Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering in Greece
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jabtocrag

Jul 11, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #1 of 10 (16256 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering in Greece  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Front_Range: Matthew_Winters_Park: Fifty_Egg_Boulder)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, My girl and I are taking a cruise at the end of this month and the ship has some scheduled port stops at some of the Greek Isles. Specifically:

Corfu
Santorini
Rhodes
Athens/Piraeus

I could use a little beta on some good places to boulder at some of the islands. As for level of bouldering...V4 and below!!

Thanx.
Justin

vertical_planar

Jul 11, 2003, 5:55 PM
Post #2 of 10 (16254 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering in Greece [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmmmmm
Not much bouldering in the islands you mentioned as far as I know. Bouldering is not very developed in Greece. :?
This means LOTS of rock waiting to be discovered but not much of it organised.
Lets see...

Corfu-I have no idea, never being there. However there are thousands of Brtis visiting each year. Almost certainly there will be something to play with.

Rhodes. Some really good single-pitch rock climbing freshly established. Check the Greece section on the site. I think there is a link. No bouldering

Santorini. As your ship enters the port you will loose your breath by the vertical walls rising in all directions. Too bad its loose volcanic rock impossible to climb. However, lots of good staff in the mainland and near some beaches. No bouldering again

Athens. LOTS of crags for sport and trad, some really really good. I personally know of only one bouldering site in Athens (check my photo gallery). Bad thing is that it will be like an hour trip from Pireas with no traffic (with traffic-forget it) and quite hard to find.

When are you coming? I ll be in Athens from 15 to 21 July. Happy to help if I can. PM me if you have more questions

westcoastvert

Jul 11, 2003, 6:23 PM
Post #3 of 10 (16254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring your shoes and chalkbag... A baithing suit and a sense of adventure. The islands are covered with rocks... You'll find something.

I for one took a boat out to a rock island in Corfu where you could climb safely over the water for 30-40 feet. Crystal clear water, blue skys, and warm sun on beautiful rock. The locals know about the rock but it's probably on the oposite side of the island in relation to where your cruise ship will dock. I don't know that you'll have enough time to find it.

Rent a scooter so you can get there!

jabtocrag

Jul 14, 2003, 2:43 PM
Post #4 of 10 (16254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx for the info...we'll probably just bring some shoes and if we come across anything, jump on it :D

antigrav

Apr 13, 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #5 of 10 (16254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anybody have anything to add to this thread? I'm going to Santorini for a few days, for work (yeah, ubelievable, I know... :) ) and wonder if I should bring my shoes. Guess I will, but perhaps leave the chalk at home. Don't want any problems with "white powder" on the flights...

moba

Apr 20, 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #6 of 10 (13711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jabtocrag] Bouldering in Greece [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I'm also goin to Santorini for two weeks.
I've been trying to search for some info about rock climbing over there but i can't find any.. does anybody know if there are any routs?

jaablink

Apr 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #7 of 10 (13695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jabtocrag] Bouldering in Greece [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Symi and Kalymnos are just above Rhodes. You should make a stop there… There is rock all over the islands. Some is good quality, but much is not… and most if not all of it needs to be developed…
There are developed boldering crags outside Athens. it is nice out and I am out the door now , have a wall go to climb….good luck and have a great time.... Mayby Jim Titt can give you more info on some good spots….

JimTitt

Apr 20, 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #8 of 10 (13688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moba] Bouldering in Greece [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As noted above, Santorini is a heap of volcanic rubble. Anyway the walk up to the town from the harbour is enough for most people!
Tinos is the hot spot for bouldering but there are bits of rock everywhere in Greece to play for an afternoon. I´m not a boulderer though so haven´t a clue really!

moba

Jul 26, 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #9 of 10 (13243 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Santorini - found it! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just so you all know:
There are two new climbing areas in santorini (i guess that's why it was hard finding any info. about it). one in Kamari and the other one in Perissa. The one on the Kamari-side is 5 sectors with about 10-15 sport climbing routes. In perissa there are two sectors, with a total of about 20 routes... So now there's allot of climbing to do over there Laugh

Didn't get the chance to climb so much though! Frown

kevsiv

Mar 20, 2013, 2:35 PM
Post #10 of 10 (8858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moba] Climbing Santorini - found it! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi
Going to be in Kalami, Corfu soon.
Does anyone know of any routes for Solo climbing over water or boldouring in the area?
Thanks

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook