Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #1 of 43 (14026 views)
Shortcut

Yoga vs. Pilates
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed that I have lost a lot of flexibilty since I started climbing and have decided to start doing either Yoga or Pilates. I have signed up for Yoga on Monday's and Pilates on Thursday's. I thought I would give them both a try. Wanted to get some opinions from other climbers about either one. Most climbers I know go on and on about Yoga. I've done it before, years ago, plan and starting from ground zero. But I have a couple of friends that do Pilates and the results I've seen on them are truely incredible.

Thanks!

(I also posted in the Ladies Forum)

drkodos

Jun 6, 2003, 8:47 PM
Post #2 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yoga vs. Pilates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Absolute BS......

You can't buy flexibilty. If you want to stretch, sit in your house and stretch.....

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 8:55 PM
Post #3 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geez - your response makes me really happy I also posted in the ladies forum. I do sit in my house and stretch and it's obviously not enough. Save your lame remarks. I'm actually seeking some helpful opinions.

drkodos

Jun 6, 2003, 8:57 PM
Post #4 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is helpful. Save your money.

Don't ask for opinions, when all you really want is a confirmation.

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #5 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm kill filing you - every post I have ever read of yours is really negative and bitter. You don't want anyone to play in your backyard. Bye Bye

thrillseeker05

Jun 6, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #6 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don’t get too angry with the above post, it actually is the best advice since to gain flexibility is to just do it and save your money…

Back to your point though, I have done yoga (depends on what one you’re talking about) the hot yoga I favored since the heat helps you push the flexibility a bit more. Pilates is good stuff too since it does more for your abs and back. Many climbers don’t realize how much you pull with your abs. Anyhow they are both two different things. Doing them all would make for a well rounded routine coupled with climbing as well as some jogs, but if you are asking to choose from one and only one.. I would go with the hot yoga. It not only deals with strength and flexibility but I also found that holding a move for a long period of time REALY helps with your focus and balance.

If you can, alternate between both.

Peace

hooker

Jun 6, 2003, 9:07 PM
Post #7 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, although I tend to disagree with my "good friend" drkodos quite often, his posts are many times right on the mark.

True, he many times comes off as antagonistic, but more than a lot of his posts are very helpful and informative. Heck, he is actually one of the few people here that have actually apologized! to people here...

Also, why bother to even respond if you don't like? Why bother to tell him you kill filled.

Just Do It, sister!

The fact that you chose to post in any forum gives anyone the right to comment.

I have to agree that it seems that you are really looking for re-inforcement of your opinion rather than a true opinion.

As a person that has tried Pilates, I found that it was nothing more than a social gathering. If that's what you want, go for it.

There is a very good book called "Strectching" that is carried by most major book distributers. Check it out, it is excellent.

Is that more helpful?

drkodos

Jun 6, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #8 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Geez, I'm heartbroken to be killfiled by someone ....... :cry:

Learn to deal with people that have diverse and different opinions; or are you just one of the new American Liberals that only thinks that people that agree with them are allowed to voice their opinion.

You specifically stated you wanted opinions, and then you get one and proceed to launch an ad hominem attack, calling my opinion lame.

I attack ideas, not people. Yes I may attack your idea, but I try not to attack YOU. In the few instances I have lowered to ad hominem attacks, I have retracted my statements and issued apologies.

Do you have the same largesse?

maiorlive

Jun 6, 2003, 9:30 PM
Post #9 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FWIW, I think that the effectiveness of your training will have less to do with the qualities of Pilates vs. Yoga as disciplines of study than with the qualities of your Pilates instructor vs. your Yoga instructor. I haven’t studied either, but I’ve met many dozens of students of Yoga and several Pilates students. (I study Taiji and Taiji students in these parts tend to cross train into flexibility disciplines.)

IMO, based upon talking to students of both disciplines, Yoga tends slightly more towards the meditative and metaphysical while Pilates tends more towards the atheletic – dance or gymnastics style rather than football. However, I’ve met students whose Pilates instructors emphasize the internal mental, emotional and spiritual benefits of the discipline, and the western influence on Yoga has certainly been an athletic one in general (less polite commentators suggest “materialistic” is a better description of western Yoga practice). So if you want flexibility alone and don't care to work on your mental focus (e.g. fear management tools), a Pilates instructor is likely a better fit.

BTW, you guys are over reacting and using up space doing so. (No one should care though, because killfiles were designed to manage space waste, right?)

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 9:31 PM
Post #10 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is so much negative crap that is thrown around on these forums. I just wanted some advice, comments on experience, etc...

thrillseeker05 - thanks for sharing your experience. I do want more than just flexibilty. I don't think I'm very strong and would definately benefit from anything at all that would help out my core strength. There is a Bikram Yoga place near me. Maybe I'll give it a try as well. I've heard lot's of cons from non-climbers, but your reasons for choosing it over the others seems logical. My boyfriend has been bugging me to start jogging with him once in a while. I'm the scrawny girl who did the mile in 20 minutes in high school 'cause I had to stop every 50 feet to try to stop hyperventilating. I've been climbing, hiking and mountain biking a lot lately so I should be able to join him now.

Hooker - Thanks for the book recommendation, I will check it out next time I am in a bookstore. I hope the pilates class I'm signing up for is more productive than social, but I will certainly keep your comment in mind.

bontrager

Jun 6, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #11 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having done both I believe that Pilates offers more to any active person since it teaches the muscles to be flexible while being dynamic. Yoga emphasis is on relaxation to achieve positions which fails to add to someone's body tension when climbing.

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 9:43 PM
Post #12 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bontrager and maiorlive -

It's amzing how few people I know that climb that do pilates, they all do yoga. Thanks for your words. I agree that Pilates will be great for strength building and one of the main reasons I am apprehensive about yoga is the whole medatative aspect of it. I think it is a great reason to do it but that would not be my reason. Good advice though to pay attention to the teachers and their methods. I live in LA so I may get a mantra chanting pilates instructor first time around.

ezjay40

Jun 6, 2003, 9:54 PM
Post #13 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never tried pilates but I have been doing yoga for three yrs. now and it has improved my balance and flexibility a great deal. It will even help with ur strength , like holding a pose for several mins. u will feel the burn

Now you may need to try different teacher to find the one u like .

Hope this helps enjoy!

olive

Jun 6, 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #14 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi,
I have only done yoga so I cannot compare it to Pilates, which to me looks like it would be really useful to strengthen the back and the abs and help core strength.
However, I have to say that yoga helped me with flexibility but also with balance and strength. I definitely felt my back, abs and arms getting stronger. It might depend on what kind of yoga you do, and how your instructor is but in my experience I would disagree with bontrager's statement
In reply to:
Having done both I believe that Pilates offers more to any active person since it teaches the muscles to be flexible while being dynamic. Yoga emphasis is on relaxation to achieve positions which fails to add to someone's body tension when climbing.

In yoga, too, you have to be able to stay in positions, that is, you have to use your strength and contract your muscles as you are in a flexed position. Then, you have to be able to relax in that position which I think translates greatly to climbing (think of yourself being streched to your limit in a stemming position; you have to be able to use your strength - but it would be really helpful if you can be relaxed and focused to find that nut or cam or whatever you need...)

Anyway, if you have time, do both, and run, and climb! That would be great. I just dont have time to do enough of all.

loinclothman

Jun 6, 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #15 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My GF is a competitive distance runner and has tried both yoga and pilates and loves pilates for the strength benefits it gives in addition to the flexibility which is necessary for a runner to stay uninjured.

bontrager

Jun 6, 2003, 11:44 PM
Post #16 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I have to elaborate my post a bit more for those who might have mis understood. The reason I believe Pilates is more suited for Climbing than yoga is the way it trains the muscles to work in a coordinated fashion while under tension and in movement. You never achieve a position in Pilates like in Yoga, instead you fire of your muscles so that the contractions and releases produce a cycle where your weaknesses are revealed and strengthened. Climbing is dynamic and while both methods serve there purpose if I was to concentrate on one only for physical strength, I would choose Pilates. For focusing and relaxation prior to climbing then Yoga kicks ass. Have any of you thought of ballet?

Partner one900johnnyk

Jun 7, 2003, 8:26 PM
Post #17 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you'll never see my heterosexual southern ass doing either of these things but from what i understand - assuming the aim of pilates is met - pilates is the better option for climbing, esp. if you're trying to increase your core strength, climb overhangs, etc... i lived right next to a pilates center. but how about this. think outside the box. do both

osho

Jun 7, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #18 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Learn to deal with people that have diverse and different opinions; or are you just one of the new American Liberals that only thinks that people that agree with them are allowed to voice their opinion.

:roll: So who is an American Liberal to you?? And what exactly does the term mean to you?? :

When I hear liberal my thoughts still go to the dictionary definition of the word... of particular note to your comment is 1 (b).
    Liberal
    a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
    c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
So when you want to use terms out of their traditional meanings please try and explain a bit more, otherwise you just don't make sense. So I take it that you believe that these "new American Liberals" (whoever they are) are not very liberal??

or did someone just brainwash you into thinking Liberal is a dirty word?

Partner coldclimb

Jun 7, 2003, 10:28 PM
Post #19 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go the cheap way here too. Money is precious to me, so I'd never blow it on paying someone so I can stretch with them. As far as which is better, I dunno. ;)

grigriese

Jun 9, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #20 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The reason I believe Pilates is more suited for Climbing than yoga is the way it trains the muscles to work in a coordinated fashion while under tension and in movement. You never achieve a position in Pilates like in Yoga, instead you fire of your muscles so that the contractions and releases produce a cycle where your weaknesses are revealed and strengthened. Climbing is dynamic and while both methods serve there purpose if I was to concentrate on one only for physical strength

After a little more research and the helpful posts on this forum I tend to agree with bontrager that Pilates may be better suited for climbing. Core strength and training muscles for dynamic moves certainly can’t hurt this girl, I suck on overhanging climbs and hesitate on dynamic moves, especially if I’m even a little tired. I also can't see spending lots of cash on both so I have decided to take pilates classes once a week for a month, mat work only, learn the exercises than work on doing them on my own - then maybe take a class every once in a while to make sure I'm doing everything properly. I've been doing some yoga poses/stretches on my own and I definitely have noticed an improvement in just the few days since I first posted this forum. I have a friend who teaches yoga, so I going to bug him to show me some stuff that I can also do on my own.

Your posts have a been really helpful. Thanks!

overlord

Jun 9, 2003, 8:18 PM
Post #21 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed that I have lost a lot of flexibilty since I started climbing and have decided to start doing either Yoga or Pilates. I have signed up for Yoga on Monday's and Pilates on Thursday's. I thought I would give them both a try. Wanted to get some opinions from other climbers about either one. Most climbers I know go on and on about Yoga. I've done it before, years ago, plan and starting from ground zero. But I have a couple of friends that do Pilates and the results I've seen on them are truely incredible.

Thanks!

(I also posted in the Ladies Forum)

how could you loose flexibility with climbing. i found out mine has improved (but it COULD be because i stretch before and after climbing :?: :idea: :?: )

for flexibiliti i would choose pure joga, but pilates if you want to work a little less on flexibility and a little more on core strenght.

angelaa

Jun 9, 2003, 8:49 PM
Post #22 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly I think they are both a great benefit to climbing.
I have not however found a Yoga class that I am willing to pay full price for, so I bought a series of tapes (beginning, endurance, meditation, strength, & balance) they kick arse!!!
Anyway I prefer a Pilates class because it is VERY difficult and paying for the class makes me go more often and not find excuses not to do it.

I have found that Yoga is better for flexability (good for high steppin') and Pilates is better for core strenght (for those over hangs)

really do them both and stick with them both . . they will help you more than you think!!!

grigriese

Jun 12, 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #23 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how could you loose flexibility with climbing. i found out mine has improved (but it COULD be because i stretch before and after climbing :?: :idea: :?: )

I was never really that active before, snow boarding and rollerblading on occasion. Now I rock-climb and mountain bike on a pretty regular basis 4-5 days a week. I have some muscles now that I don't think were ever really developed before. I had always been very flexible; splits, back walkovers, back bends, palms to the ground, legs behind my head - no problem. Since I started climbing I can't do any of it anymore. I tried to do a back bend last night and I thought I was going to fall on my head, I used to be able to 5 back walkovers in a row. Maybe I'm just getting old. ;)

bouldersdothebodygood

Jul 14, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #24 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personaly i like pilates. it helps alot with core strength which is very important for climbing. It also helps with control which is mainly what yoga dose. pilates seems to give the best of both worlds but that is just my opinion. take it or leave it.

climbinggirl33

Jul 14, 2003, 5:16 AM
Post #25 of 43 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do both - and they have different effects on my body. If your goal is increased flexibility go with yoga . . .in fact, I always do a little yoga after pilates to stretch myself out after keeping my core so rigid.

I'd suggest trying a few mat workouts at home with a video or two to decide what you want to pursue (or go with both). I take classes now and then for variety and to check my form - but primarily practice at home. To get out I go climb :D

Good luck

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook