RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

silk5138

Apr 5, 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

experience vs. ability
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How long have you been bouldering? And what level problems are you climbing now?

aimeerose

Apr 5, 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

experience vs. ability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been bouldering for 4 years and I've done 2 V7s; Daily Dick Dose in Hueco and Monkey Bars Traverse at Kraft.

I can usually get v4s on the first go, unless it's Dean's Trip or the Pearl, which I've never been able to do.

granite_grrl

Apr 7, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm ignorant on my climbing level. The gyms I go to use a different grading scheme (their own), and I've never really bothered finding out when I'm out side.

Most of the time I don't care, but it would be nice to get a feeling for different grades.

My experiance, about 2.5 years on and off.

ecocliffchick

Apr 7, 2003, 2:05 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In terms of bouldering, I'm not really sure. Gym ratings are rarely consistent - I've fallen off V0's and flashed V6's depending on the gym I'm at. I've only really bouldered outside a couple of times and without a guidebook they were all just 'problems'. Some were hard - some were easy. . . oh, and I've been bouldering (primarily indoors for training) for 3 or 4 years.

aimeerose

Apr 7, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boy those must have been some easy V6s. If you climb V6, you know you climb that hard. If you have no idea, you're probably in the V0-V2 range.

ecocliffchick

Apr 8, 2003, 12:56 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like I said, they were in a gym, and the likelihood that they were actually V5's and V6's is slim to zero. It was during one of the ABS bouldering comps and the points garnered for each climb were supposed to be indicative of the difficulty of the problem. Some of the point values must have been way off because when I looked up the range they were supposed to represent it was way beyond what seemed reasonable.

On a side note, there was one problem one ABS comp that had a low point value, that I thought would be in about the range for my warm ups, so I hopped on it right away. It was vertical and crimpy and suited my style of climbing, and it had a low point value, so I knew I would send it, and I did. Little did I know the sign was wrong and it was worth more points than most of my other problems combined. It just shows you what a powerful tool your mind is. If it had been marked correctly, I doubt I would have even attempted it, but because I thought it was easy, I sent it.

aimeerose

Apr 23, 2003, 3:29 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

dead thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sad this thread died. I thought there would be more serious female boulderers out there. Anyone going to the PBC this weekend?

ecocliffchick

Apr 23, 2003, 2:51 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Re: dead thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would love to head out there. Even though bouldering really isn't my favourite climbing style, I think just the experience of an outdoor competition / gathering would be totally cool. I've been to Oak Flats before and the area is beautiful. Unfortunately I'm in Canada right now and in the middle of working on my Master's degree, so I can't just hop on a plane and fly out there for the weekend!

lilycactus

Apr 23, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Re: experience vs. ability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing aroung three years and I boulder 'round the V5, V6 range (trying real hard). I mostly climb trad (5.11), sport (5.12) but some friends from Jersey have been here motivating us to get out to the Draw to boulder, I love it! Bouldering is so damn dependent on so many factors, it is such a give and take!!!!!!! The PBC sounds fun, we have a booth.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook