RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

verticallaw

Jul 9, 2003, 9:01 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Making my haulbag ... any tips
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so I have decided to make my own haulbag(s) mostley because I am cheap but also for the experiance. Does anyone have any blueprints or designs that they used, material suggestions, or pro's and con's of their bag that they would like to share?? Any help ios greatly apreciated.

Cheers
Mike

glockaroo

Jul 10, 2003, 1:12 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Re: Making my haulbag ... any tips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a tip: save all your pocket change and lunch money from now on. This will start your fund to buy a real haulbag after your homemade one spills your gear all over the wall. Don't forget to budget for a few boxes of Kleenex to wipe the buckets of tears you'll cry when it happens.

In all seriousness, if you're really short on cash, hang around and buy a used bag from someone "retiring" from walls. You can often score barely used, if at all used, bags this way.

epic_ed

Jul 10, 2003, 2:41 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on the buying used. That certainly one piece of equipment I'd look for on eBay. They pop up now and then. I'm fairly certain the industrial type of sewing equipment necessary to make bomber stitching is beyond what your willing to invest. But if not, PM Russ for some tips. Hell, he's used to having someone steal his designs. :roll: Come to think of it, that's probably a sore topic with him. Buy him a beer or two:

http://www.fishproducts.com/

He might start talking.

Ed

timstich

Jul 11, 2003, 1:27 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of haul bags, I have some bags that are made of heavy PVC coated nylon. Unfortunately they don't wear well. They aren't dry bags, incidentally. They are caving gear bags. Just curious, but does anyone know the type material used in beefy, abrasion resistent haul bags? What's the material weight? Yeah, yeah. I can e-mail Russ.

I just wanted to see if you knew, and you do. Don't you? Assssssshhhoooooooole!

So what Dirty Harry film is that quote from?

sto

Jul 11, 2003, 1:54 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say just buy the Fish budget bag and be done with it and save yourself a potentially very painful experience. It's like a hundred bucks. Or if you are actively seeking discomfort do what the old hard guys did and just use an old heavy canvas mail bag which doubles as a bivy sack (cf. El Capitan video)!

timstich

Jul 11, 2003, 2:34 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I say just buy the Fish budget bag and be done with it and save yourself a potentially very painful experience. It's like a hundred bucks. Or if you are actively seeking discomfort do what the old hard guys did and just use an old heavy canvas mail bag which doubles as a bivy sack (cf. El Capitan video)!

Agreed. I would jug with the fishes. It takes major sewing machines or hand stitchers to work the kinds of materials to make a decent haul bag.

-Stich

apollodorus

Jul 11, 2003, 3:34 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The good haul bags these days are made from urethane coated nylon, and the major seams are RF welded, the same way they make those Sevylor inflatable boats. A 20-30 kHz radio wave at about 10 kW is sent through the material at a seam-shaped electrode. The plastic coating melts, but not the nylon (only polar molecules undergo heating from the RF signal).

You can sew up a bag from heavy, heavy nylon ballistics cloth on a regular machine, and then coat it with urethane. Goldenwest (www.goldenwestmfg.com) sells a 2-part rubbery urethane (Flex-cast 50) that mixes like epoxy and produces an abrasion resistant and very tough plastic. You can mix up a small batch, paint it on while it's still workable, and then more batches until the bag is covered. I used this stuff on my Blue Whale, and it stood up to 3 walls (2 on the SW face of El Cap) without any problems.

Pay attention to the straps you use to carry the thing up to the wall. If the pig is difficult to carry, you'll hate using it.

beyond_gravity

Jul 11, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could you just use paddeling drybags??

$25 for a 55L bag can't be beat.

I'd imagine you could sew two pieces of webbing around the bag and hang it off that. I don't see how that wouldn't work.

What about using an old backpacking backpack? You could sew webbing onto it the same way so it hangs properly, then make some kind of heavy cloth bag with a drawstring that you can put over that backpack.

timstich

Jul 11, 2003, 4:07 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Could you just use paddeling drybags??

$25 for a 55L bag can't be beat.

Puting the drybag inside an real sturdy duff with few straps might work. It worked for me on a long caving venture that required rope hauling and extensive pack dragging. The drybag kept the load dry and the pack took the beating.

brutusofwyde

Jul 11, 2003, 5:16 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

BZZZZZT.

It's not a Dirty Harry film. Johnathan Hemlock, to Freitag, while on the North Wall of the Eiger, while Big Ben Bowman and Jemima Brown hang around at the Kleine Scheidig Hotel in Grindelwald.

Wet Work.
Wet Work.
Vet Verk.

Yerassis Dragon.

Miles Mellough.

timstich

Jul 11, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

BZZZZZT.

It's not a Dirty Harry film. Johnathan Hemlock, to Freitag, while on the North Wall of the Eiger, while Big Ben Bowman and Jemima Brown hang around at the Kleine Scheidig Hotel in Grindelwald.

Wet Work.
Wet Work.
Vet Verk.

Yerassis Dragon.

Miles Mellough.

Negative.

Said line is from Dirty Harry film "Magnum Force." DH is tailing some mob guys in a car and acts like a lost motorist. "Uh excuse me sir. We're lost and were wondering if you knew how to get to San Quinton."

"Yeah it's back there buddy. Don't you see too good?"

"Yeah I see fine. I just wanted to know if you knew where San Quinton was and you do. Don't you? Assssshoooooole."

DH peels out.

atg200

Jul 11, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

let me know when and where you try that jeremy, and make sure your rack is inside the bag. i still need some more gear to replenish what got stolen when my car was broken in to :)

cedk

Jul 11, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First make a chalk bag.

Now make another one that looks exactly the same from the same material only 40 times bigger.
It won't be very functional but think how coordinated you'll look.

Or how about this? A garbage bag and 100 rolls of duct tape.

Were you looking for good suggestions or just suggestions?

brutusofwyde

Jul 13, 2003, 4:04 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
DH peels out.

:oops:

So much for my "make your own haul bag" advice.

Seriously, I did a home-made haul bag back when they weren't commercially available. The real issue is not making the bag, but coming up with a durable, comfortable suspension system for carrying the durned thing.

Brutus

apollodorus

Jul 13, 2003, 5:39 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The real issue is not making the bag, but coming up with a durable, comfortable suspension system for carrying the durned thing.
Brutus

Listen to the Master. The carrying straps are crucial.

I scaled up a grade V-sized bag when I made my gigantic Blue Whale (at 18,000 cubic inches, it exceeds the UIAA's definition of a pig). But, I didn't think to maintain the dimensions of the suspension straps. As a result, the shoulder straps attach to the bag way too high, the Whale rides way too low and is nearly impossible to carry if heavily loaded. I am going to fix the straps to be more like the excellent Metolious system.

Another thing to think about is putting a nice, tall collar of lighter, waterproof material at the top. That way, you can overstuff the bag, or tie the collar shut to keep the rain out.

Don't forget to put drain holes in the bottom.

reno

Jul 13, 2003, 12:33 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Five-gallon plastic bucket with straps tied on?

Cheap, durable, and available at any hardware store. Sure, you'd need a lot of them, but if you're into saving money, this is an option....

oudinardin

Jul 13, 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buckets are cool. Plus you can wash up in them. It's awesome. Brank........ Ooooh....that'll leave a stain.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook