RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

compclimber

Jan 1, 2002, 10:55 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Comp climbing defeats the soul purpose of climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Quote:climbing is a sport of personal accomplishment

You've said it best right there. It is a personal accomplishment, each one of us is an individual. As individuals we can choose what we belive is "right" and "justified." Maybe that certain person doing comps has chosen taking 1st place in a comp as a goal. Are you telling them that if it isn't outside it doesn't matter? Because surely it does.

All competition climbers do not climb for money, or sponsorship. In truth most of them don't, its just fun to most of us. You have fun on a 5.6 trad route, we have fun onsiting a 12a on plastic in front of a hundred people. Neither is not climbing, it is all movement for movements sake.

And not all of us are bolt clippers either, I like trad...but you have to remember we're young, that means not too much money for gear.

clipngo

Jan 1, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Comp climbing defeats the soul purpose of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post

Hey patagin, First of all at 14 years old, I am not sure you have the experience to be telling thousands of comp climbers that they are wrong. Competitions are good, for the competitors spirits and for the climbing community as a whole. It raises awareness to the climbing community, which brings in more climbers, which (eventually) raises the awareness to access issues, which (if we teach the newcomers properly) can help to open or keep open climbing areas.

Secondly, I don't know any professional or comp climbers that are "rich", if they are, they were rich before they started climbing. Also, If you could do something you loved and make some money while doing it, you would. But at 14 you don't need to worry about that.

Lastly, you said comp climbers are turning the sport into a pitiful media covered sport like chess or bolling.
1. climbing shouldn't be used in the same sentence as bolling or chess, they are nothing alike, enough said.
2. media is good (some times) for popularity and awareness. Why did you start climbing, see it on T.V. and thought it looked cool? maybe not, but that is how a lot of people start.
3. most of the televised items on climbing I have seen are either showing some of the most beautiful lines in the country (world?) or documenting an expedition to some of the toughest climbs in some of the most inhospitable places on earth.

I am not trying to bust your chops here, just raise your awareness, kind of like what comp climbing done has for the sport of climbing. Good luck.

kriso9tails

Jan 1, 2002, 9:46 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Comp climbing defeats the soul purpose of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post

since this is a bullsh** post of a more malicious nature I'm closing it. If anyone wants to take it up and debate seriously PM me and I can open it up for you, otherwise I'd like to keep the melodrama down to a minimum.

To compclimber and clipngo: thanks for responding reasonably... several other posts of similar design were not as well recieved.

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2002-01-01 13:57 ]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook