RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

clundin_99

Apr 3, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #1 of 9 (12223 views)
Shortcut

Used Crash Pads
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I tried a forum search and couldn't find anything. I don't know much about crash pads, but in one of the forums, one guy said to look for pads on ebay. Are used crash pads worth buying? How long do crash pads last (if not forever)? Just please give me general info on crash pads.

megadyno7

Apr 3, 2003, 1:49 AM
Post #2 of 9 (12223 views)
Shortcut

Used Crash Pads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've asked this question before myself, and from the info I got it seems to be ok to get a used crashpad. Some say it is almost a better way to go seeing as how they are so expensive new. As always try to get as much info on it before you buy it though. (Like try to get pictures and look for wear and tear)

My 2 cents

Also is anyone on this site selling one?

PM me with any info, please! :)

keinangst

Apr 3, 2003, 3:28 AM
Post #3 of 9 (12223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also on topic here, are there any good substitutes for crash pads that might be a little cheaper for starting out?

I know lugging a mattress out to the boulders is pretty ghetto, even for a newbie :wink:

madriver

Apr 3, 2003, 3:39 AM
Post #4 of 9 (12221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keinangst wrote.........

In reply to:
Also on topic here, are there any good substitutes for crash pads that might be a little cheaper for starting out?

.......uuhhhhhh....old car seats......!!!!!

galt

Apr 3, 2003, 4:22 AM
Post #5 of 9 (12221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw someone at Horsepen's 40 about 2 weeks ago with a GREAT GHETTO setup. Get a $15 tarp (15 by 15 would be perfect) and buy 4 Twin Size "Egg Crates." (They'll be in the "Bedding" isle at any Walmart.) Anyway you can probably see where this is going. Fold the egg crates in half and put them into the tarp. Fold neatly and think of some creative way to seal it off (I don't know how the guy at horsepen's did it, but I'd use superglue or some kind of STRONG epoxy) and walla... GHETTO Crashpad 101. You can of course alter this any way you wish. Add more egg crates, less, make one end of the tarp open so you can slide the egg crates out and clean them, seal it all up and hope you do a good job the first time.... The sky is the limit.
Anyway gluck and have fun!

(Come on guys, it beats old car seats)

Partner camhead

Apr 3, 2003, 4:56 AM
Post #6 of 9 (12221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in the film "hard grit" they use thermarest pads to cushion groundfalls. yeah, I'd take a thermarest for a 40 foot crater. hehe. damned brits.

alvchen

Apr 3, 2003, 5:16 AM
Post #7 of 9 (12221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
in the film "hard grit" they use thermarest pads to cushion groundfalls. yeah, I'd take a thermarest for a 40 foot crater. hehe. damned brits.

The thermarest pads on top of the eggcrates would most likely be sufficient. I believe the therma-rest pads are closed-cell foam, while the eggcrates being open-cell.

On eBay, beware of Bittersweet factory 2nd pads. Those only have open-cell foam.

mauriceb

Apr 3, 2003, 5:24 AM
Post #8 of 9 (12221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've searched a couple of times on ebay and have never seen a crashpad. They seem to be few and far between which is surprising since you can get BD cams out the wazoo

along the lines of a ghetto pad, check your local upholstery shop. They sell open and closed cell foam.

maurice

slab-dyno
Deleted

Apr 9, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #9 of 9 (12221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thermarest...closed cell? I think not. You may be thinking of ridgerests or z-rests, but thermarests are definitely open cell. Thats how they get their self inflating power...expanding open cell foam draws in air. And, thats why they pack down so small. You'd bottom out on a thermarest in a second, if it didn't blow out on you first.

Jimmy

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook