Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

rckclimbergurl

Sep 30, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #1 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Dreadlocks - your thoughts??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everybody!

I've been wanting to get dreads since december of 2002. I was just wondering if there were any ladies out there that have dreads, and if you could share your thoughts, stories, the way people treat you at your job, on the street, etc.

I know the majority of the population thinks that dreads are dirty, smelly, unsanitary, etc. but that's just because most of you don't know the truth about them. You just know what you think is right, because it's all the stereotypes that float around this sort of hairstyle. If you'd actually borrow a book, or research them a bit on the net, then you'd find that they're actually one of the healthiest styles around, (literally speaking!) Not healthy as in able to brush them out every morning (hehe), but there are no special products and chemicals that you use for dreads, unlike hairspray, and special shampoo, etc.

I can understand that many people don't like dreads, everyone's different and has their own opinions, but if you're going to insult the hairstyle, at least know the facts.

Anyways, enough ranting, who here has them, and what are your experiences with them? Has it changed your life at all? If so, how? Oh, and even if you don't have dreads, you can still speak your mind! This website is open to everyone, shouldn't the threads??

Peace
:)

debsanders

Sep 30, 2003, 3:07 AM
Post #2 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dreadlocks - your thoughts?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My oldest boy had some great looking dreads for several years. He got head lice and thus the end of the dreaded locks.

He looked great with them though. He was out there and that was how people viewed him; out there, going to the rainbow gathering and such.

There is a salon school next to our climbing gym, and they do temporary dread locks. I'd suggest you go that route first and see if you are treated differently. An experiment in socialogical behavior, if you will.

jt512

Sep 30, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #3 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know the majority of the population thinks that dreads are dirty, smelly, unsanitary, etc. but that's just because most of you don't know the truth about them. You just know what you think is right, because it's all the stereotypes that float around this sort of hairstyle.
In reply to:
My oldest boy had some great looking dreads for several years. He got head lice and thus the end of the dreaded locks.

Damn those stereotypical head lice.

-Jay

rckclimbergurl

Sep 30, 2003, 3:30 AM
Post #4 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, k, that's true jt, but if you look after them really well, and put the time and effort in, they should be fin, (that's at least what I've read over and over again, hehe) You do have a point though.

Debsanders, that's good advice too, I've thought of that, I just can't find anywhere where I am to do the temporary thing (that's what my mom would prefer.) But it's a really good idea to try it and see if how people would act around me, treat me, etc. Good idea!

Anyone else? :roll:

krave

Sep 30, 2003, 6:12 AM
Post #5 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be prepared for people to assume you are Rastafarian. I have afriend with dreds, and she gets asked if she's rastafarian...One time a guy came up to her an asked her if she could tell him about the rasta religion, she responded, " THe first thing you need to know is not everyone with dreds is a rasta!"

Also, there are clean dreds and dirty stinky dreds, I have had friends with both. THe friend above has nice clean nonsmelly ones, and another friend of mine had dirty stinky ones, and he had to cut them off cuz they were infested. So keep em clean.

J

climberliz

Sep 30, 2003, 9:18 AM
Post #6 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally have never had dreds, but a friend of mine used to. As she's now leaving college, she cut them off when searching for a "real job." Although she's still a great lookin gal, I think it's a shame she had to cut her hair. Boo for social pressure. Hopefully your foray into fun hair goes better!

gblauer

Sep 30, 2003, 1:34 PM
Post #7 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here is the opinion of an older person...

I think they are way cute on a kid...high school, college, 20 something. Would I hire a kid with dreads? Not sure, depends on the line of work. In my work (consulting), I would be hard pressed to hire someone with dreads, since appearance is everything. ON the other hand, if you were fabulously wonderful...I would find a way.

Bottom line, go for it. You only live once. Hair grows back. Have fun and live your life with no regrets.

crazygirl

Sep 30, 2003, 1:45 PM
Post #8 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend who is now in her 50's, and has dreadlocks. No one asks her is she is making a statement, thats just the way she is.

gretchino

Sep 30, 2003, 7:48 PM
Post #9 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Basically do what you want to do. It seems that you have already put a lot of thought and done some research to sway you one way or the other. Personally, I don't care for them all that much. That said, you could (and I'm sure you would) look adorible with dreads, who knows until you do it right?
Go for it...all you have to loose is your hair...and it grows back! :wink:

rckclimbergurl

Sep 30, 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #10 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the support and interesting view points everyone!
:)

debsanders

Oct 1, 2003, 2:58 AM
Post #11 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We dreads and pictures in 3, 6, and 9 months.

Just another Mom,

p.s. my son has red hair also, dreadlocks with red hair are the best

rckclimbergurl

Oct 1, 2003, 3:45 AM
Post #12 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really?? Awesome!! That's another thing that I've been a bit skeptical (sp?) about, is that I haven't seen a lot of people that have dreads with red hair. I'm so excited though!! I'll post pics for sure, that is, if you guys wanna see 'em! :wink:

By all means, if you have anything to say.....say it!

:D

mreardon

Oct 1, 2003, 4:31 PM
Post #13 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To keep dreds clean, you will spend as much, if not more, time and products to do so. This whole, saves on soaps, hairspray, etc. stuff is basically nonsense. If anything, you'll likely spend more time trying to determine what is dirt, and what's a knotted hairball that you want to straighten out to stop the headache. But do keep them clean, because one instance of unhealth, and you'll have to shave them off. ruining all the work it took to get them to where you're comfortable.

As for the look, that's a personal choice. But do be prepared for people to ask questions, and once in a while look disgusted. It's the nature of being non-conformist. If you were a muslim cap to keep your hair from blowing in the wind, expect people to ask what it's like being muslim. If you have a bright red mohawk and show up at a law firm looking for work, people will think differently of your abilities to present yourself. I've done both, even having a moment with police in Kansas because of the mohawk. Now because I just have long blonde hair and live near Malibu, immediately everyone assumes I surf. I sink. :lol:

sroehlk

Oct 1, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #14 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're young so do it. There is plenty of time to have a "normal" hairstyle when you're older.

blackmountaineer

Oct 1, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #15 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's this beautiful coffee table book with pictures of all kinds of different people with dreads. You should check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/...707?v=glance&s=books

I met the photographer of this book and he has some great stories. Alice Walker (who wrote the foreword) was actually surprised to see that he was just an average white guy without dreads. Even she assumed that only someone with dreads would see so much beauty in them. She then proceeded to grill him on why he didn't have them. :)

As far as non-comformity, if a recent college grad starting at my very conservative company came and asked my opinion, I'd caution her that it could hold her back in ways she'll never even notice. In a lot of areas, though, it doesn't really matter. In some professional areas, it could even be a benefit (a recent Harvard Business Review article mentions how television executives will often be biased in favor of a pitch because the person presenting looked like a creative, artistic type.)

Personally, I think it's great.

rckclimbergurl

Oct 2, 2003, 1:27 AM
Post #16 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There's this beautiful coffee table book with pictures of all kinds of different people with dreads. You should check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/...707?v=glance&s=books

I met the photographer of this book and he has some great stories. Alice Walker (who wrote the foreword) was actually surprised to see that he was just an average white guy without dreads. Even she assumed that only someone with dreads would see so much beauty in them. She then proceeded to grill him on why he didn't have them. :)

As far as non-comformity, if a recent college grad starting at my very conservative company came and asked my opinion, I'd caution her that it could hold her back in ways she'll never even notice. In a lot of areas, though, it doesn't really matter. In some professional areas, it could even be a benefit (a recent Harvard Business Review article mentions how television executives will often be biased in favor of a pitch because the person presenting looked like a creative, artistic type.)

Personally, I think it's great.

Far out! I actually rented that exact book from the library about a week ago, and have read the whole thing (not to mention looked at the pictures! :wink: ) cover to cover. It's a really neat book!

bigwalljunkie

Oct 2, 2003, 5:15 PM
Post #17 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well i have to say i have been dreading my hair since about 91 or so and now they are past my ass...i have to say that reactions to this "look" vary but for the most part people say they are beautiful. I agree with them and would never consider cutting my hair for a job or bow to social pressure..if you really want dreads then they will happen for you and the most important realization you could have is to be strong because many people will tell you what you "need to look like" or how you should be..realize you are showing how you really feel inside and it's not just to look cool....never give in if this is what you want...

krestkid

Oct 2, 2003, 7:46 PM
Post #18 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not familiar with dreadlocks...how do you get your hair to do that? I think they are so cool, not for me but for others more power to them. Just wondering how someone would go about getting dreads?

climber49er

Oct 2, 2003, 8:37 PM
Post #19 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have any idea why but I don't find them appealing at all. The can look ok on some guys, but I think they look awful on women.

I also think they look better on blacks than on whites.

So I guess that creates sort of a heirarchy for me:

Somewhat acceptable on a black guy / butt ugly on a white girl.

rckclimbergurl

Oct 2, 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #20 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not familiar with dreadlocks...how do you get your hair to do that? I think they are so cool, not for me but for others more power to them. Just wondering how someone would go about getting dreads?

There's several ways that you can get 'em done. All dreadlocks are is a bunch of notted up hair in, well, locks. You can either back comb them then roll a special type of Wax (Knotty Boy, Dreadhead, etc.) You can get a dreadperm done, they put chemicals in your hair so they're nice and tight from day one. There's the rip and twist method, but I think that would be very painful! There's one where you get a wool sweater and rub it around on your head for like half an hour, then try to sort them into sections. (<---- A friend of mine did that one, he's already cut them off though) There are various other ways, but these are the most popular. And no, you don't use honey or peanut butter to get them to stay together. That would attract bugs, they'd be smelly, need I say more??

Another friend of mine might be getting them too, that'd be sweet!

jakedatc

Oct 2, 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #21 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey tedi (cute name.. i like it)

is your hair short like in the first pic? or long like in the others now?

either way i think you'd look good with them.

i dunno what Climber49 is talking about but i've seen white guys that make it work for them .. actually had a photo prof. with them last year. and also blonde girls with them and also looked good. Never red though so you better post pics :)

Jake

rckclimbergurl

Oct 2, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #22 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's long now, past my shoulders. That picture was taken about 1 1/2 years ago!!

I'll be sure to post pics, never fear!!

krestkid

Oct 8, 2003, 12:03 AM
Post #23 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a salon school next to our climbing gym, and they do temporary dread locks.
In reply to:

I am interested in getting temporary dreads...I assume that they come out or do you have to cut them off??

debsanders

Oct 8, 2003, 1:24 AM
Post #24 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is a salon school next to our climbing gym, and they do temporary dread locks.
In reply to:

I am interested in getting temporary dreads...I assume that they come out or do you have to cut them off??

The first time you wash your hair they are out. I think they puts lots and lots of gel/glue/gunk, 3g's, in your hair to make the dreads. The place is right next to Exposure Rock Climbing Gym. A friend of mine got them several months ago. He had fun for a couple of days. Of course with a name like crazy greg you have fun every day. :wink:

krestkid

Oct 8, 2003, 2:30 AM
Post #25 of 51 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to look into it...I'm assuming this salon is in Dallas? It's only a short drive from Waco. Thanks for the info!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook