RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

adrenalfingerflash

Sep 4, 2003, 5:26 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Give me the lowdown on Ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is Ice climbing worth the cost, or another way i am poor but live in michigan. I climb a lot but would like to do some ice in canada north of the UP. So whats up tell me the scoop and tell me what I "Really" need to do it.

elvislegs

Sep 4, 2003, 5:31 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Re: Give me the lowdown on Ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you enjoy the winter environment generally? If so , you will probably enjoy ice climbing. The gear is just like anything, save up you pennies and you will eventually be able to get what you need.

My suggestion, rent or borrow some gear and go try ice climbing with someone experienced. Then make your call.

redpoint73

Sep 4, 2003, 5:44 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It fun bashing stuff, and will give you something to do during those long Midwest winters.

You'll probably just be following or top roping for a while. Therefore, all you will really need to start are: ice tools, crampons, boots, and some good waterproof or water-resistant outerwear. You will get wet. If you have a rain shell, that will work. Some old ski pants are good to start with. It doesn't make sense to buy nice Gore-tex or softshell pants, you will just perforate them with your crampons until you get more experienced with them. You should be able to fit your harness over your winter layers, otherwise just buy something cheap and adjustable, like the BD Alpine Bod. You will need a helmet (same as your rock helmet), because ice will be falling on your head a lot. But you already have one right?

You will need layers, because you will be standing around a lot. But you're from Michigan, so I'm sure you have plenty of warm clothes! You can get by with ski gloves for a while. A helmet liner or balaclava is good on cold days. For top roping ice, you will just be using your standard rock gear (ropes, biners, webbing). Ski goggles are good when snow is flying around.

You can get crampons that fit over standard leather hiking boots. But for vertical ice, its much better to get specialized mountaineering or ice climbing boots with attachment points for crampons. These type of boots will give you better ankle support as well. Sierra Trading Post often has several models of mountaineering boots for cheap. I got mine for $99. Otherwise you might have to pay $200-300.

maldaly

Sep 4, 2003, 5:50 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice Climbing is definately worth it--but only if you like it. Generally, trad climbers like it and sport climbers don't (I know I'm going to get shit for that one). Try it first. Downwind Sports, in Marquette, MI, has a great ice fest every year where all the companies show up with the gear and you can try it out for free. Lots of good stories, parties and free beer, too.

cass

Sep 4, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Give me the lowdown on Ice

its made from water...first you have to put it in a freezer....

:roll:

chalkbag

Sep 4, 2003, 7:45 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is Ice climbing worth the cost, or another way i am poor but live in michigan. I climb a lot but would like to do some ice in canada north of the UP. So whats up tell me the scoop and tell me what I "Really" need to do it.

You can try it out on the cheap.

Instead of buying your own tools, find a top rope partner(s) with a set - you only need one pair for the two of you when on TR. Try as many different tools as you can get hold of before you commit your money. Then think if you ever plan to do alpine ice climbing, it'll affect your selection of tools as well. BTW, if you do plan on doing winter mountaineering/alpine, the boots+crampons may be very reusable there.

Can't help stressing what redpoint73 said - helmet is an absolute must on ice. Ski goggles will also help protect your eyes against all the ice your tools will release;) Buy a pair or two of waterproof skiing gloves for, say, $10/piece, they work just fine. Have an extra pair with you, they can get wet and then freeze pretty quickly.

There are places next to most popular ice climbing areas that rent tools/boots/crampons. As always, it is a good idea to rent before you buy...

pico23

Sep 4, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It fun bashing stuff, and will give you something to do during those long Midwest winters.

Good advice. Only thing is don't believe the fact that you'll ever stop ripping stuff with crampons. I've seen photos of the good climbers with patches on there gaitors and pants and other gear. It's gonna get ripped eventually. Just by some goretex fabric repair when you buy the crampons. I keep some laying around the house and it works well.

I'd recommend definitely getting a helmet liner (thin hat). I have two, windstopper and non. I can't hear a thing with the windstopper ear flaps but it's nice when it's windy. The polypro one works fine the rest of the time and I frequently wear 1-2 layers less then my partners because of the hat.

Rigid warm boots are also important. Ones that fit are best don't skimp. The liners are pretty much what you pay for and they wear out A few of the more expensive boots are significantly lighter (aside from the liner) but many are just a better liner in a similar shell. Best bet is to by a decent shell and upgrade to a custom liner in a season or two. Everything else can be found used or cheap. Your gonna upgrade everything anyway so don't worry about making the wrong purchase on tools and crampons. Even if you love a tool to death there is some cosmic force that causes you to upgrade it. Almost no one climbs with the same stuff for more then a few seasons. Get some Omega Venoms or some clearanced Axars/Rages for tools. That will set you back $200-300 at current prices. For crampons foot fangs are perfectly usable and can found for under $75. Lots of other cheap crampons out there.

Overall expect to spend $400-600 to get started provided you have a helmet, clothes, and other climbing basics. You will need a helmet and goggles and eye protection are nice. The adze tends to pop at just face height. Two hammers are fine for cragging but hammers can still remove some teeth or crack a cheek bone.

Is it worth it? Some people hate it. Some people who love it hate it. Generally the people that really love the aesthetic aspects of climbing don't like ice that much. They prefer mixed. If you just like getting out and having fun, getting to the top of something using your own protection and skills then ice can be a blast. If nothing else go a few times each winter just to do something different. People blow $80-150 a day rafting consider the ice gear will only set you back about 4-8 raft trips and you own the gear in case you ever get more into ice or mountaineering.

Good luck.

deleted
Deleted

Sep 6, 2003, 2:49 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:1475f23da6="maldaly"]Ice Climbing is definately worth it--but only if you like it.[/quote:1475f23da6]

jeesus, malcomb, is that the best you can do!!?? i mean, we're talking about a potential customer here, fer cryin' out loud!

tell him how ice climbers get laid by better-looking women and with greater frequency than any other flavor of climber. especially if they festoon themselves with a pair of harpoons on their feet, some madame hook's in their paws, and all manner of trango gear everywhere else! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(by the way, i spoke with that redneck raconteur, griggers, the other day. know what he's been doing? shocking fish with his trout unlimited cronies. they count them when they float to the surface. he swears it doesn't hurt the fish [they recover and swim away], but he refuses to let me poke HIM with a cattle prod!)

punk

Sep 7, 2003, 4:13 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

No it is not worth it!!!
It is cold and miserable DON’T DO IT
Pick up ski instead or better yet snowboarding the chicks are nicer there and u might get to score…just let it go
Or go to the Gym
But if u decided u would like to do it a set of right size cajunes with saint attitude that all u need

brutusofwyde

Sep 7, 2003, 4:29 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Only thing is don't believe the fact that you'll ever stop ripping stuff with crampons. I've seen photos of the good climbers with patches on there gaitors and pants and other gear. It's gonna get ripped eventually. Just by some goretex fabric repair when you buy the crampons.

Respectfully disagree. Get long gaitors made out of heavy nylon (Pack cloth or better yet cordura) then coat them with Seam Grip. Put on a coating layer inside and out. This "armor plating" will shed 99% of your crampon strikes with no damage. If you're kicking yourself above the knee, of course, it won't help, but that means you're a lot more flexible than I.

[lots of good advice and information snipped]

In reply to:
Good luck.

Second that.

Brutus of Wyde
Old Climbers' Home
Oakland, California

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register