post #79 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Re: Would you date a non climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would prolly date a nonclimber if I was sure my wife wouldn't find out about it. She isn't very understanding when it comes to that. :lol:

dirtineye

Aug 3, 2003, 3:30 PM
Post #80 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Re: Would you date a non climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, but I'd try to find out if they were intersted in climbing or at least some sort of athletics. YO ucan always howpw they would turn to climbing...

wildtrail

Aug 3, 2003, 6:58 PM
Post #81 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

date... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know I wouldnever again date a non climber. I figure climbing/ outdoor stuff is such an important to me I would drive a non climber crazy IE my Ex-girlfiend

What about you folks would you date a non climber?

No, but I married one. :wink:

tradmanclimbs

Aug 4, 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #82 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Re: date... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont see what the point would be to date someone whom you couldn't share all the wonderfull adventures with. I would shagg a non climber rotten if she needed a good shagging and I was currently single but wouldn't seriously consider keeping her arround for the long run 8)

dymondbak37

Aug 4, 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #83 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Re: date... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's beautiful...very romantic.

calliope

Aug 4, 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #84 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Re: dating a non climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's important to have a good deal in common with the person you're dating. If you don't, someone (usually the girl, let's face it) ends up doing a lot of compromising in what they want to do so that the couple can spend more time together.

It would be nice to date a climber (still single as well) or at least someone who has a genuine love of something and will understand why I haul my bootie to the climbing gym every chance I get. With the various scrapes, bruises, and calluses I'm earning, I've pretty much decided only a climber would not find them repulsive, but no I wouldn't limit myself by that. It's hard enough to find people to genuniely connect with. No need to invent obstacles. :wink:

podunkclimber

Aug 4, 2003, 1:09 PM
Post #85 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree about common interests, I have such little interest in being part of, and doing the things other twenty somethings are suppose to be doing. Bars, clubs, the mall, Zanax, ugh!!! The times I have dated a non-climber just haven't worked out because of the lack of common interests. I'm also a little more weird than just the climbing, I'm still in college finishing my degrees in math, and physics. So my regular social circles are very small, and not very "main stream." So after many failed attmepts at this point, I am looking for someone I'm more compatable with. My climbing/outdoors time is my relaxing social time, and it would be great to be able to spend that time with a special someone. For those of us who do climb, and it's a major component of your life. It really is something that should be considered.

howdidshedothat

Aug 4, 2003, 1:28 PM
Post #86 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am dating one now, but I have converted him and he loves climbing :) So does that count?
I like coverting them because I can train them the way I like it (evil laughter) :twisted:

jetman_jake

Aug 5, 2003, 3:56 AM
Post #87 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

girlfriends [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the process of dating a non-climber who is slowly becoming a climber on her own accord. She was "outdoorsy" to begin with, but I never wanted to force her to try the sport. Now that she sees what I'm up to she wants to try it. Just bought her first pair of shoes yesterday actually 8) .

emtclimber

Aug 5, 2003, 4:23 AM
Post #88 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Re: girlfriends [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just married a non-climber about 2 months ago and all was fine, until the wedding.......now she's trying to guilt me for going climbing at the end of this month, it's only 3 days!!! So if it doesn't work out......no....I'd never date a non-climber again.

karmaklimber

Aug 5, 2003, 4:54 AM
Post #89 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing solidly for about a year and have been with my girlfriend for about 4 months. So far things have been great. She does her thing... shopping for purses, shoes, etc... and I do mine. And at the end of the day, it gives us something to talk about. I've taken her bouldering once and she actually liked it, though I doubt she'll ever get in to the sport of climbing.

The way I see it, sure, it's great that couples have things in common, but a relationship should be based on values and qualities: honesty, compassion, care, sincerity, loyalty,... the list goes on and on.

Climbing is what I do. Its not who I am.

tonyeatworld

Aug 5, 2003, 5:08 AM
Post #90 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me the question is would a non-climber ever date me? Or I guess the real question is would anybody ever date me? Sigh.... sorry about that I guess I am just a sad sack. But anyways started getting into climbing when I was dating the last girl, now the ex, and she didn't really understand it. Of course she would get upset when I would go hiking and she was stuck working or going to school. Of course she never made time to go so I think that was her problem and not mine. Of course the relationship was rich with problems so I don't think me climbing ended it.

timstich

Aug 6, 2003, 2:38 PM
Post #91 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Talked to a female friend while out at the crag yesterday about whether or not she would date a non climber.

"Well he would start climbing," she said.

Heh.

maria

Aug 6, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #92 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you tell someone "i really like you, but since you don't climb, I don't see a future for us togever"?

sroehlk

Aug 6, 2003, 3:39 PM
Post #93 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My preference would be to date a climber, but I would and have dated nonclimbers. Why would I prefer to date a climber? I think it would be easier to plan trips and spend time together if we both enjoy climbing.

But (as cheesy as this sounds) the most important thing is finding a guy I click with and that's already hard enough. Are all the good guys taken?

maculated

Aug 6, 2003, 3:58 PM
Post #94 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am getting so tired of this thread,but not so tired that I can't post to it.

I have a very good friend of mine who by all rights I should just give up and marry. I love him dearly, he'd never do me wrong, he respects me, and not that I care, but he has fantastic financial prospects . . . but he's also the biggest wussy I know. Can't stand dirt, the outdoors, etc. I took him top roping once and it was really sick.

He once asked me if I'd ever consider dating a guy weaker than me (because clearly, he is) . . . at the time I said yes. And yeah, I would, but the point is . . . you've got to have the same interests somewhere along the line.

I think I've rendered myself undatable to a non-climber. I hang out almost exclusively in large packs of climbing males, I spend every weekend I can away, climbing with said packs of males, and if I could, I'd do it during the weekday, too. I do have dreams of actually being a regular climber again (hopefully going back for my Masters will afford the time).

I find myself attracted to guys wearing beanies who aren't quite the clean cut preps I used to go for . . .

I should consider dating outside the small, strange climbing pool but is it even practical?

But then again, HAVE I dated inside it? Not so much . . . got close a couple of times, and then nada . . . ahh the sad plight of the lone, shy wolf.

And just because I just said that, don't start hitting on me. :)

jt512

Aug 6, 2003, 6:11 PM
Post #95 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And just because I just said that, don't start hitting on me. :)

What do you mean "start"? :)

-Jay

dano

Aug 6, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #96 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anybody i got a beanie i can borrow?
:D

maculated

Aug 6, 2003, 7:01 PM
Post #97 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Muwhahahah :twisted:

wonderwoman

Aug 6, 2003, 7:31 PM
Post #98 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

my fiance is a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After my last crappy non-climbing boyfriend, I vowed never to get involved in a relationship with non-climber again.

Then I ran into blueyeedclimber in the woods on his first day climbing outdoors. Now we are engaged :P But he climbs better than I do :roll:
but now I have a climbing partner for life who rocks my world anyway!!

I don't think I would be happy with a non-climbing guy. What would we ever do together? and I would only wind up seeing him during the winter times or on rainy days.

But, since we're on the topic of relationships, I like this Onion opinion piece called: 'I'm sorry but I only date men my friends think might kill me'

http://www.theonion.com/onion3930/im_sorry_but.html

jumpingrock

Aug 6, 2003, 8:41 PM
Post #99 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My preference would be to date a climber, but I would and have dated nonclimbers. Why would I prefer to date a climber? I think it would be easier to plan trips and spend time together if we both enjoy climbing.

But (as cheesy as this sounds) the most important thing is finding a guy I click with and that's already hard enough. Are all the good guys taken?

Nope. My number is 911-9863. Call me. We'll hook up ;)

maculated

Aug 6, 2003, 8:58 PM
Post #100 of 119 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But remember, he lives in an igloo.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook