RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

jenga

Oct 12, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Grand Ledge MI
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I heard that there is now a climbing ban at the ledges in Grand Ledge. does that mean that no one can climb there anymore. if so when does the ban take affect so I can make sure I climb there one last time.

cliffmonkey2003

Oct 12, 2003, 8:43 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Re: Grand Ledge MI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, MI climbers don't have anything besides Grand Ledge. That's like a "Kick 'em while they're down." kind of thing. That blows. My condolences to every climber in MI.

jackflash

Oct 12, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What ban?

I was just there climbing today as were at least twenty other people. No cops showed up to tell us we couldn't climb.

There were guiding services there as well, and the Vertical Ventures group had been climbing the day before. If there was a ban, I think they'd have known about it.

euphoricclimbing

Oct 12, 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, glad this message was brought up. I am a climber from michigan who frequents the ledges often. I read an article in the kalamazoo newspaper(10/11/03) that interviewed mike hood - the owner of vertical ventures. He was PROPOSING to establish a ban at the legdes due to the recent increase in traffic, impact, beer cans and human excrement- etc. His biggest fear/concern per the article is damage to the trees at the toe of the cliff offering as toprope anchors. Now, he is a huge part of grand ledge climbing, whether any of us like it or not. He can influence the committe that actually can impose a ban. I do find it little hypocritical of mike to address the issue of increased traffic, since he claimed to have taught about 15,000 people classes specifically at the ledges in the article. So, we all say why doesn't he stop guiding and the impact will be decreased???? He feels the cliffs are his - sersiously, I don't know. Mike has organized a group to help establish clean-up work and other notable activities. I personally know mike minimally - he is truely a good person. So, I know his actions are backed by merit. Okay, that being said let's switch the topic to the real concern: what to do????????
I have noticed changes at the ledges also. Some I can/have to tolerate, but some need quick adjustment. First, to anybody who reads this post - please be an activitist and not a passivist or the ledges may go bye, bye. Tell friends, climbing gyms, anybody who can make a difference. IF you see anybody free soloing at the ledges - make it aware that this in not a lawful practice and if injuried could help impose the ban. Take out all fucking trash - I am tired of seeing this shit increase(my blood pressure went up). Even if you didn't creat the trash, PICK IT UP. Climbers will get the blaim!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use rugs under ropes when toproping. Be respectful to all people who visit and watch at the ledges. No rude looks or attitudes when people ask questions about climbing. Last, minimize the impact of your climbing - the counsal incharge could care less about the local need for a real climbing area. I write this message as a climber - no connects w/ anyone or anybody. I do not speak for any organization. If you address Mike Hood, please be very respectful!!!!! Make the best and most positive reaction from this message or you may have to buy a year's membership at a climbing gym - even in summer. Please write if any questions.

revdeuno

Oct 12, 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing in michigan only sucks in the lower peninsula. But then again the upper peninsula isnt really part of michigan, it's pretty much canada.... but Im a michigan climber and I need no condolences

jt512

Oct 13, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
climbing in michigan only sucks in the lower peninsula. But then again the upper peninsula isnt really part of michigan, it's pretty much canada.... but Im a michigan climber and I need no condolences

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

-Jay

djmeat

Oct 13, 2003, 2:07 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am a Michigan climber. I need no condolences because I'm moving to freakin Colorado. Michigan has better gyms than cliffs.

See sig.

Partner polarwid

Oct 13, 2003, 3:16 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

polarwid moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

polarwid moved this thread from General to Access Issues & Closures.

cheapholds

Oct 16, 2003, 4:13 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vertical Ventures is attempting to stop climbing, and/or obtain full authority over the area. Either way, this is bad. There is a parks and red board meeting on Oct 23rd at 7:30pm in Grand Ledge City Hall to discuss this matter. PLEASE BE THERE. A board member has expressed to me that we need mass support to keep this open. Please email me with any questions at sales@cheapholds.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook