Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ksiaclimber

Apr 21, 2003, 3:39 AM
Post #1 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

School Sucks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ive been climbing for about 8 months now and cant get enough of it. Ive noticed that climbing is getting in the way of my college degree. Im in my first year of classes and thinking about taking a few years off. My parents and peers are strongly advising against it, but I was wondering if any climbers out there have left college for climbing and how that turned out for them? I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks

renobdarb

Apr 21, 2003, 3:47 AM
Post #2 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Re: School Sucks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been climbing for eight years and it has yet to give me a degree or a paycheck. don't be an idiot. unless you can get paid to climb (and believe me, if there was a way to get paid to climb, barring sponsorship, someone would've figured it out by now), stay in school during the day and climb in the afternoon and on the weekend. if you're in any way good with time management, you'll figure out how to do it all.

jono

Apr 21, 2003, 3:59 AM
Post #3 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its tough fitting it in. i usually get time for it every week. quiting school? no, i cant say i have thought about that. make time, skip a worthless class like i do. just dont quit school because of climbing.

zacrobinson

Apr 21, 2003, 5:12 AM
Post #4 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah its tough but dont quit

just try not to let your grades drop so low that they kick you out!

caughtinside

Apr 21, 2003, 5:43 AM
Post #5 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, stay in school.

Plan your classes so you get a day off. Now you have three days with no class. Climb hard on these days. This will leave you unable to climb the other four, when you should be cramming like mad and going to class.

Or drinking beer, and doing pullups on thin doorframes to impress girls.

Use summer, spring break, and christmas for some core trips, and three day weekends as well. Don't be afraid to skip a class or two.

Graduate.

peripatetic

Apr 21, 2003, 6:00 AM
Post #6 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the same thing all the time... but I realize that if I bag in school, I'll never come back and I'll end up working some job I hate for the rest of my life. Finish school, then take time off.

mtman

Apr 21, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #7 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't agree with you more about school but climbing is what gets me through it. in those long classes i some times just wish that I want to climb and live in a shack in the mountains, but that is not a reality, this world is all about money if you like it or not. get your degree and get a job that gets you big bucks so you can afford to take a month off or two and climb.

try this, next time you are board in class look down at your hands, look at all of the scratches and feel how sore they are form your climb the day before and realize that climbing motivates you to do what you do so use climbing as your fuel to do well or well enough, make as much time possible for climbing. Unless you get sponsored (which you probably won't, or at least until you are climbing 5.15) climbing will not give you enough to live off of.

Look at it this way. If you quit school then you will have fun climbing until your money runs out, which it will quick. then you find your self flipping burgers for $7 an hour, how do you think that you find time to climb when you have to work over two hours just to buy a quick draw or 5 hours to fill your car up with gas to go climbing (that is if you have a car).

so stay with it and it will be better for climbing in the end. be sensible

charley

Apr 21, 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #8 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got married and never went to college and have spent thirty some years in lousy low paying jobs. school might suck for a few years, but a lousy job and no money sucks forever.

redpiton

Apr 21, 2003, 11:55 PM
Post #9 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also a first year student. Climbing steers my life, but it never runs it. I will never pass up an opportinuty to climb.

On the contrary, I do get paid to climb. I work at a climbing gym and I guide for the university and for a local mountaineering school. I get a nice paycheck at the end of every week and most afternoons I can squeeze out of classes just in time to pull down on something fun with my friends.

I'm a forestry major, and it is very demanding, however I always find time to follow my other dreams. I've thought and even joked about dropping out, but I would never do it. Where do you go to school? Join your schools Outing Club if they have one, and if they don't, start a climbing club.

Be well young climber friend

There are ways to do it.

alvchen

Apr 22, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #10 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do both!

I've got classes everyday and majoring in engineering, but I'm still cranking in at least 3 days of climbing a week. 90% of college is time management.

I'm addicted to climbing to. In class, I often find myself close crimping the side of my desk. 8)

jono

Apr 22, 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #11 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redpiton- i hate u. i wish i got paid to climb.

mountaingoat8

Apr 22, 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #12 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're only in your first year, you haven't gone through enough crap to justify quitting. For a non-school spirited, non-beer-head, school always sux. Just climb around it, or transfer.

-the goat-

P.S. Become a teacher, then you get crazy days off and 2mo vacation for trips every summer!

lazygirl

Apr 22, 2003, 1:22 AM
Post #13 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the UK they have gap years. Kids take the year off between high school and university and go travel the world. It's part of the culture there and the majority of students take a year off. This is what my relatives do. You apply for colleges in you last year of high school, but instead of being accepted for the next school year you get accepted for the year after that. It's nice because you get a break and you grow up some, but you're a little late to be doing that. But this idea might help any high school kids thinking of taking a break.

Where do you go to school? If you're really bummed out it might help to look at transfering to a college where there is more climbing around...year round... and such. I live in Vegas and it's getting time for me to decide where I'm going to apply to colleges and I know I'll have to go somewhere where it's warm and I can climb all the time (I'm just too used to living in a place where it's sunny everyday to ever deal with any other weather).

Live near some rocks and boulder every other day... or everyday... whatever works. This is what gets me through my life. Hopefully doing something like this will get you through school. Then you can go be a climbing bum for a few years once you've finished. This is what I plan to do.

steepfish

Apr 22, 2003, 1:38 AM
Post #14 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man i got the same problem i only have a grade ten education im 18 and am considering going to take some pro cooking courses it sucks not having any money get a good job make a load of money then you can climb anywere and have alot of gear
being a bum was fun then it really started to suck

jgill

Apr 22, 2003, 2:12 AM
Post #15 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the advice already given. My perspective is a little different, since I'm a retired college prof, but having watched climbers deal with this situation over a long period of time I must say that unless you are the climbing equivalent of a Kobe Bryant you should stay in school and work towards a degree. The first semester or year is frequently the most taxing for a student since you are adjusting to a different environment with usually higher academic expectations. Hang in there, and let climbing balance your life, rather than consume it. 8)

fuzzymonkey

Apr 22, 2003, 5:18 AM
Post #16 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Common dude, stay in school. I work 25 hours a week, and I have class 4 nights a week, and I still manage to find time to climb. As much as I'd love to drop the school and climb all the time it's just not a smart idea. Yes I have skipped a class or two and it has hurt me, but dropping out to do something that is fun but won't pay the bills isn't a good idea.

stizrizzo

Apr 22, 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #17 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do what you need to do!!!

I decided to take a year off - From U. of Colorado, of all places! to be a ski bum. Four years later, I went back to school (2001) and have 1.5 years left.

I can honestly say that the places I went, jobs I had, friends I met...on and on... I would'nt trade for a zillion bucks.

For me, the experience was absolutely worth it. I'm counting the days till I'm on the road again!

It may not be the "right" thing to do, but I don't think you'll regret it if you bail.

Good luck!

newtons_law

Apr 22, 2003, 11:20 PM
Post #18 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"And knowing is half the Battle... Yo Joe! "

gdonde

Apr 23, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #19 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh great, all this talking about school and getting good grades, damit, now i must go and study for my finals, so i can be climbing, just 3 more sleeps to go

moabbeth

Apr 23, 2003, 3:56 AM
Post #20 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stay in school. The rock will always be there, but the opportunity to further your education and make a better future for yourself may not be. Just learn to find the balance in your life where you can do both.

Dude, John Gill himself just told you to stay in school. Listen to the man. He's very wise.

lifeguard4

Apr 23, 2003, 4:09 AM
Post #21 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya I had a friend that dropped out of school two different times and he is loving life. It's great becasue I always have a climbing partner.

bandycoot

Apr 23, 2003, 4:27 AM
Post #22 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was in school I was taking a full load of science and engineering courses, working close to 35 (or more) hours a week, and still managed to climb. Just focus on getting what you have to do out of the way at times that aren't going to conflict with your climbing. Don't procrastinate, or when you want to go climbing you'll have stuff to do. I'm not the best climber as a result, but I love it and it's a great escape. Enjoy what you can from it, while you finish college.

bobbabaru

Apr 23, 2003, 5:35 AM
Post #23 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Listen up Freshman.

If I could have half the time I had in college to climb, I would be happy as a clam. Try going to law school and trying to find time to climb.

Get it? Climb hard. Study hard. The last thing we need is another brainless oaf who litters and has no intelligent comeback when someone comes into the crag and tells us we have to leave. Kay? Thanks.

mozea

Apr 23, 2003, 6:07 AM
Post #24 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do what feels right...but damn, you received a post from john gill urging you to stay in school -- that has got to count for something. the man's a freakin' living legend!

Partner camhead

Apr 23, 2003, 6:15 AM
Post #25 of 34 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can always find time to climb.

[spray]I'm taking 12 hours of graduate credits, have read over 20,000 pages, and written over 200 pages this academic year[/spray]

and I climb pretty damned regularly.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook