Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

galt

Mar 9, 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #1 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Backing up a Figure 8
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone back up a figure 8 with an overhand knot? I saw someone do this the other day and it looked very safe at first, but after I thought about it I didn't know. Would the overhand knot take the energy from the fall? Would that hurt the rope? Would the 8 then be pointless? Any imput would be appreciated.

climberpunk

Mar 9, 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #2 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Backing up a Figure 8 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive always backed up my 8 with an fishermans knot, it just keeps the tail out of the way and from working loose. Its not really nessicary if ur knot is dressed right, but i do it anyways.

sunsation

Mar 9, 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #3 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The overhand knot is a finishing knot. It should not take any energy from the fall what-so-ever. If it does, you have not tied your 8 properly. The overhand knot just gets the excess rope (tail) out of your way. The Figure 8 knot is NOT POINTLESS!!!! Many people consider the 8 family of knots to be the safest out there. Irrespective, they are very versatile, extremely strong, easy to tie and easy to recognize and check.

If you have any doubt that you are tying your 8 properly, please have someone experienced double check it for you. And show you the right way, if need be.

vram1974

Mar 9, 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #4 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you referring to the double fisherman's keeper knot? Most climbers put that on to get rid of excess rope and keep the knot from loosening up. It doesn't have any fall factor issues.

moeman

Mar 9, 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #5 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The 8 is one of the strongest knots out there. It is always stronger to have a gradual curving bemd in the rope, as opposed to a sharp kink. The bend of the 8 is gradual, so it is strong.

galt

Mar 10, 2003, 2:07 AM
Post #6 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guess I didn't make this clear... I'm not referring to a double fisherman's knot (I ALWAYS back up an 8 with a double fisherman's) I'm referring to an OVERHAND knot. http://members.aol.com/goodheavens/overhand.html for an example of this knot. Imagine an 8 is tied and this (an OVERHAND knot) is used to back it up. Hope this clarifies things.

drkodos

Mar 10, 2003, 2:16 AM
Post #7 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all good. 8)

The whole point is to just clear up the excess rope in the "tail" after tying an eight. It's not even a back up. A properly tied Eight is not coming untied.

nickb

Mar 10, 2003, 2:31 AM
Post #8 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually use a figure eight tie in with an extrta pass. This is a figure eight with the tail tucked back through the knot. I like it because you don't have the tail sticking out the front and it adds one more turn to keep it all togeather.http://www.climerware.com/f8x.shtml A double bowline with a yosemite finish is a good sport climbing knot though

w6jxm

Mar 10, 2003, 3:45 AM
Post #9 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I have to tie an 8 in a gym or something, I always pass the tail back through the knot. Makes it a little less hard to undo. (I normally do a bowline because it is easier to tie and untie)

michaelmcguinn

Jan 9, 2006, 2:54 AM
Post #10 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Re: Backing up a Figure 8 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

mikewong

Jan 9, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #11 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you mean tying both a 1) figure of 8 follow through knot and an 2) overhand follow through knot together?

If you do, it sounds like a lot of work. I don't know who would do something like that. It wouldn't hurt anything but the overhand follow through knot will be hard to undo if weighted (that's why we use figure of 8's).

I hope that answered your question.

Mike

vegastradguy

Jan 9, 2006, 3:30 AM
Post #12 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or do you mean an overhand tied around the rope in place of a double-fishermans?

at any rate, i see folks with those big-ol' fishermans backups with their knots about a foot long and i just smile, knowing one day you're gonna clip your knot to your pro....

fig-8 with yosemite finish all the way- easier to untie, tail out of the way, and secure.

ajkclay

Jan 9, 2006, 6:42 AM
Post #13 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
at any rate, i see folks with those big-ol' fishermans backups with their knots about a foot long and i just smile, knowing one day you're gonna clip your knot to your pro....

fig-8 with yosemite finish all the way- easier to untie, tail out of the way, and secure.

yep, yosemite rethread's the only way to go... and yeah, what's up with those big and long dopey looking backup knots going a foot up the rope?

Adam

andykirkpatrick

Jan 9, 2006, 9:48 AM
Post #14 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For what it's worth - this is my take on it:-

http://www.psychovertical.com/?tyingfigureofeight

ANdy

overlord

Jan 9, 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #15 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i tie a keeper know if the tail is too long. its either a half know or a fishermans, depending on the length of the tail.

erclimb

Jan 9, 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #16 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an overhand won't do much as a back-up; the double fisherman's is an excellent (though some say unnecessary) way to secure the figure 8...the df is actually a slip knot and should be tied right on top of the 8 (turn over both knots and you should see four nice coils)...if your 8 begins to loosen, the df will help keep the tail from pulling through...you need 6-8 inches of tail to tie a good df; any more and you should throw in an extra wrap (i.e. triple fisherman's) or retie the 8...any less and i just pull the tail around and back into the 8 (i.e. yosemite follow through)

conventional wisdom says the 8 "does not fail" but the df takes 5 seconds to tie and provides a little more security

rockguide

Jan 9, 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #17 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The figure eight is fine without a double fisherman, or overhand, or any backup. It is a stable knot, unlike the bowline which is an unstable knot and requires a back up. Two fists of extra rope coming out of the knot is fine, and the backthread is a great way to keep that out of the way.

vegastradguy wrote:
In reply to:

yup - seen it. It is also harder to clip, get close to draws, clean pro while seconding with a yard of gack due to a big loop on the harness side of the eight and a macrame project on the other.

You will tie thousands of figure eights - get good at it.

As for having extra rope to get out of the way - learn to tie the knot so there is not extra rope to deal with. I know how much rope below the starter knot I need to complete the eight with the correct amount of extra rope. I have measured it along my arm, and every time I go climbing, I bring my arm with me.

Brian

(edited one time to correct issues with pasting quotes)

pendereki

Jan 9, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #18 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also measure with my arm, but slightly longer or shorter each time so that I am not tying into the exact same spot each time. I then use an overhand or double or triple or quadruple and/or Yosemite to deal with the extra.

vegastradguy

Jan 9, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #19 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have measured it along my arm, and every time I go climbing, I bring my arm with me.

me too- of course, i climb with many different rope diameters, which has resulted in three different arm lengths for tie-ins - one for double lines, one for skinny singles, and one for fat singles. one time i accidentally used the fat single measurement for a double rope and ended up with like two feet of tail.... :lol:

iclime

Jan 9, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #20 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The figure eight is fine without a double fisherman, or overhand, or any backup. It is a stable knot, unlike the bowline which is an unstable knot and requires a back up. Two fists of extra rope coming out of the knot is fine, and the backthread is a great way to keep that out of the way.
I completely agree. If, however, you want to put a back up knot on there (I sure don't), I think an overhand is just fine. But the only times I have been tempted to use a finishing knot, it's because I ended up with too much tail. Like the man said:

In reply to:
You will tie thousands of figure eights - get good at it.

As for having extra rope to get out of the way - learn to tie the knot so there is not extra rope to deal with. I know how much rope below the starter knot I need to complete the eight with the correct amount of extra rope.

Has anybody ever had their figure-eight tie-in knot slip? Ever? I checked it once (I was in a gym with a special lead fall practice area, and I taped a band around the tail to compare before and after), and while the knot tightened, the tail slipped millimeters.
M

Partner csgambill

Jan 9, 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #21 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
or do you mean an overhand tied around the rope in place of a double-fishermans?

I prefer the double bowline. It's easier to tie incorrectly than the figure 8, but so much easier to untie than the figure 8 after it's been weighted.

rocknap

Jan 9, 2006, 8:00 PM
Post #22 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to use the rethread until someone pointed out that if for some reason the rethreaded tail were to "fall out" (un-rethread) you would end up with a loose figure eight (due to the now vacated space inside the knot that had been occupied by the rethreaded tail). I can't really imagine how this could happen, but why chance it?

Now I only use an overhand, fishermans, or double fishermans for backup (depending on length of tail).

As a side point, it still amazes me how many people incorrectly tie their eights twisted. I see people with years of experience who have tied it with a twist thousands of times and never saw the problem. The knot should look the same and be nice and compact on both sides (turn it over and look for a twist).

iclime

Jan 9, 2006, 8:21 PM
Post #23 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now I only use an overhand, fishermans, or double fishermans for backup (depending on length of tail).
What's the difference between an overhand and (I presume you mean half of) a fishermans?

Overhand Knot
Fisherman's Bend
Double Fisherman's Bend

M

cosmiccragsman

Jan 9, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #24 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Galt;
The overhand knot is at the tail end of the figure 8 knot. It bears no weight at all. It's just used to keep the excess rope at the end of the tail out of the way.
If there is not much tail, use a overhand knot. If there is more, use
a half a grapevine knot. ( 1/2 dbl fishermans knot)

jred

Jan 9, 2006, 9:32 PM
Post #25 of 27 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
an overhand won't do much as a back-up; the double fisherman's is an excellent (though some say unnecessary) way to secure the figure 8...the df is actually a slip knot and should be tied right on top of the 8 (turn over both knots and you should see four nice coils)...if your 8 begins to loosen, the df will help keep the tail from pulling through...you need 6-8 inches of tail to tie a good df; any more and you should throw in an extra wrap (i.e. triple fisherman's) or retie the 8...any less and i just pull the tail around and back into the 8 (i.e. yosemite follow through)

conventional wisdom says the 8 "does not fail" but the df takes 5 seconds to tie and provides a little more security
Please give an example of when a figure eight has come loose, and then please tell me how a additional knot would not of become loose before the eight. The only benifit to tying of the loose end is to get it out of the way.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook