RC.com meets up in J-Tree
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

i.karen
Deleted

Jan 14, 2002, 5:39 AM
Post #1 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

RC.com meets up in J-Tree  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Had a BLAST!!!!

rrradam and I spent five great days in J-Tree with people who flew out from Kentucky, Minnasota, Oregon, Texas and local Californian's. We all shared a lot of laughs a little squeaking and a lot of great climbing.

Thanks to Jaybee for the score on the camp site!!

I won't ever forget the nights we all shared Bopping-It!!

Adam will reply with a detailed Trip Report soon.

Karen
p.s. Thank you Trevor for making this all possible.

Partner sauron

Jan 14, 2002, 7:30 AM
Post #2 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

RC.com meets up in J-Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"a little squeaking" ? the word "lots" came to mind...

Yeah, it was a blast.. And thanks to Trevor for this kick-ass site that made all this possible, and thanks to i.karen and rrradam for having the idea, and organizing it (kinda) and stuff..

And lots of props and cool stuff go out to all the people that showed up (adam (will/has) mentioned them all, including T, who was kick-ass enough to bring me LOTS of OJ for my saturday morning OJ fix.

- d.

[ This Message was edited by: sauron on 2002-01-14 07:04 ]

hangerlessbolt

Jan 14, 2002, 2:39 PM
Post #3 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a great time as well. Big thanks to Karen and Adam.
It was fun matching names to faces and being able to hang out with fun people who share a love of climbing.
This outing gives me a lot of hope for the Utah get together.

~~~May we climb hard and fall infrequently~~~

Hanger

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 14, 2002, 7:12 PM
Post #4 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joshua Tree Trip Report: (Jan 9th - 13th)

In attendance:
jaybee (Jaybee) from Kentucky
-Adam (Jaybee's friend)
nikegirl (T) from Oregon
-Erik (her Husband)
-Brody (her Son)
fo_d (Les) from Minnesota
-Ann (his Daughter)
sauron (Dominic) from Texas
hangerlessbolt (Robert) from California
meadors (Andy) from California
addiroids (Paul) from California
-His wife and friend
toobigtoclimb (Brian) from California
-Danielle (his friend)
jeepmonkey (Joseph) from California
-Troy (his/my friend)
-Carrie (Troy's Wife)
i.karen (Karen) from California
rrradam (Adam) from California

Jaybee got there on Monday the 7th and scored the great campsite in Hidden Valley. Kudos to him for that.

The climbs:

Thursday (Jan 10th)
Real Hidden Valley, Hidden Tower:
Sail Away (5.8)
-rrradam(lead), fo_d(clean), nikegirl, i.karen, Ann, jaybee, Adam
Wild Wind (5.9)
-rrradam(lead), fo_d(clean), nikegirl, i.karen, jaybee, Adam
RHV, Thin Wall:
Conservative Policies (5.8)
-rrradam(lead), fo_d(clean), nikegirl, i.karen, Ann, jaybee, Adam
Butterfingers Make Me Horny (5.8/9)
-rrradam
No Calculators Allowed (5.10a)
-rrradam, fo_d, nikegirl, jaybee
Child's Play (5.10d)
-rrradam
Congratulations (5.11a)
-rrradam

Finished the day on Gunsmoke.

Friday (Jan 11th)
Echo Cove Area, E Rock:
Pope's Crack (5.9)
-rrradam(lead), fo_d(clean), sauron, Ann, i.karen
ECA, Echo Cove (North Side):
Fun Stuff (5.8)
-rrradam(lead), fo_d(clean), sauron, Ann, i.karen
Raging Intensity (5.8)
-rrradam, fo_d, sauron, i.karen

Saturday (Jan 12th)
Lost Horse Area, Hemingway Buttress:
Funky Dung (5.8)
-Troy(lead), jeepmonkey(clean)
Overseer (5.9)
-rrradam(lead), meadors(clean), i.karen, nikegirl, toobigtoclimb, hangerlessbolt, fo_d, addiroids
Overseer Direct(5.10a)
-rrradam, i.karen, nikegirl, toobigtoclimb, hangerlessbolt, fo_d, addiroids
Dung Fu (5.7)
-hangerlessbolt(lead), nikegirl(clean), addiroids
White Lightning (5.7)
-addiroids(lead), fo_d(clean), sauron
Poodles Are People Too (5.10b)
-toobigtoclimb
Poodlesby (5.6)
-meadors(lead), rrradam(clean), Danielle
The Asteroid Belt, Manx Boulders:
Warm Up Problem (5.9)
-rrradam, meadors, nikegirl, fo_d
The Boxer Problem (V1)
-rrradam, meadors, hangerlessbolt, i.karen, Troy, fo_d
Undertow (V3)
-rrradam
Xylophone (V2)
-rrradam

*note-toobigtoclimb lead something on Cyclops, and addiriods went off to lead other Routes... Don't know the names. Sorry.

Great times were had by all. Being able to put faces to the user IDs was great. Everyone got along well, and there was never a quiet dull moment. And like I said before... "Bop-It Extreme", reigned supreme.

Can't wait to meet up in SLC, for the next RC.com get together. None of this would have happened if it weren't for this site. The number of people who showed up, and flew in from around the country really suprised me.

~Adam

[ This Message was edited by: rrradam on 2002-03-16 16:23 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 14, 2002, 7:24 PM
Post #5 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yea... Pictures to come from all.

jaybee

Jan 14, 2002, 9:36 PM
Post #6 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, what a surprise it was when I found out that a bunch of net junkies would be meeting in J-Tree the same week I was to be there. I had to get in on that action. I've been lurking round here for a couple years since I spend most of my time either at work, school, or over at my own site (climbkentucky.com). We've had several get-togethers over the 2.5 years of our forums and each one is better than the last. Our recent Christmas party had a total of about 50 people attending. To get in on the first unofficial one for RC.com was way cool.

We flew out of KY with 4 inches of snow on the ground and 15 degree temps. We got to LAX, got our rental truck and headed out for J-Tree. I-10 was not as bad as I had feared and I had to do very little praying and very little waiting as long as i conformed to everybody else's speed of 75 or 80.

A bank clock on the way to J-tree showed a temp of 78 degrees and we were just grinning and saying "cool", "sweet", and "nice" far too often. Rolled in on monday evening to a full Hidden Valley. Ended up in Jumbo. A local at Nomad adventures told me to go to the DQ wall for some good intros to J-Tree. He specifically recommended Mr. Misty Kiss (5.7). So Tuesday morning we roped up for this good intro which turned out felt like 5.9- and left me horribly doubting myself and the ratings the rest of the trip. We did a couple other easy routes up there and finished the day with a 5.4 ** route with some of that runout J-Tree friction i'd read so much about. Turns out in the end that the grades in J-tree feel pretty close to those at home (the Red), but scarier for the most part and horribly inconsistent.

Wednesday morning we shot pictures of the sunrise and then we scored a site in Hidden Valley and went climbing at Locomotion Rock. I taught adam (the other one) the art of making tape gloves and we climbed a gnarly hand and fist crack for 2 short pitches. We watched some folks sketching up a 5.6 that looked runout and scary, so we bailed to grab some food. This is when we spotted rrradam's pathfinder and I flagged him down and promptly tried to lose his bouldering guidebook. The rest has been explained thoroughly. I have a bit of rockrash on my chin from bouldering. I am still mad at that problem. My gear is beat up, my fingertips are sore, and I feel fine. I will post some pics as well (including the infamous 'hair' pic) when i get them scanned!

I remember telling nikegirl how much of a blessing the internet can be for things like this when it goes well. I have learned so much from my site over at climbkentucky.com and kywilderness.com before that, and have met many great people who continue to teach me new things about climbing and friendship. It is now totally possible for a beginner to find out about climbing in their area, learn the lingo, buy gear, and find a partner/mentor without ever leaving the comfort of their home. I wish I had known such a luxury when i started climbing 13 years ago. Way to go RC.com. Am I longwinded or what?

Happy Landings!

-JB

http://www.climbkentucky.com

addiroids

Jan 14, 2002, 10:47 PM
Post #7 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I had a blast too. RRRAdam really put himself aside to make the trip enjoyable for everyone who was from out of town. A big THANK YOU should go out to him from all in attendence.

Eventhough I was only allowed (by my FIANCE not yet wife) to be there for Fri night and Sat until 5pm, I still had a ton of fun meeting everyone Saturday at Hemingway Buttress. Too bad Nikegirl and I couldn't hang out at night and feed off each other's hyperness. But I guess that's good for everyone else.

When we (my g/f and her friend) left, we did Walk on the Wild Side (3p 5.7 slab), then did Lazy Day (5.7 harder than I remember) in Hall of Horrors. Then we came back and went to the bar with 10 people from class.

Although I have Monday (1/21/02 off for Mahtin Lutha King day, I can only climb 1 day due to midterms the next week. I will be at Josh on fri night and climb saturday. PM me if you want to hook up again.

Again, thanks to Trevor for developing the site so the intelligent minds of all of us could get together and drink some beer, tell some lies, and climb some rocks. And thanks to Adam for coordinating it all.

TRADitionally yours,

The one who would not be able to pass the SoCal Mountaineer's Club safety test (just kidding - long story)

Addiroids

toobigtoclimb

Jan 14, 2002, 11:12 PM
Post #8 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great Trip! Thanks to Adam and Karen for setting everything up. And thanks to Trevor for putting up with all of the website headaches so that we can all talk and plan things like this. Meeting interesting people from all over is one of the great pleasures of the outdoor life. I'm already planning for the SLC trip.

Brian

fo_d

Jan 15, 2002, 12:48 AM
Post #9 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was a great trip, the weather was great, the climbing was great (rrradam took us to only the best routes) and the people were great. I'll be posting some pic's tonight and in the next few days. I'm not much of a writer so I'll let some pictures do the talking. besides i gotta go out and BLOW the driveway and sidewalk and that sucks, we came back to 5" of snow and its more like 8" now.
Thanks Adam & Karen for a perfect trip, i hope we get to do it again sometime.

jaybee I can't wait to see the hair pic, please hurry.

Anne says SHUT-UP! to all.

Later

meadors

Jan 15, 2002, 1:19 AM
Post #10 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey shutup! you are finally back in your boyfriend's arms.

nothing comes close to climbing big rocks with great people in a beautiful setting and Boping around the camp fire with some Thin Mints warming your stomach.

Bop It Rules! we all had these faces playing it:

if you werent there, this forum should be juicing you up for the next rc.com adventure.

props to adam and karen for their big efforts. adam used a lot of his climbing time setting up TRs and teaching people to lead. unselfesh!

this group was widely diverse with skill, age, backgrounds, home towns, styles and personalities. climbing was the commonality at first, but later we became friends. and i would have never known that a human can squeel as high as a dolphin.

rc.com was the vehicle and what a ride it was! thanks trevor!

nikegirl

Jan 15, 2002, 2:10 AM
Post #11 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow!!!!
one word. To put this whole experience to words...I may go on a long time, and editing is not an option.

I usually have no problem expressing my love for this site...as we all know, and if you don't...well, I DO...

I remember trying to put together my expectations of the JT trip, I couldn't even put a picture in my mind of what to expect...all together: I was nervous.

I just wanted to climb real crag, meet up with a few.
I had all these insecure feelings...being new. Not knowing all the "nomenclature" ... Not knowing my true ability of outdoor climbing.

I felt so welcome. I have to say, the community of climbing is close. Now, to me...it can't feel any closer!! I have met the widest range of people, this last weekend. All of which, I found a different source of inspiration. We we're at all levels. The weather was challenging and absolutly beautiful!!

I did my first 5.10a. Followed by another, later. Crack climbing (love it). Hands to show...rock rash!! hee hee!

I got to talk with Jaybee, he let me know, that I'm not the only one with out a spouse that doesn't climb...and know that you can still follow the passion of climbing, with a balance in life.

Adam(ADAM SQUARED, as Brody calls you.) from Kentucky:
Brody thought of you as the greatest. You clearly have a nack for kids...never give that up...it would be a shame. I have the greatest pic's of you on the crack climb...I'll for sure be posting them.
You amazed me! Heel hook!!!! dang!

I learned so much from my newest friend hangerlessbolt...words can't be found...just lucky to have met him...kind enough to give me a ride, humored me with my peanut butter and jelly lunch.
He lead, I cleaned....got to the top of the route...looked out...we didn't even speak...didn't need to.

addiroids:
We got to talk a bit...understand, that we hated eachother !!! Totally kidding. We talked a bit, before he showed me to repell...SWEEEEETTT!!! Ok, I squealed, then...Proudly!! Stick with School...you'll get the abs back!! hee hee. Keep climbing...I'm glad to have met you.

Adam was an incredible source of inspiration...his soul and patience,and energy...I've never met anyone like him...Can that man CLIMB and with FLOW!

Karen, absolutly graceful as a climber...and kind hearted, funny too!!! And dang she can cook, a mean pasta!!!!

Meadors: Watching him do a lead climb, and seeing the glimmer in his eyes...I want that,to have that glimmer when I do my first lead! You inspired me. Dang, that dish bouldering...You suck!!! I wanted that one, so bad.
Kiddin' you know that! Right? And the new Logo, rocks!!!

Jeepmonkey;
I didn't get to see you climb, with your knee prob..., but, it was fun interacting with you.
You we're a kick at the fire pit...laughter, was had.
Just let you know...I'll never take haldol...
I had a great time...you handled me well. Thanks for taking such great photos...you'll get the recognition, for sure!!

Souron:
Nothing like I thought he'd be like, I mean that in a good way. Enjoyed his energy and adreneline...good conversation... eeyorr

F_d, he so kicked BUTT!!! Suprised me left and right...You can climb

I love the fact that we all did different levels, cheered and gave eachother encouragement...
walked away from a weekend of just plain, fun.
Good, friends, now...and hopefully always.

Keep in touch, if anyone can,PLEASE, try to make it to Utah!
For I WILL be the newest "QUEEN of "BOP IT EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!
rrradam and ikaren:
This wouldn't have been what it was without you both. You two carried out a pretty amazing feat, and with grace. I think you two, have the best thing going...your albums showed it. A couple that climbs together. I envy that. I wish you both an incredible future together...newlyweds.

Thanks to all!!
Trevor, what a trip you missed. We missed you, wish you could have been there...THANKS
for this site!!! I hope you can hear that, and take it to heart...for this would never have happened if it wasn't for Rockclimbing.com.

BY THE WAY!! The user name, squeeks, here at RC.com is allready taken... hee hee...I'll stick with nikegirl (T)

T
I will throw in all of these...for I'm sad that this trip is over...

jeepmonkey

Jan 15, 2002, 2:29 AM
Post #12 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that "Squeaky" was the proper nick name for Nikegirl.

Unlike Nikegirl I am very laconic. Had a great time. Great to put faces to names. Great to hang out with people who just enjoy being outdoors. Great to bug "Shut-up girl."

It goes without saying that Adam and Karen are excellent hosts.

Look forward to meeting up again with some of you on the rocks.

beyond_gravity

Jan 15, 2002, 5:55 AM
Post #13 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

looks like Adam was hoggin the lead? I just wish i could get outta these bummer Canadain crags. I know, how bout all u guys come to Canada and crank some slabs and Multi-Pitch trad climbs, then relax with some nice dangourous ice climbing, then to finish it off a highly exposed scramble.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 15, 2002, 7:32 AM
Post #14 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are now several pictures in the Gallery from several users who were there. With many more to come.

I haven't even gotten mine back yet.

Partner sauron

Jan 15, 2002, 3:53 PM
Post #15 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it shall be my time to write some words, as well...

I flew out of Austin, not really knowing what I'd gotten myself into, but figuring it was going to be a LOT of fun. Indeed, this it was - I met a whole BUNCH of really cool and fun people. Next time I go out to Josh, I know better than to fly into LAX, though If only the rumor about 70 mph bumper-to-bumper traffic were true...

adam & karen - thanks a bunch for arranging all this, and for making this all a very fun experience. I'm sure the other passengers on the plane ride home were glad you let me take a shower - it was getting bad

fo_d & shaddup - fun to meet some fellow Minnesotans - enjoy snowboarding, and I'll look forward to seeing you guys in SLC this summer (you better be going:)

hangerlessbolt - cool to finally put a face with the name, senor.. And sometime, you'll be able to do that 5.9 bouldering problem w/o worrying too much...

nikegirl - what can I say? I've seldom seen such a bundle of energy in someone - looking forward to sometime I come drag Al to the gym in Portland..

addiroids & fiancee & friend - I don't think I'll ever forget the morning trumpeteer from addiroids as he rolled up to the campsite.. Nor the "firy" comments from the girls at the campfire the evening before... Med students are weird

jeepmonkey - you might've been the granddad of the group, but that just means you have more interesting stories to tell...

meadors, Troy, Carrie, toobigtoclimb and all the others who'se names I'm having a hard time remembering... It was way cool to meet you all, and I sincerely hope we all get to meet sometime again..

And, yeah - I'll be getting my pictures on friday.. wooo hoo

- d.

hangerlessbolt

Jan 15, 2002, 8:24 PM
Post #16 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I couldn't get out until Saturday and only stayed for the day...But DAMN what a day it was.
I practically live in Josh on the weekends during the winter and I haven't had that much fun in a long time.
I had a quick breakfast at the Country Kitchen and headed in to meet everyone.
My bro, "toobigtoclimb" was just pulling in as I arrived.
We got introduced then headed over to Hemmingway.
Adam led some routes to get TR's setup. I hauled up Dung Fu with Nikegirl on belay. Upon reaching the top, I sat up an anchor while NG cleaned. She was trailing a rope and I had no idea who was on the other end of it. I put the mystery person on belay and began taking in rope. Within no time Addiroids was up on top.
He looked familiar so I asked if climbed at Tahquitz, he answered yes. I asked if was a med student, he turned and looked at me for a second and asked, "Do I know you?" Turns out he and I met last year on adjacent routes about three pitches up. Small world.
Anyway, I coiled the 2 extra ropes and we rapped off.
I got a fun route in on TR…overseer direct…(Thanks Adam)
We had some lunch, took some group photos and headed over to do some bouldering. (By the way, I look much better in low resolution!)
You would’ve had to be there to get the whole bouldering vibe. It was way cool. Don’t let Adam’s modest demeanor fool you…the dude climbs like a freakin’ animal.
We all watched the incredible sunset…a beautiful mix of reds, purples, oranges, pinks, and blues…one of the best that I’ve seen.
Later on we hung around the campfire. Karen made a serious noodle dish that was to die for. Adam and the gang played some fun rounds of Bop-It Extreme…
Unfortunately the time to leave came way too soon. But I have memories of that day that I will carry throughout my lifetime…

eclarke98

Jan 15, 2002, 9:42 PM
Post #17 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well this is sort of funny. I was actually out at J-Tree for part of last week and the weekend but I wasn't even aware that people from RC.com were meeting out there. I staying in Indian Cove and climbed around there which was great because there was no wind at all. On Friday I drove over to Hidden Valley to see if there was a spot at the campground and I saw a little cardboard sign at one of the sites that said 'RC.com' but no one was around so I just kept on driving. But I'm glad to hear that you all had a great time, it was my first time out there and it was awesome.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 15, 2002, 9:53 PM
Post #18 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude... I'm VERY sorry we missed you.

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Jan 16, 2002, 6:18 AM
Post #19 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This really is amazing. I have a big imagination and always tried to think big with RC.com, but to see this is truly inspirational! It's pretty cool to see the power of the Internet. Everyone adds a little bit here and a little bit there and before you know it there is this totally awesome resource that helps climbers worldwide. I'd love to take the credit for this, but I'm just a coder. I put up some some code a long time ago, and you guys (and girls) have done this yourselves. I'd like to mention the people who have made this all happen, but you already know who they are because they're on the Contributors page. It really is a group effort and thanks to everyone who dives in and gets involved.

Thanks, Trevor
...just a guy with a really fun dream

floof

Jan 16, 2002, 7:19 AM
Post #20 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My story is just like eclark98. I was at JTree for New Years, stayed at Indian Cove (enjoyed the lack of wind) and saw the rc.com sign while scouting out other campsites. It didn't click until I saw this thread after I returned in January. I wish I could have met up with guys but there will be other chances. I echo Trevor's sentiment about how rc.com is a great community of like-minded people and want to thank him for his work setting it up. And to congratulate him on his new child. Thanks guys. I've been learning a lot on this site. The best thing I've learned is that there is so much more to learn, but there are plenty of people that will help.

- John

Partner sauron

Jan 21, 2002, 5:07 PM
Post #21 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, so the pictures are starting to trickle in.. I've got about 50 of 'dem things, so it'll take me a while to get the good ones sorted out and submitted, but enjoy what's already there, and stay tuned for more...

Photo Album from Joshua Tree

- d.

[ This Message was edited by: sauron on 2002-01-21 09:08 ]

squeeks

Jan 25, 2002, 3:43 AM
Post #22 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nikegirl is darn right 'squeeks' is taken! its all mine. been my nickname for too long now.

it really sounds like lots of us missed out on this one. i really cant wait for UTAH now. see you all then, hopefully.

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 1, 2002, 1:09 AM
Post #23 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome aboard Troy, ummm, tortoise.

Hope you are enjoying the bootleg Pink Floyd tape I gave you, and look forward to meeting up with you in your soon to be new home in New Mexico. You gotta show me around Taos.

~Adam

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 17, 2002, 12:25 AM
Post #24 of 24 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Added group photos to my original report on page 1, and did a little reminissing.

rrrADAM

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook