RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

texasclimber

Jul 24, 2003, 2:34 PM
Post #1 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Access Issue In Utah!!! Help!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you have read the editorial in the new CLIMBING (September issue)t I am talking about. secretary of the Interior has opened areas such as Fisher Towers, Castleton Tower, and other areas northeast of Moab. I know that this is information many people already know about. The reason I am starting this thread is for help from the climbing community. Here are the emails of those involved. Please email or snail mail them. Access is an important issue for us climbers, lets come together and make a difference in how our landscape looks where we climb!

Gale Norton, Secretary
Department of the Interior
1849 C Street
Washington, DC 20240
gale_norton@doi.gov

Mike Leavitt, Governor
State of Utah
210 State Capitol
Salt Lake City, UT 84114

Kathleen Clarke, Director
Bureau of Land Managment
1849 C Street
Washington, DC 20240
kathleen_clarke@doi.gov

Brent Gardner, Executive Director
Utah Association of Countries
5397 South Vine Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84107
bgardner@uacnet.org

Chris Cannon, Chairman
Western Caucus
118 Cannon
House Office Buailding
Washington, DC 20515

Ruland Gill, Chairman
State Trust Lands Administration
675 East 500 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
cannon.ut03@mail.house.gov

Please mke a difference and email a few people to keep climbing possible in this region!

killclimbz

Jul 24, 2003, 2:51 PM
Post #2 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Re: Access Issue In Utah!!! Help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am aware of some of the issues but I have yet to pick up the new climbing mag (if I even bother, I find both major mags highly boring these days). You should post what the issues exactly are so that we can taylor our e-mails to these people appropriately.

mother_sheep

Jul 24, 2003, 2:52 PM
Post #3 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a great initiative to help save Castleton:

http://climbingboulder.com/...sues/castleton_.html

texasclimber

Jul 24, 2003, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

This is a seperate issue. I am refering to the state allowing oil and mining to develope and explore the area. This will entail tearing up land to find these natural resources. Please email them to show your opposition to such development. Here is what I wrote, feel free to use it or something like it.

Hello, my name is __________ and I am contacting you in opposition of opening lands northeast of Moab, UT to oil and mining development. As an outdoorsman who likes to spend his vacation time in Utah, having such development in the area will force me to go somewhere else to spend my tourist dollars. Not only will this oil and mining development destroy the beautiful, natural scenery that Utah has to offer, but it will drive away revenue that the state will forever benefit from. Oil and mining might make a few bucks now, and destroy the landscape in the process, but will eventually be depleted. Tourism is sustained revenue that will continue to bring in money to Utah if you just leave the landscape alone, all while keeping Utah special and keep American citizens happy. Please don’t open these lands up for development, it is the only place of enjoyment that some of us voters have left.

mother_sheep

Jul 24, 2003, 3:11 PM
Post #5 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

This is a seperate issue. I am refering to the state allowing oil and mining to develope and explore the area. This will entail tearing up land to find these natural resources. Please email them to show your opposition to such development. Here is what I wrote, feel free to use it or something like it.

Hello, my name is __________ and I am contacting you in opposition of opening lands northeast of Moab, UT to oil and mining development. As an outdoorsman who likes to spend his vacation time in Utah, having such development in the area will force me to go somewhere else to spend my tourist dollars. Not only will this oil and mining development destroy the beautiful, natural scenery that Utah has to offer, but it will drive away revenue that the state will forever benefit from. Oil and mining might make a few bucks now, and destroy the landscape in the process, but will eventually be depleted. Tourism is sustained revenue that will continue to bring in money to Utah if you just leave the landscape alone, all while keeping Utah special and keep American citizens happy. Please don’t open these lands up for development, it is the only place of enjoyment that some of us voters have left.

Ahhhhh. Wasn't aware of that issue. Regardless, both are worthy.

texasclimber

Jul 25, 2003, 2:59 PM
Post #6 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP...PLEASE WRIE AN EMAIL!

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 25, 2003, 3:38 PM
Post #7 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved to "Access Issues & Closures" Forum.

Also made it the Topic Of The Week to get it on the Front Page, to draw more attention to it.

~Adam

texasclimber

Jul 25, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #8 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Adam for help and interest.

alpiner

Jul 25, 2003, 8:17 PM
Post #9 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am refering to the state allowing oil and mining to develope and explore the area. This will entail tearing up land to find these natural resources. Please email them to show your opposition to such development. Here is what I wrote, feel free to use it or something like it.

Don't read the rags anymore either. Perhaps you could elaborate. NE of Moab sounds like the Yellowcat mining district, not exactly prime climbing. From what you say here, this has nothing to do with access for climbers. It's an environmental and ethical issue. Which is worse, temporarily tearing up our own land or killing a couple thousand people for energy?

texasclimber

Jul 25, 2003, 8:34 PM
Post #10 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The editorial article did not go into specifics, but it did say this.

In reply to:
[Gale] Norton has opened many of Utha's best desert climbing areas for development amd set a precedent that bodes ill for Department of Interoir-managed wilderness throughout the country.

That is the part I am concerned about.

oudinardin

Jul 28, 2003, 5:47 AM
Post #11 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP!

texasclimber

Jul 28, 2003, 6:59 PM
Post #12 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I am kinda pissed off for 2 reasons:

1) I got back "failure to deliver Notice" on nearly all emails I sent out to those f____in' politicians! So much for them caring what we have to say. Representative democracy my ass!

2) Second, I am kinda pissed that no one else has posted about this same notice, which tells me that no one has written anyone about this issue!!!

I don't get it! We are climbers. We care about preserving this land more than anyone and just because it isn't your local crag doesn't mean that it doesn't effect you. Why not have as many places to climb as possible? Don't you take trips? Vacations? If we don't look after this issue, who is going to? Stop this greedy oil and mining development now before it si too late. I am going to try to find the alternative emails to these damn people. In the mean time, why not get a petition going and pin it up at your local climbing wall with a pen next to it! Help yourself and the rest of us climber!

oudinardin

Jul 29, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #13 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump... This is Bullsh!t....man.

moabbeth

Jul 29, 2003, 4:27 AM
Post #14 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've posted on this issue before texasclimber. It gets moved to access forum most of the time. The access issue at the base of Castleton Tower was a really serious one for me, that area is such a special place. I donated part of my tax return last year to the cause. And now it's been saved!! So one battle won, but still more to go.

http://www.utahopenlands.org/

Good site for access issues in that area. As you can see by my name, it's a very important place to me.

oudinardin

Jul 29, 2003, 4:31 AM
Post #15 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks beth. I agree.

andy_lemon

Jul 29, 2003, 6:51 AM
Post #16 of 16 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We donated money...

Thanks to George Hurley for coming to Vertical eXcape Climbing Gym in Evansville Indiana and giving a slide show on "Early Desert Climbs". With the descent size crowd, a 5 dollar cover, and a huge gear raffel... we donated over $300 to the access fund that goes directly towards buying Castelton Tower. If you haven't seen George Hurley's slide show then please do. It is deffinately worth every minute.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook