Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

roughster

Mar 24, 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #1 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Being that climbers have a tendency to be athletic, I am quite sure there are a few peeps out there into running. I used to jog a lot till I hurt my knee a few years ago, now after taking a few years off from it, I am back at it 3 days a week.

One thing I noticed is the more I talk about it, the more motivated I become to do it. Since I am returning to hard climbing form (also after taking a year off about a year and a half ago - yes I am a wreck) I am trying to get back into peak form.

As a source of motivation I started talking about it to my employees as well as posting my weekly running times for my loop on my grease board in my office. It is very motivating since my employee always give me a hard time when I don't improve my time hehe :lol:

Anyways, today I finally exceeded my goal which is to run my course which is 4.1 miles in under 30 mins. I went and bought new shoes, and in addition really paid attention during the whole run on my pace.

Todays time: 29 mins 11 secs
Translates to: ~ 7.12 mins/mile

IMO the difference between running and jogging is running you maintain mental focus to drive your pace to reach certain time goals. It is suprising how much of a challenge it is to maintain constant focus on your pace for about a 1/2 hour. Jogging on the other hand (which I am not knocking) is about just letting your bodies own natural rhythm dictate the pace. Of course I found that as my mind wanders, my pace slows, and then next thing you know I am taking "baby-steps" hehe.

Not trying to get into a e-penis measuring contest, just interested in if anyone else is trying to keep track of their times.

Aaron

awsclimber

Mar 24, 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #2 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

running sucks. you should stick to climbing all the time. Its better training and lower impact.

roughster

Mar 24, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #3 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Trust me, there is no shortage of climbing in my life as well, just running is a good way to keep the cardio up, and drop some extra lbs. At the very least it makes me feel less "dirty" about eating that In and Out Double Double last night heheh :lol:

dmon

Mar 24, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #4 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like many things, running only sucks if you can't do it. I have been running since I was about 10, and I love it. I agree about the trouble with concentrating on speed for the entire run, one technique I find useful is to have "checkpoints" where you check your time every run. I have about 4 or 5 and use these to guage my progress as I run.

Good to hear you are back into running, good luck with the time, and remember; if you cheat you are only cheating yourself!

Duncan

sftony

Mar 25, 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #5 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think running is great for your heart and lungs, and is an excellent cross trainer for climbing. It builds your calves, quads and abs in ways that climbing doesn't. I find that on longer runs (2+ hours), I need incredible concentration and focus. I've carried over the skills I've learned over to climbing.

anyways - yep I'm obsessed with my times too. I live in SF, and I am trying to beat my PR for a round trip to Ocean Beach. Right now my PR is 41:32. I wish you luck, and I'm glad you got back into it.

roughster

Mar 25, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #6 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tony,

I need to hit the OB trail. My wife said she would be interested in hitting it as well. Very sweet run next to the beach :)

neomagi

Mar 25, 2003, 12:59 AM
Post #7 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in responce, i don t keep track of my times anymore. i was a competitive long distance runner for quite a while, but now use it to supplement.

i do general endurance runs for 30-40 mins on my recovery days. i occassionally do harder runs on some of my climbing training days, but generally save my knees and push myself on a bike.

hope you have set a new goal and get on to it.

gawd

Mar 25, 2003, 1:08 AM
Post #8 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
running sucks. you should stick to climbing all the time. Its better training and lower impact.

i cannot believe you said that! what kind of weak climber are? i run 3-4 days a week. usually in the early am. running is one of the best non-climbing specific exercises.

it makes your body more efficent. ie delivers larger quatines of red blood cells to muscles and brain.

and i climb 4 days a week as well.

please expound on your training schedule.

nice work roughster. i also get phyched talking up running. though i personally prefer to run alone and get my thinking done!

lox

Mar 25, 2003, 5:17 AM
Post #9 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bicycle commute.

Not so much this winter, but as a primary mode of transport over the last 3 years.

It's really good to get out and get some cardio-mileage in a productinve way on a regular basis.

Blood flow is good.

And breaking your own personal goals is good. Word.

bman505

Mar 25, 2003, 5:48 AM
Post #10 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that running is a great way to drop pounds if you're not in great shape to begin with. Running will not improve you're climbing specifically unless you are overweight. I do find that if I climb after I have ran on the same day that I focus more and climb better. I have also heard that when starting out running, that you should achieve distance first no matter how long it takes, and then try to decrease your time. Anyone tried this method?

tigerbythetail

Mar 25, 2003, 6:08 AM
Post #11 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Dude, what are ya scared? Somebody chasing you? Running...that's a riot!

galt

Mar 25, 2003, 7:02 AM
Post #12 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a "Peep" who loves running. I agree that running and climbing have little to do with eachother other then both being great ways to keep in shape. The biggest benifit, I've found, of running is it keeps my body nice and limber. My body just feels better after I knock out 4 miles.

beercanclimber

Mar 25, 2003, 7:03 AM
Post #13 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i like doing cardio circuit training twice a week. it really helps with endurance and agility, it's also helping shed some of the excess muscle weight.

oneballjay

Mar 25, 2003, 7:22 AM
Post #14 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in cross country I would run a 3.1 course in 17.48. However that was not even a great time. Now a days I only run about two miles a day at the end of a workout at the gym(weights). If you are trying to get some advice on running I would go for 45 minutes runs every other day and then easier on the off days.

onelung

Mar 25, 2003, 7:22 AM
Post #15 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Peep" checking in, I have run a mile or two. I am surprised so far no one mentioned a Heart Rate Monitor. Since You have defined the difference between running and jogging, and I am sure we all do both, why not figure out what is REALLY going on in your body. I'll always remember the 8.3 miles I ran where my heartrate stayed at 188 for the whole race, it took me 53 minutes. But I digress....
The only real way to measure your running cardio progress and/or level is to see what your HR/time/distance all add up to being. I find this very definitive of my fitness level.
You know the guy that won that race probably had a lower HR than I did.

Cheers......did I make any sense?
Yes its ...The Bill

getsomeethics

Mar 25, 2003, 7:25 AM
Post #16 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if i did not have to for work, i would only run when being chased!

twospoons

Mar 25, 2003, 7:30 AM
Post #17 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Running is great exercise, however it can be hell on your joints (it is very high impact).

I don't run for running's sake as such, i dont just go for 30min runs, rather i have a "goal" or what i want to do in a session eg. 3km run with 18x 200m in under 30s.

Apart from keeping myself under time, i dont keep track of my times, maybe once a year to see get a rough idea of my pace.
Im not much for distance, last time i ran a 1500m (long time ago) was just under 5.30, but short stuff ie 400m, last time was 51.8s

But the important thing is that you get out what you put in.

sftony

Mar 25, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #18 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I find that running is a great way to drop pounds if you're not in great shape to begin with. Running will not improve you're climbing specifically unless you are overweight. I do find that if I climb after I have ran on the same day that I focus more and climb better. I have also heard that when starting out running, that you should achieve distance first no matter how long it takes, and then try to decrease your time. Anyone tried this method?

totally true. To increase your endurance, go for distance not speed. There are even many theories that advocate very slow long runs (3+ hours) with 10 minute run, 3 minute walk intervals. It trains your muscles not to pump out as fast. But I do think that running improves your climbing in BIG ways. Besides the leg muscles it builds up, it increases your endurance for multi-pitch climbs. not to mention the focus and stamina you get from long runs. running a a solo activity, and to be out there for hours, in pain and in focus can really help your climbing or any other activity you do.

neadamthal

Mar 25, 2003, 6:03 PM
Post #19 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

i cannot believe you said that! what kind of weak climber are? i run 3-4 days a week. usually in the early am. running is one of the best non-climbing specific exercises.

gawd.... slow down hurricane.

don't call awsclimber a 'weak climber' just cause he doens't think running is that good an exercise. what he said is correct, climbing is better and lower impact training than running FOR climbing. running IS great training, but isn't the best for all of us (ie, with joint problems), and it doesn't work climbing muscles as well as climbing itself does.

personally, i swim for my cardio (bad knees also). that and climbing are dropping my pounds and shaping me into great climbing form... :D :D :D

papaswize

Mar 25, 2003, 6:26 PM
Post #20 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Running is one of the least gear intensive exercises out there. Shoes, shorts and shirt. Depending on the shoes you get, the whole shebang is less than $100.

As for benefits, I agree that the best training for climbing is climbing, but there's nothing that says you have to participate in only one sport. Running (especially trail running) will improve you balance, stamina and breathing. Climbing will also improve your running.

Cross-training is definitely the way to go. I'm not saying that one should do as many activities as possible, but you'll get different benefits from each excercise. I've been running longer than climbing, and I've appreciated what each has given me.

rockpossum

Mar 25, 2003, 7:00 PM
Post #21 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a running, snow shoeing, power lifting, cycling, swimming, hiking, climbing recreational athlete I always love to see the "dude, just climb" response to these types of posts.

In the words of Vince Lombardi... "Mental toughness is essential to success." Running is mental as well as physical exercise.

I wonder by the way, how many climbers are smokers (tobacco!?). I'm always surprised by the number of smokers (not to mention cigarrette butts) at the local crags.

Good on ya roughster, running too is fresh air zen.

Cheers.

mikedano

Mar 25, 2003, 7:03 PM
Post #22 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, running is the way to go. And I'm surprised people think it's not good for climbing--there's more to climb than just one pitch sport routes right next to a road.

I usually track progress by heart rate (I try to keep it at least above 160 bpm for 30 min.)

I'm also trying to do more trail running. I think it's totally fun, and a great workout for your legs.

wandt

Mar 25, 2003, 7:51 PM
Post #23 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Boo-urns to running! Wreck joints, waste time, and unless you're blessed with prime real-estate, you'll be sucking fumes and seeing the same boring city/suburbscape every time. Bleagh!!!!

Running within a sport, however, is A-OK. Basketball, soccer, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse... anything that gets you out there givin' er. Just don;t play lazy defense and the pounds willl drop away, AND you'll have fun.

piton

Mar 25, 2003, 8:13 PM
Post #24 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

personally i hate running but i find it great exercise. i try to get in 20 miles a week which isn't much, and i feel strong after a run.

roughster

Apr 5, 2003, 7:22 PM
Post #25 of 64 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Running [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just ran my first 10K (6.2 miles) this morning: 44:14.

I know not world class by any stretch of the imagination (Hell its not any class heheh :lol: ), but that was the 1st time I have ever ran in a "race". Had a great time and I am looking forward to the next one.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook