RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Sep 25, 2003, 7:05 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

The Strong Climbing Women
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So what identifies you as one?
Not just physical strength and climbing long routes, leading, going to adventurous areas, but being self-confident in other areas of your life as well.

What are your feelings ?

For me I am now more able to keep going at things more tenaciously in every area of my life.

jay_climbingchick

Sep 25, 2003, 9:12 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Strong Climbing Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think not only physically strong but mental as well, on the rock and off.

climbingbetty22

Sep 26, 2003, 3:57 AM
Post #3 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I cherish; what I feel makes me a strong climbing woman is skill. Placing gear, setting anchors, knowing what I am doing and also teaching that to others makes me feel strong. Being resposnible for my own safety because I understand the systems, the beauty of movement, that's what strength is for me.

enigma

Sep 30, 2003, 7:51 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What I cherish; what I feel makes me a strong climbing woman is skill. Placing gear, setting anchors, knowing what I am doing and also teaching that to others makes me feel strong. Being resposnible for my own safety because I understand the systems, the beauty of movement, that's what strength is for me.

That's a great response. :P

just_me

Sep 30, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Betty,

I really like your answer. Way too often I see women climbing outside who are totally clueless. These women may know how to climb, but they know nothing about “climbing” and safety. They can’t do simple things like secure themselves to an anchor, and thread the rope to rap off a sport climb.

Saturday I saw a woman take her friend completely off belay when he yelled “TAKE”. Luckily, he was still tied into the anchor, or he would have fallen to his death. She thought he meant, “take me off belay”.

You may be able to climb, but I would not call myself a climber until I know how to take care of myself (and my partner) outside. You need to have skills like placing gear, building safe anchors, rappelling, self rescue, rope management, etc.

You need to be an asset to your climbing partner, not a liability.

debsanders

Oct 8, 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ever since this question was posed it has been rolling around my head. But you asked and I've been thinking about it so I must finally answer.

I think climbing is a metaphor (ok some English major or writer set me straight if I have misused this term) for life. We are striving to get to a higher place without falling down. The harder the climb, or situation in life, the more likely we are to fall or fail. It is our mark as strong women to keep climbing or in spite of the consequences of the potential fall. We work at keeping our bodies and minds strong so the next time we are climbing we will be better than before. We improve our technique as we go trying not to make the same mistakes again least we fall some more.

Sometimes we fall in spite of all that we do. How many times have you had a hold break out from under you, sending you down the rock, yelling *&%^%$#%$# in frustration. The same is true for the situations in our lifes that try to hold us down; illness, lost relationships, lost jobs, death, war, etc...

After a fall, we recuperate and there we are again climbing, striving to reach a higher plane. We are women, that's what we do.

I think Gail and Borce are good examples of women that have faced falls in their life and there they are climbing on.

I believe that whether you have faced challenges or will in the future, women that climb have healthier attitudes that will see them to the top time and time again.

Most of my challenges were before I started climbing. Some of my difficulties were self imposed while others were what comes along with living. My basic beliefs keep me strong and striving to be a better climber and a better person.

Hmmmm,
Deb

gblauer

Oct 8, 2003, 2:19 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummm...Deb ...thank you.

broce

Oct 8, 2003, 11:50 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sometimes we fall in spite of all that we do. How many times have you had a hold break out from under you, sending you down the rock, yelling *&%^%$#%$# in frustration. The same is true for the situations in our lifes that try to hold us down; illness, lost relationships, lost jobs, death, war, etc...

After a fall, we recuperate and there we are again climbing, striving to reach a higher plane. We are women, that's what we do.

Deb

Deb,
What a terrific post! Yeah, we are women, and thats what women have always done....we hold it together for everyone else. We get up and dust outselves off and move on. Sometimes, we forget to hold it together for ourselves though, and thats something that climbing can help us remember to do, in my opinion. That constant reminder is one reason it is so important to me to be climbing again.

Broce :)

dynamitegirl

Dec 26, 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I am not yet a woman I decided to say something.....Climbing and tough outdoor adventures let me turn into a selfconfident independent girl......and I am really happy bout that! And apart from climbing I also get that strong feeling when i see the other girls my age that are all the same....and I feel strong of being different and not afraid of showing that. and that let me know who are the few persons out there that are real friends....that accept me the way i am, although I am different!!!

enigma

Dec 27, 2003, 9:20 AM
Post #10 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Although I am not yet a woman I decided to say something.....Climbing and tough outdoor adventures let me turn into a selfconfident independent girl......and I am really happy bout that! And apart from climbing I also get that strong feeling when i see the other girls my age that are all the same....and I feel strong of being different and not afraid of showing that. and that let me know who are the few persons out there that are real friends....that accept me the way i am, although I am different!!!

You certainly look strong in your profile. Integrity and being yourself is worth alot more than people realize these days.
At least in Europe you have a chance to express your differences, and have some true friends that can appreciate you individualilty. Keep Climbing 8)

dynamitegirl

Dec 27, 2003, 11:45 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You certainly look strong in your profile. Integrity and being yourself is worth alot more than people realize these days.
At least in Europe you have a chance to express your differences, and have some true friends that can appreciate you individualilty. Keep Climbing 8)

:D Thanx :!:

aimeerose

Dec 30, 2003, 1:35 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lead trad or sport. I put the draws up for my husband (and he returns the favor if I want him too). I'm usually one of the strongest women at a sport crag or bouldering area and often the only one leading. That makes me feel like I'm pretty strong. So far, I've been able to get at least a little stronger each year and that's nice too. Someday I won't be one of the strongest ladies around, but I will still love climbing.

unabonger

Jan 2, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know what makes a Strong Climbing Woman? The same thing that makes a Strong Climbing Man.

Anyone can do a route safely within their ability. But who really knows their limits and wants to extend them? The Strong, that's who.

Anyone can thrash like a tethered rabid dog on a climb. Who can come down to push again later? The Strong!

After one successful 10a, anyone can say they are "a 5.10 climber". But who can succeed on one 10a and say "I'm pretty solid on 5.9"? The Strong can!

Anyone can try to put draws on a route. But who can admit they are too weak to put them up, and feel no shame, and not be a whining, excuse making putz? Only The Strong.

Anyone can belay. But who gives their full attention and a solid spot to the climber before the first gear? Who reels and deals the rope so that their climber is confident they can slam that next clip without being shortroped? That's right--The Strong!

Anyone can "go climbing". But who can carry extra water? Who helps keep the rope out of the dirt? Who shares organizational tasks and cooking? The Strong!

You see--Strength in climbing is many things. It is about an honest appraisal of your limits. It is about being a solid part of a team. And mostly it is about being very, very good looking. Because men and women will forgive most of your faults if you are hot...it's just the most important thing to be, period.

The PrettyBonger

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook