Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Confused trying to find Tilbury, PA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

davidcollins

Sep 22, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Confused trying to find Tilbury, PA  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northeastern_Region: Tilbury_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone out there have the latest on access and directions to the climbing area at Tilbury, PA?

Today, following the directions in the routes DB, my wife and I made it into the subdivision at the end of Tilbury terrace. There are two cliffbands visible. We headed for the left one (west), found some parking in front of a vacant lot and hiked along the forest road and up the awful scree and dirt slope. Finding the rock was not hard but there was no sign of any previous climbing (the rock was dusty and looked pretty loose). So we returned to the car and drove to the other end of the subdivision. The other cliffband was clearly visible, but seemed to be blocked by private yards. Is that where the climbing routes are? Can anyone tell me the location of the trailhead and where to park?

David

roclimb

Sep 22, 2003, 2:51 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Re: Confused trying to find Tilbury, PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The pull off in the resedintial area is the spot. It is a very access sensitive area. The cliff is on public land but the parking situation is less than ideal. If the lot is full go climb someplace else. For the most part the house owners have been accepting of climbers but it is a situation waiting to happen. Cars have been tickited and towed in the past.
Moc Wall is better anyway.
~Rob

davidcollins

Sep 22, 2003, 3:42 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The pull off in the resedintial area is the spot. It is a very access sensitive area. The cliff is on public land but the parking situation is less than ideal. If the lot is full go climb someplace else. For the most part the house owners have been accepting of climbers but it is a situation waiting to happen. Cars have been tickited and towed in the past.
Moc Wall is better anyway.
~Rob

Rob

Thanks for the reply. I'm now still wondering if we found the correct area. Do you mean the pulloff on the western side of the residential area? We got there by turning left at the first intersection. No-one else was parked there.

There was a dirt road heading west into the forest that did not seem to be on private land.

Then, which of the two cliffbands has the better climbing? The rock quality on the western one varied from bad to perhaps acceptible. We saw no bolts or chalk. We could not make it to the eastern cliffband.

David

roclimb

Sep 22, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The main area and parking is to the right of the intersection at a 90 deg. turn in the road. You can almost see the rock from the parking. The red shale cliff that is up high on the ridge is choss and rarely people climb there. There are only some old mankey pins there. The main spot is the white cliff band down low on the ridge. When you come in you will see Saint Louis and the old 5.13 that was chopped.
~Rob

davidcollins

Sep 22, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The main area and parking is to the right of the intersection at a 90 deg. turn in the road. You can almost see the rock from the parking. The red shale cliff that is up high on the ridge is choss and rarely people climb there. There are only some old mankey pins there. The main spot is the white cliff band down low on the ridge. When you come in you will see Saint Louis and the old 5.13 that was chopped.
~Rob

Ok, so we must have looked at the wrong cliffband. We did drive down to the right end, saw some more rock but did not see anywhere to park or anyway to hike in, unless it was through the area posted with "No Dumping" signs.

phyreman

Sep 22, 2003, 9:42 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's the one. There is a newish looking 'No Dumping' and 'No Parking' sign at a 90 degree turn in the road. That's where we usually enter. I talked to some other climbers the last time I was there and they suggested dropping off all but one person and the gear and parking at a diner down in town and walking back in. I've never had a problem in 3 years but with those signs I imagine it's an issue waiting to happen.

I live about 50 minutes from Tilbury, PM me if you ever want to climb, I'm always up for it if I can get around my work schedule...

Oh, and regarding Moc being better, I prefer tilbury since there are at least routes <=5.7, I've only found 2 at Moc... If you climb 5.10 and up then Moc is definitely the place to be.

danlex9

Sep 6, 2012, 9:51 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidcollins] Confused trying to find Tilbury, PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the correct name of the city is West Nanticoke found in Plymouth township. hope that helps as far as mapquest, also its Tilbury not Tillbury theres only one l. As of today a few of the home on the terrance are currently for sale so parking in front of them may not present a problem. fairly certain they are empty. but if you still find people mad at you, you can continue down rt 11 and turn right (or left from rt29) onto east poplar street. if you drive til you see a large building, thats the town fire station. if your looking at the station to the left you will see a large vacant lot of grass and gravel where a few homes once stood. the township is constructing a road to the terrace from this spot. you may find it a lot simpler to park along the curb or in the grass. DO NOT park in the fire station lot or the stations lot across the street. its a bit of a hike but you will come across some atv tracks that will lead you to the base of tilbury knob. good luck see ya there.Tongue

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook