Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Alternate Approach for Lone Peak
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

saltlaketrails

Jul 19, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #1 of 3 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Alternate Approach for Lone Peak  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Lone_Peak_Cirque)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently mapped out an alternate approach that saves you from the steep looseness of the Jacob's Ladder Trail or the Alpine approach. The route is probably a bit longer, but more enjoyable, scenic, and environmentally repsonsible. It starts up the Cherry Canyon trail from Draper and eventually joins the top part of the Draper Ridge Trail. You can find detailed information, maps, and elevation profiles at www.saltlaketrails.com/trails

dig_scott

Jul 20, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #2 of 3 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alternate Approach for Lone Peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the link isnt working, or at least for me.

granitegod

Jul 21, 2003, 8:44 AM
Post #3 of 3 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alternate Approach for Lone Peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just type in address for www.saltlaketrails.com.....and see link to Lone Peak

Update: We hiked this trail to the cirque on 7/15/05.
1. Trailhead is easy to find in Draper (from I-15, take 12300 S exit, east to 1300 E, South 1 block, then East on Pioneer Rd. at the Roundabout, go east to 2000 E., turn right, the trail head parking on left after the houses, at the gate to Corner Canyon road (closed)). Hey Draper, pave that trailhead and make it permanent, before someone builds a house on it!

2. Trail faint/missing near intersection. Using the Salt Lake Trails Map for Cherry Canyon, we found confusion at the spot on the map where the Cherry Cyn, Bear Cyn. and Draper Connector Trails meet. In short, the yellow line on the map is NOT A TRAIL at the intersection. However, with a VERY SHORT bushwhack, followed by easy meadow hiking, you can and SHOULD follow the yellow line route to the Draper Ridge where you WILL meet the trail. I would advise you NOT to follow the trail that curves southwest from the cairn at the intersection; you will lose elevation; then you will undoubtedly try to bushwhack from this trail up to the ridge...A MISTAKE!

3. Bear Canyon Spring: a convenient water fill up for those continuing to the cirque. Flat trail from the intersection, less than 10 minutes each way if you leave your pack at the juntion and just take your filter and water bottles. Worth the time as opposed to hauling an extra gallon of water!

4. In general, this trail is pretty good, though some erosion, made worse by horse hoofage, is creating narrow "troughs"....tricky and rough on knees when descending the 5000+ feet from the cirque with heavy packs. Better than the Jacob's ladder trail though...and overall not as steep as the Alpine approach. The downside to this trail is it's length and extra vertical to make it to the cirque, potential for getting off route in the middle.

Access to trailheads in Corner Canyon (Jacob's Ladder) must be reached from Suncrest Road as of 7/15/05 the Corner Canyon Rd is closed.

The Alpine Approach has gotten more grueling in recent years, due to the closure of the road to the First Hammongog, even to hikers. Longer drive for Salt Lakers, too.

In the future: I'll stick with the Alpine Approach.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook