RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

melonhead

Jul 29, 2003, 6:26 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Trout in the Merced
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This may not be the right forum for this, but I figure Wall climbers would know more about this then others. Simple question. Can you fish in the Merced River in the Valley?

Thanks,
Melon
:D

hallm

Jul 29, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trout in the Merced [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, but I believe you need a license.

dsafanda

Jul 29, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What part of the Merced? I'll assume you mean the stretch that runs through the Valley. Sure, with a standard CA liscense you can fish those waters but I don't think the fishing is very good from what I've heard. Farther down after it leaves the Park I think it improves.

rcaret

Jul 29, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes you can and you do need a licence, The fishing is always better at the higher lakes and streams , Climb around courtright all day and fish the lake in the evening ! Big Berman browns !!!!!!

sneville

Jul 29, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes you need a CA fishing license. I was there last year and fly fished the merced right across from the parking area where everyone watches the people on El Cap. I caught a bunch of nice rainbows. Good luck.

melonhead

Jul 29, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awsome! Thanks guys. What a way to spend my rest days!

passthepitonspete

Jul 29, 2003, 8:50 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn. I've watched lots of people fish for trout in the Merced, but you are the first who has actually CAUGHT anything!

I'd try the rapids downstream from El Cap Meadows, and the fast water farther downstream towards the Cookie Cliff.

Just got back from a bitchin' ten-day canoe trip down the WakWayowkastic River from NE of Cochrane in northern Ontario down to Moosonee on James Bay.

I was too busy portaging and running whitewater [yee-haw! Nearly died!] to spend even close to enough time fishing. I think there are really only fish in the middle part of the river [with all the falls, rapids and portages] as the rest of the river goes dry in the summer months. Anyway, had a superb meal of thirteen-inch native speckled [brook] trout - brilliant colours, especially on the males.

Had to rush the paddling trip a bit to make my caving trip in Kentucky [Roppel Cave section of Mammoth system] last weekend, but it was worth it - we discovered and surveyed over a thousand feet of brand new passage, and still didn't reach the end! We'll be back at the end of August for another go.

Man, I sure wish I had had a bit more time to fish for those speckies, though. Will post some photos....

joshklingbeil

Jul 30, 2003, 4:40 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I seen a guy with a few nice sized trout by the bridge by El Cap Meadow.It was around noon on the 3rd of July.

cracksniffer

Jul 30, 2003, 5:55 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fishing in the valley (as well as in the Tuolumne Meadows area) isn't the best, but it's certainly legal during fishing season. Artificial lures and flies with barbless hooks are the regulation within the valley proper. You probably won't catch much unless you're a damn good fisherman, very lucky, or NOT FOLLOWING THE REGULATIONS like many people I have observed. Pretty swell location though and catching a fish doesn't have to be the point.

sixter

Jul 30, 2003, 7:15 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't fished that particular streatch of river, but my typical high Sierra river setup goes like this, a float (I prefer balsa), light split shot about a foot above a #10 hook and a salmon egg. Usually fishing is good in the early morning (hour before sunrise) and early evening (hour after sunset). I have pulled out more big trout after the other anglers head back to camp for dinner than any other time. I also had great success once in the Ownes River when some dogs were playing upstream and made the water really muddy, pulled several nice rainbows out in the few minutes of muddy water... *drooling just thinking about fresh Sierra trout*

Ok, I REALLY NEED to make a trip to the Sierras now...

billiebob

Aug 11, 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last I heard, bait was illegal in Yosemite, and you may even need barbless hooks on your lures. You also need a license, which is expensive if you're from out of state.

A few years ago, these two guys were hungry in camp 4, bought 2 hooks and 20 feet of line, baited them with cheese, walked across the street to the river, and came back with 2 2-lb gorgeous brown trout not an hour later. This was in 1995.

good luck.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook